It's 5am - and ESPN said......

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN is running their SportsCenter Show - and they yakked about Culpepper & Brees... then said... that Brett told Green Bay. to......

GET BUSY !

(Heck, I just woke up.......)

More to follow - helluva a way to wake up.....

EDIT ***** (5 minutes later.....)

Chris Mortenson says that when Brett talked to McCarthy, over the phone recently, one of the things they talked about was spending some of that 30 million they got laying around. In other words - quit lettin' some of the big names (like Hutchinson) get away!

Bottom line, according to Chris M? If they don't he feels Brett will retire....

(dang and I thought it was gonna be something else entirely - wish they'd quit that....)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why yes, because investing $7 mil per year for a guard, any guard, is a wise financial move. I am sorry, but if this is true, I have lost some respect for Favre. Last year he calls Javon out (rightfully so) for putting himself before team, and here we have #4 POTENTIALLY putting his desires before the teams needs.

Brett, you are paid to play QB, TT is paid to procure players. Let's stick to our defined roles within the organization.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know who could ever loose respect for Brett!!! Hes right get busy TT and sign some big names we have the money and then just maybe we can be a contender for the superbowl...

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey IPB what where you doing awake at 5 AM??? Just arriving home from a night out ??? Have a good day !!

And yes please TT spend some $$$

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack, please do not be so bold as to tell me exactly what I think. The forum already has a clairvoyant that is prone to such behavior........and one is more than enough.

Give the guy the time he needs to decide, and go about signing the players the team needs. If Favre wants to come back, I would be ecstatic. If not, off to cut grass. It is that simple. All I am saying is that the team needs to conduct their business, and Favre needs to conduct his. If they are a match, great, if keeping Favre means sacrificing the future in any way, then he will decide to retire.

I just get the impression from too many posts that people are willing to **** the future away just to keep our beloved leader around. That is not how to build a winner in any business.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I just get the impression from too many posts that people are willing to **** the future away just to keep our beloved leader around. That is not how to build a winner in any business.

I agree, but digs our beloved leader is Ted Thompson -- and what you wrote applies to those who think he is above questioning or that his plan to build a winner is the right course -- since he has not shared such plan, one would need to be clairvoyant to claim to know it.

I like you digs, but there has not been one shred of evidence that Ted Thompson will build a successful business. He screwed up with Hunt, he screwed up with Sherman -- squandering valuable resources in the process. The 2005 Cap hit we took for signing Klemm was not much more than the 2005 CAP hit Carolina took for signing Wahle -- is this the path to success? Is failing to fill roster spots the route? Is surrounding Favre with NFLE level talent the way to build a winner? Is 4 -12 after 15 years without a losing record evidence of building success?

Ted Thompson is a smart man. He was a very good football player and has an eye for evaluating college talent. I believe he has a vision of where he wants to go. I am just not sure he is very realistic about what it takes to get there.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
DePack, please do not be so bold as to tell me exactly what I think. The forum already has a clairvoyant that is prone to such behavior........and one is more than enough.

Give the guy the time he needs to decide, and go about signing the players the team needs. If Favre wants to come back, I would be ecstatic. If not, off to cut grass. It is that simple. All I am saying is that the team needs to conduct their business, and Favre needs to conduct his. If they are a match, great, if keeping Favre means sacrificing the future in any way, then he will decide to retire.

Just telling it like it is. The only thing that gets me riled on this board is the PERCEPTION that Favre is being disrespected. If it is just a perception then I offer my apologies and wil be off to adjust my clairvoyancy :wink: :wink:

And actually, I am willing to "**** the future away to keep our beloved leader around", because I see nothing YET that tells me the future is bright. The future could be the 70's and 80's all over again. I'm willing to put that off a year or two to watch the greatest football player ever play a couple more years.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, I am not so much defending TT as I am responding (recoiling might be a better word) to the folks who want to crucify the guy without having any knowledge of what he is planning to do with regard to players, both via the draft and FA.

