1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

IT'S EVIL DISCRIMINATION!!!!

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by CaliforniaCheez, May 26, 2008.

1. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    http://kob.com/article/stories/S451152.shtml?cat=517

A group in Santa Fe says the city is discriminating against them because they say that they're allergic to the wireless Internet signal. And now they want Wi-Fi banned from public buildings.

Arthur Firstenberg says he is highly sensitive to certain types of electric fields, including wireless Internet and cell phones.

"I get chest pain and it doesn't go away right away," he said.

Firstenberg and dozens of other electro-sensitive people in Santa Fe claim that putting up Wi-Fi in public places is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The city attorney is now checking to see if putting up Wi-Fi could be considered discrimination.

Just as the placebo effect is real, I believe some people get ill once they learn of something new (and discuss it with an attorney).

2. Since69

Since69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ummm.... nagunnahappon.

First off, I'll bet just about anything that unless he has a pacemaker (or needs one) this is all in his head. The general public would probably rather execute people with his condition than give up their wi-fi and cell phones...

Cell phones? Has this guy been in pain for the last 15 years?

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Another guy trying to maybe sue and get rich???
    Just maybe, hey?

4. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Just tell him to put on his tin foil hat!

5. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus......we are doomed!! Unlike any other species in the history of the world, we (humans) facilitate the ascent of the useless in society....constantly accommodating the lowest common denominator in our pursuit of feeling good about ourselves, instead of doing good for the masses.

Where, oh where is a Darwinist disaster to weed out the worthless when you need it??!?

Oh, how I long for a time when our country was not filled with a bunch of weak-minded, spineless Nancy Boys....who sadly gravitate towards politics as a career calling.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,966
    there are people that are highly sensitive to electricity

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :lol:

:yeah:

8. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I wonder if I sued for physical and emotional damage due to paying taxes and the unjust of inequity in income to tax ratio verses the upper class if an eager DA someplace would take on that fight. My children might go without the latest in gaming technology and that just isn't right or fair. :lol:

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ahhh,......the sarcasm in this thread..........i LOVE it!!!LOLOLOL!!!

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sure this is all true.........so then, should we ban cell phones, tear down power lines, and so on for these few people?
    I sometimes feel a strange feeling around high power sources. But i sure don't expect them to get rid of all of it because it might affect me.
    If these people have a problem, then maybe we should open a community where they have none of those things, so that people with that problem can move there.

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    <----Devils advocate

IF this is really true and these people are severely affected by it, could this be on the same level as public smoking?

I can see the principle is the same, the only difference is that it doesn't effect the same amount of people as smoking.

12. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Amish anyone?

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats just it.......it's a miniscule amount of people. So should the entire country be banning the use of these items because a handful of people are affected by it?
    I don't think thats even possible.

14. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Have them all move out to the country by Neillsville, Wisconsin. It's mostly Amish out there. My cell phone doesn't even work in that area.( no towers)

15. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Ahhh come a bit further north.. to the land of dial up and rotary phones.. lol.

16. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

I haven't seen those since............. I think my parents had the last rotary phone I saw. The '70s maybe?

17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    How do YOU know it is a tiny amount?

I am willing to bet that there are MANY people that feel a little sick near stuff like that but have no idea those things are the cause of the illness..

I am not saying they are right in trying to sue the providers, what I am saying is that at least listen to their complaints and see if something can be done

18. PackerGeek

PackerGeek Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    okay just my two cents but everyone feels this way about people who have a problem that they don't have. Especially, one that is relatively foreign to you. For example I have seen parents outraged because they couldn't bring peanut butter cookies to school for their kids birthday. Heck they were even willing to throw a couple of chocolate chip cookies in the bowl for the kids who couldn't eat peanut butter. what they didn't understand that in a portion of the poeple any conatct with peanuts is deadly. It's all fine and good to say "well that's ony a small minority of kids" untill someone goes into convulsions in front of their class.

My point is, it's easy to say "facilitate the ascent of the useless in society" until you are one of those people. We all know people with disabilities and we all know how hard it to deal with a disability. but it's funny how quick we are to ignore that when it inconvenineces us. The real question is how far can we go to compensate for peoples disabilities. If I remember correctly the Americans with disabilities act says you have to make "reasonable" accomodations for a disabled person. Eliminating WI-FI or cell phones is probably not resonable but maybe we end up with some waiting rooms that are shielded, or we use higher frequencies in public building to minimize the effect or we make them make the adjustment because we can't find a "reasonable solution. now, all that being said I certainly have my questions about this particular affliction, but I'm not willing to right it off untill I see some research done either way.

okay I'm done being self rightous now....plus my beers empty.

