It's February 10, 1992 @ PF.com

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ron Wolf, the Green Bay Packers new GM has just traded ONE of TWO first round picks for a gunslinger who's known to party hardy, is overweight and has only thrown five passes in the NFL. One of which was a TD for the other team, the other two hit the turf.

Recap of his stats...
Four attempts
Sacked once
Two interceptions
Two incompletions

for a first round draft pick ...

Brett failed his physical and the doctors said he'd play 5-7 years because of a hip problem that Bo Jackson had end his career.

I've always been one willing to give someone a chance, but I'd have been hesitatant on this one. I really wanted the Packers to get Desmond Howard. I really liked him for some reason.
I remember playing catch with my dad. After juking the counter, putting a spin move on the fridge an high stepping down the hallway to the end zone (my room) I'd do the heisman pose...
At the time, I'd rather the Packers have traded their two 1st's to acquire Desmond Howard.

I've always heard and believe that you give a guy 2 - 3 years to develop and in Bretts third year (second as a starter) he threw 24 INT's. The only thing I remember liking about him was he was always excited and always got the ball to my then favorite receiver, Sterling Sharpe.

I'd have been critical of the move, but on the fence and bias because I wanted Desmond Howard and felt we could have used those two 1st round picks to get him, even tho I knew he wasn't worth two lol, but hell he was my second favorite player next to Barry Sanders.

What would you have said about the Brett Favre trade?
We all know what happened, but I'm curious to how many will be honest and what you'd have said. We didn't have forums as abundant then as we do now so I can't search back on it, so answer honestly and let's see what we all say.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always wondered what people would have said on forums about this..

I bet a majority of people would have trashed Ron at the time..

The Pack had the Majik man, why would they need to use a 1st rounder on a guy like that?

Look at how people trash Ted for taking Rodgers..Same people that bash Ted for that pick would have been bashing Ron even worse..

I truly can't recall how I felt at the time....All I really remember about it was watching him in his 1st game vs Cinncy..

And then about 2 years later a co-worker was always saying how Brett was nothing more then a 3rd stringer..

And if I think back he was the only one saying that ..( once Brett became the starter and was in his 2nd year)

Once he won his 1st MVP that guy changed his tune

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If you looked at his pro stats and the stuff comming out of ATL at the time.. "hillbilly quarterback" and other not so flattering stuff, that Wolf was crazy to give up a first rounder..

However if you watched him play at southern Miss and the pre-draft information, he had a world of talent.

It was a huge gamble for Wolf at the time, but one that made him into a legend.

I would have been much like I am about Harrell... waiting to see how a defining moment of a GM's career turns out. Ted gambled a 1st on a talented but injured kid when no one was expecting it. Roll the dice...

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My response simiply would have been, "Who?"

Watching Brett in his first two years I thought he was something special. (although I was biased because I partied with him on night in Milwaukee after a game)

He made plays that normal QB's just don't make. He never gave you the feeling that the play was dead until the wistle was blown. He made throws that shouldn't have even been attempted, much less completed. He threw sucsessfully to Sharpe on third and long even though the whole world knew it was going there and triple teamed him. He was amazing.

Did he do boneheaded things? of course. But in a young player, you look for the great abilities and hope you can fine tune the rough edges. I distinctly remember how great I thought he could be but was not sure at all if he would ever be disciplined enough to cut down on the bonehead plays.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Watching Brett in his first two years I thought he was something special. (although I was biased because I partied with him on night in Milwaukee after a game)

Did you ever make it to the "broke spoke" his brother Scotty's bar?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have done the exact same thing. Ron actually called me to ask for advice on the matter. He would have never pulled the trigger without me.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf Sucks.... we need to go out and get big name players and give the Majic man something to work with. im tired of this fly by night management ... making nothing moves like trading for a drunken Quarterback from Atlanta. This sucks... im gonna jump off a bridge and whine for two years about this.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
very nice thread. a very cool idea.

any of you here about how brett favre won a $100 bet from the owner of the falcons (arthur blank???)?

he bet favre that he could not throw a football from the field to the highest section of the stadium.

when brett left practice that day, he was still a backup, but he was $100 richer!!!

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a different view on the subject than most . I was ecstatic when the Packers traded for Favre, Reason being I grew up in MS. and was a Favre fan since he was a 17 year old freshman. I knew from the first time I saw him play his freshman year that he'd be a pro QB one day. I'd be lying though if I said I thought at the time he would ever accomplish all that he has.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
very nice thread. a very cool idea.

any of you here about how brett favre won a $100 bet from the owner of the falcons (arthur blank???)?

he bet favre that he could not throw a football from the field to the highest section of the stadium.

when brett left practice that day, he was still a backup, but he was $100 richer!!!

Thought it was Glanville?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said "Brett WHO?" But i wasn't mad or anything. I figured that he could be bad or good, and i sure wasn't in any position to judge him either way.