None of us know what the team will look like, but I am happy to wait to judge the guy by what is in the cupboard when things shake out. If in the end the team looks bad, well then, let TT have it with both barrels. Until then, some of us should just chill a bit. Kinda like throwing a fit when your marathon runner is back in the pack at the 4 mile mark...premature!

On another note, why is it that Packers fans are, apparently, the only fans in the NFL who do not believe that the cyclic nature of the league will apply to their team. Yes, we had 15 years of success...what, it was supposed to last forever?? We defied the odds going over a decade with a winning team, but one could rightly argue that the last 4 or 5 were nothing but maintaining mediocrity rather than building with the present AND the future in mind. And that left us with a team of little depth, and some contracts that could not be justified. You can certainly make the arguement about Wahle's cap hit for last year, but what is the burden of his entire contract? Our money, like most teams, is tied up with the tackles on the o-line. While it would be nice to have retained Wahle, or chase Hutchinson down, what does that leave you with but little money and a lot of important positions filled with hacks.

I respect your assessment of TT's performance last year. I, however, disagree. The first year, in any business, is getting a feel for the personnel within the organization. Some you will determine are keepers, some are chafe to be cast aside. You cannot know this until you see them perform...and that is what TT did last year, IMHO. He watched, listened and evaluated. Did it cost some dough? Sure. But I would rather that than a guy who came in and just went about the task uninformed.

McMVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you were Brett Favre, wouldn't you want them to "get busy"?

I'm sure McNabb feels the same way about the Eagle's cap room....and he's not even on the verge of retirement yet....

The only difference is the media got wind of Brett's feelings....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how did the media get wind of his feelings? While the media may have run amok with this story, as they do with just about everything, he is not innocent of pouring a little gas on that fire.

Yes, I want the team to "get busy", but I am not willing to overpay, or judge until the task is complete.

Look, in a week or so, the teams with money to **** away, and who did by overpaying talent out of desperation, ($5 mil per year for Archuleta? - $6 mil per year for Bentley? - $7 mil per year for Hutchinson?) will have nothing left. And yet, there will be some serious talent available and little ol' Green Bay, flush with cash, able to pick and choose, and not overpay.

Look at the teams that have been successful in recent years...Patriots, Steelers, etc. They are BUILT on the type of players (2nd tier FAs) that so many fans are pissing on because they are not the biggest names out there.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
And how did the media get wind of his feelings? While the media may have run amok with this story, as they do with just about everything, he is not innocent of pouring a little gas on that fire.

Yes, I want the team to "get busy", but I am not willing to overpay, or judge until the task is complete.

Look, in a week or so, the teams with money to **** away, and who did by overpaying talent out of desperation, ($5 mil per year for Archuleta? - $6 mil per year for Bentley? - $7 mil per year for Hutchinson?) will have nothing left. And yet, there will be some serious talent available and little ol' Green Bay, flush with cash, able to pick and choose, and not overpay.

Look at the teams that have been successful in recent years...Patriots, Steelers, etc. They are BUILT on the type of players (2nd tier FAs) that so many fans are pissing on because they are not the biggest names out there.

I do agree that it will be nice to have some money left...especially when teams let go of guys in June. But there is a ton of money out there....especially with the new CBA. I'm not so sure there will be a ton of talent left after everyone spends theirs. That is what is driving up the cost of free agency. Hell even we did it. I read an article (I forget where) that shows how much everybody is making this year compared to last. I hate to bring this up but the article basically said that we paid more than twice as much this year to bring in a Mark Roman look-a-like (Manuel) than we did for Roman. And Roman was thought of more highly around the league (not my words).

I'm not throwing TT under the bus, but I think I've shown that getting Brett to play another year is my top priority. Alledgedly, disappearing for a few days to scout college players during the first week of free agency is ridiculous. That's a real bad sign, if indeed it happened. Notice, I said alledgedly!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot is being attributed to Brett that shouldn't be.

Brett give 3 press conferences a week during the season.

The press and fans never leave him alone. Now coach is calling him a lot.

There are a lot of people that get their ratings from Brett. They talk about him and for him during this period of vacation/relief/silence.

I don't think he is really saying anything.

After all did he not say last year "you honor your contract."