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    Perfectly said!!!

Have another beer!

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok....i AM disabled. I get vertigo from my bilareral Meniere's disease all the time. Should i expect them to put handrails up everywhere to help me keep my balance? I know there are lots of people that have the disease i have. Plus all the older people that could use the handrails just because of old age. So all businesses should have to put handrails on every exterior wall. And stores should have to build handrails up and down every aisle.
    If it's feesible to stop people from using cell phones and the like, why not make everyone do the handrails too?
    Packergeek.......do you have a disability? Or does someone in your family have one? I was just wondering.

21. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    How do YOU know it's a large amount?
    I can be just as willing to bet it's a small amount. Can YOU prove it's a large amount of people? Don't think so.
    Like i said........if they want to solve the problem for these people, move them to an area where cell phone use is small. I NEVER said don't listen to them and don't try to do anything. I just said that ending cell phone use WON'T happen. Heck, we can't even get people to hang the damn things up when they are driving.
    Problem solved.

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,966
    I can give you research on how many people are affected by EHS..

Figures are between 5-10% of the population are affected..

100 people in a building that = 5 to 10 people..big amount? Not really, but probably bigger then what my son has or what you have..

I know EXACTLY what it is like to have to deal with handicap issues when going out in public..What do I do when I know I can not move JJ around in a certain area? I just dont go near that area..Or if I MUST be there, I try to handle it the best I can..At least I am aware of what to expect..

You know what is around a public area when you go near it...If your feeling okay you probably would go there, if your not, you wont go anywhere near it..Again you are aware or what is around you..

People affected by EHS have NO clue what is buzzing around them..So they can not stop it from happening..

They can be warned that certain things are in the building or what ever, so they can make their OWN judgment call on weather or not to be in that building..

23. PackerGeek

PackerGeek Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    While I don't have a disability several close family members do have so I understand their issues and the things they face. I don't know anything about your disability so without knowing the effect or how widespread the disability is I guess I can't say what is or isn't reasonable. However, I don't see why reasonable accomodations can't be made for it. You mentioned handrails in the aisles in stores, but most stores have carts attacthed to scooters, to me thats a reasonable accomodation to make. My issue isn't that their request is reasonable,I absolutely think it's not. My issue is that people were so quick to make it seem like these people and this disability should be ignored. Just because we don't suffer that particular disability doesn't mean they can write these people off as useless or assume they are trying to cash in on a lawsuit. When I see lawsuits that ask for unreasonable thing I usiually think of it as negotiating ploy. Go in high ask for a complete ban, and then end up settling for a waiting room with extra insulation from these type of things when public buildings are gutted and remodeled or a new one built that is going to have a certain amount of electromagnetic fields.

24. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the police don't point a radar gun at those folks.

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree that we should try to help these people, as much as we can. Unfortunatly, how do you change the world for these 5%? My particular disease is a somewhat rare one. I was told it was in the top 10 of rarest. But i also believe alot of people have it, that don't have a clue whats happening to them. I have talked to people that have had the disease for years, going from doctor to doctor, before one finally realized what it was. Many thought it was "just in their minds". I also have tinitus, which William Shatner has. He almost committed suicide because of it.
    We should try to help people as much as possible. But there are some things that just can't be done. Or at least will take many years to change.
    I remember when i was a kid, you would walk the sidewalks, and there were no "ramp" areas at corners. Now, 35 years later, almost every corner has it, for wheelchairs. But it took a LONG time to get done. As sidewalks had to be replaced, they put the ramps in.
    As far as the scooters in stores..........i HATE to use them, as i get dirty looks the few times i did. People can't SEE anything wrong with me, so they think i'm just playing with the scooter. Using something thats only for disabled people. I'd rather stagger and have people think I'm drunk then get all the snotty looks from people that don't have a CLUE what it's like to live with what i have.
    Do you know what it's like to get pulled over by a cop in the middle of the day when your WALKING? I do.
    Once i explained it to the cop, he was very nice to me and always waved when he saw me walking. Even though I'm disabled, i try to remain active. I also have high blood pressure and diabetes. So if i don't TRY to walk and do things, i will just get fatter and my blood sugar will jusy keep going up.
    So i fight back, as best i can.