I got his autograph as he came off the practice field in 1992, and he was real nice, so I liked him. Of course at that time i had NO clue that he was gonna be what he truned out to be.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

I have been there six or seven times, my last one about 5 or 6 years ago...

Good times.....

One day I got very drunk drinking Jack and washing it down with Beer.

Is it still open???

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
trippster said:

I have been there six or seven times, my last one about 5 or 6 years ago...

Good times.....

One day I got very drunk drinking Jack and washing it down with Beer.

Is it still open???
Last i heard it burned down. Does anyone know if they rebuilt it?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said "Brett WHO?" But i wasn't mad or anything. I figured that he could be bad or good, and i sure wasn't in any position to judge him either way.

I got his autograph as he came off the practice field in 1992, and he was real nice, so I liked him. Of course at that time i had NO clue that he was gonna be what he truned out to be.

for the most part, cheesey, my reactions to personel moves are all very similar to this. Harrel? James Jones? Ahmad Carrol? I don't do much research on new prospects. So either way, they may be good or bad. I trust the FO to do their job and bring in good young players. I trusted Ron, I trust Ted Thompson. I may not know who these young players are when they bring them in, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too Bozz......i don't really follow college football, except for the Wisconsin Badgers. So i really can't moan when i don't really know alot about the college kids.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to the broke spoke here in WI once but there wasn't anything special. Never been to broke spoke in the Kiln. Want to though.

It was fun partying with Brett and his buddies. brett was very quiet. All his buddies from his college team were there for the weekend. We were at Luke's on Water street. Also, I can't remember his name but one of the defensive backs was there too. He told me he played for the packers but I wouldn't believe him because he was too small. A really nice kid. He. I think, came from a school like North Dakota or something like that. Well, turns out, he wa telling the truth as I saw his pic on tv. Had a long talk with him about football and being in the pros. Didn't talk to Brett too much as he kind of kept to himself.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well zero your wish still came true we got desmond howard, and i still dont understand this but he was superbowl MVP and then the next year was unwelcomed back? I just dont understand how that happens.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, back in '92, I was too busy in college to tell you what the Packers were doing behind the scenes. Plus, not having internet access back then, I only saw the games that made it to the TV screen and read the stats the next day in the paper, so don't know a tenth of what I know now.

What a surprise the very next year, I watch the Packers and they're winning games. That Brett Favre guy was really good.

So no, I wasn't thinking Ron Wolf was dumb for trading for Favre. I didn't even know it happened.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
well zero your wish still came true we got desmond howard, and i still dont understand this but he was superbowl MVP and then the next year was unwelcomed back? I just dont understand how that happens.

We sure did. I was actually grounded the day it was announced he signed. My punishment was to sit with the family in the living room an watch TV. (i had too much cool **** in my room to ground me to my room :) )
Anyways, we were watching the news and thats when I seen it, I jumped up, swung my fist in excitement hitting the ceiling and my dad just laughed. He remembered the days of me doing the heisman pose.

Desmond was wanted back, however, he wanted to be more than a returner. He wanted to be a starting WR, or atleast third with a significant WR role. The Raiders offered him that on paper, but never delivered because Desmond was not a threat as a WR. He couldn't get open.

He wanted to stay here, the Packers wanted him, but Desmonds wants outweighed it all.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I went to the broke spoke here in WI once but there wasn't anything special. Never been to broke spoke in the Kiln. Want to though.

It was fun partying with Brett and his buddies. brett was very quiet. All his buddies from his college team were there for the weekend. We were at Luke's on Water street. Also, I can't remember his name but one of the defensive backs was there too. He told me he played for the packers but I wouldn't believe him because he was too small. A really nice kid. He. I think, came from a school like North Dakota or something like that. Well, turns out, he wa telling the truth as I saw his pic on tv. Had a long talk with him about football and being in the pros. Didn't talk to Brett too much as he kind of kept to himself.

I was there a couple of times, yes it wasn't what I expected but still pretty cool. Brett was there one of the times, however much the same as he kept to himself with one exception, however that is another story...

Best Packer experience for me outside the game was a party thrown by Edgar and LeRoy in like 93 or 94 while I worked at Gandrud Chevrolet.. Edgar had bought a K-5 Blazer and invited some of us at the dealership to the bash.. got to talk to quite a few of the Packers moreso about life than the game.

olddavid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My grandpa couldn't stand him. He throws too many int's he'd say. I'm a fan, but there is one QB I would take before Favre. Holmgren settled Favre down, he was the best thing for him. Favre isn't stupid he knew alot of those high int years he had to force things because the D wasn't going to stand up. He's getting better, I think, in his older age. More calm and collective. CRRRRRRUUUUUSSSSHHH the queens!!!!

Members online

Latest posts