Reaction score
DePack, the thing about many saying that TT has locked the doors of Lambeau to go scout is not confirmed. While I have heard many people say this, even some articles, nothing can be known for sure. The thing that basically messes up the theory is that if no one was at Lambeau, then why did Pickett come here for a visit? Surly some must have been here the first few days, but decided to leave.

And leaving to scout could potentially be really beneficial. The thing is that we have only 5 picks, and perhaps TT is doing his homework to hit homeruns with each of the 5 picks. OR TT is doing his homework to see if he can get more picks in later rounds and who would be left to draft. OR once again TT is looking for rookies that have talent but may fall off the draft board. I still don't agree with having your key scouts leave during the first week of Free Agency (if that is true), but if TT has a killer draft, then he will all of a sudden look like a genius for this move. Sort of a 'while everyone was busy scouting FA's, we beat them to the punch on rookies' type of thinking.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not confirmed....hence the word alledgedly (which I think I may be spelling wrong). Pickett was in town awhile ago and nobody else til Friday leads a little credence to the rumor but who knows? If it is true there is no excuse for it. If you can't scout college players AND entertain free agency you don't belong in the business.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Not confirmed....hence the word alledgedly (which I think I may be spelling wrong). Pickett was in town awhile ago and nobody else til Friday leads a little credence to the rumor but who knows? If it is true there is no excuse for it. If you can't scout college players AND entertain free agency you don't belong in the business.

When the top LB prospect Witherspoon's -- who is only 25 years old -- agent says he tried to initiate talks with the Packers and was told to wait I think that is pretty hard to deny.

How do the "Teddy-can-do no-wrong" crowd respond? "Well, Will Witherspoon just wanted to use the Packers as negotiating leverage." Do they need any evidence to support this claim? No, because it supports their story and they are sticking to it regardless of the facts. The fact is Witherspoon said he wanted to talk to several teams before making a decision and the Packers were on his list. I am sure showing a cold shoulder to him did wonders for the league's perception of what is going on in Green Bay. I guess it must all be part of that super-dooper top secret plan of Teddy's that we are all supposed to patiently wait, because when the time is right it will be revealed.

Hell, Ben Taylor's agent says his boy was told the Packers were interested but they didn't have people available to meet with him -- and he is still a Packer target.

UFA Barry's agent says the Packers were disrespectful and insulting when he tried to initiate contract talks.

How many sources do we need before people ask what Lombardi so famously asked so many years ago, "What the Hell is going on out there."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Witherspoon really hurt in my opinion. I though he would of been that big impact defensive signing that we need.

Right now is slowly starting to get ridiculous. I thought by now TT would of gotten some players in. Looks like he has other plans. I don't think TT and the Packer fans are on the same page. I thought when you had the 2nd most amount of money in cap your suppossed to spend some of it.

If there is no key signing by Satuarday then I think it's clear what Thompson's plans are.

Reaction score
Bruce, according to what I have heard recently, Witherspoon turned down the Packers. One article I read, can't remember which one, said that TT had tried to initiate talks with Witherspoon, but his agent said they wanted to try some other teams first. In my opinion, this is basically saying "Thanks, but no thanks". I don't know if he wants to come to GB.

But that goes against what you have said Bruce. That is the thing, there are so many versions of what happens out there, that it becomes hard to seperate fact from fiction. But if indeed your post is true, then there is no excuse for TT, and he obviously dropped the ball big time. But then again if what I have heard is true, you can't really blame TT. Now the hard part, which one do we know is right? :-?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether Teddy turns down overtures from free agents or they turn down Teddy's overtures it shows the Green Bay Packers have a major problem.

What is it? And don't blame it on Brett's indecision.

Something ain't right with this picture.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just like when black players didn't want to come to GB, how are we going to solve this problem?

Yooper: It might be Brett's indecision, it makes the whole organisation look bad.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Whether Teddy turns down overtures from free agents or they turn down Teddy's overtures it shows the Green Bay Packers have a major problem.

What is it? And don't blame it on Brett's indecision.

Something ain't right with this picture.

Well.......players have a choice of 32 teams to sign with, and if they think the "night life" will be more exciting elsewhere then Green Bay, they will go elsewhere. Depends where there priorities are IMHO.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McMVP said:
If you were Brett Favre, wouldn't you want them to "get busy"?

I'm sure McNabb feels the same way about the Eagle's cap room....and he's not even on the verge of retirement yet....

The only difference is the media got wind of Brett's feelings....

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why all these fans of other teams are on a PACKERS fan forum. I wouldn't even for a second consider going to another team's fan forums. I know they have the "right" to be here and voice their opinions...I just don't understand why they would want to.

And secondly...please spare me the McFlabb drivel. The man repeatedly turned down the numerous opportunities to defend himself against TO's constant bashing of him, but Boy Howdy, ask him one single question about Brett calling out Javon last season, and he's all sorts of ready to let people know how he feels.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
just like when black players didn't want to come to GB, how are we going to solve this problem?

Yooper: It might be Brett's indecision, it makes the whole organisation look bad.

Hey gang - just got off a ROTTEN day at work... I see you're all busy!

For one - I'm on Indiana time - and I'm usually up pretty early - it comes with the age bracket I'm in - you seem to need less & less sleep each year.

No. 2 - GakkofNorway strikes a cord, here --- and... is he closer to the mark than a lot of us cheeseheads would like to think? Seriously!

"Is it Brett Favre and his constant in-decision that's causing these negative ripples in Lambeau's direction?"

This makes (what) three years now that he's had to tackle retirement rumors and hesitations on coming back to the Office (as it were).... right?

Oh, I understand he's now grey around the temples and has desires to truly sit down and be a family man - but his celebrity will always get in the way... no matter what he does. He's on par with a Michael Jordan or a Reggie Miller - there's no way out of that... none.

Seriously - aren't other top-drawer players gonna want to play with a 3xMVP QB moreso than not? Why is it (all of a sudden?) that we're having such a hard time with Offensive Players wanting to investigate Green Bay? Maybe we've all been focusing on the wrong things. Write it off, if ya like - but don't be too damn quick about it - you may miss something about all of this.

No.3 -- Favre is under contract - he has to report or start giving some money back.. a LOT OF IT! Somehow, I don't think he'd really like to do that - he's most likely thinking I'll need something in the background pending Deanna might come down sick again... at least I lean that way.

Since he's "got to" report in, somewhere along the line - then TT (I would think) has already started prepping for him to be there, as well as having a Plan B. Just like they all do when their Leading Star Player would get injured.

Let him stew and move on - he'll be out of the loop and have some catching up to. TT should just worry about those things he has real control over. That line that someone posted about TT not having the personnel to sit down with a few Green-Bay-interested players... Makes me wonder if TT is out there so thin, that "that" may be part of the issue - he's stretched and that's causing a different adverse affect..... (I know, I'm rambling) - Let's think about this - the Off season is probably THEE busiest time of any GM's tenure, year in & year out. Yes?

Yea - I get up every morning thinking "this is the day" when we'll all find out...
Yet, it isn't - I'm moving over to look at what other issues there are - it's just that this morning, I wasn't quite awake, and got caught in the four-letter-network's little trick of Hollywood on Sports.... as I drove to work, I remember thinking I wasn't too happy with that nonsense - and Steve Czaban cheered me back up... Thank got for First team on Fox.

Also - I figured a rocky start for this year - last year, he still had Sherman around to queue him on where things stood, pretty much - now he's got to figure out which part of his Staff is actually doing their jobs properly, or are they still working for the Old Boss, not the same as the New Boss.

The next six weeks will tell all of us, if he's got the moxey (which I think he does) or not. From what I've been reading, he's got quite a bit of respect out there, but it's on a level the public can't surmise (viola?).....

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
UFA Barry's agent says the Packers were disrespectful and insulting when he tried to initiate contract talks.

How many sources do we need before people ask what Lombardi so famously asked so many years ago, "What the Hell is going on out there."

So much for that argument after Barry re-signed with the Packers today.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Favre retires.

Then he can't be blamed for everything that goes wrong with the Packers.

Or, could he?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts