Nelson signs with Da Raiders

If Jordy signs with the Raiders, should GB go after Crabtree?

• Yes

• No

• Draft another WR

• Focus on defense

Results are only viewable after voting.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For one he’s a Packer in the truest sense..in the mold of Carol Dale. 2nd And He didn’t have a quarterback to throw to him, so what is FOOLISH speculating that he’s lost anything?? He’s been hurting last couple years on top of that. If you give him the next season healthy and with a healthy quarterback like Rogers and help me right back up at the top of the league. And your boobs will be silent about him losing anything…You’ll be back on the bandwagon.… Mark my words.

D

Deleted member 6794

For one he’s a Packer in the truest sense..in the mold of Carol Dale. 2nd And He didn’t have a quarterback to throw to him, so what is FOOLISH speculating that he’s lost anything?? He’s been hurting last couple years on top of that. If you give him the next season healthy and with a healthy quarterback like Rogers and help me right back up at the top of the league. And your boobs will be silent about him losing anything…You’ll be back on the bandwagon.… Mark my words.

I agree the Packers shouldn't release Nelson but it would definitely be reasonable to approach him about restructuring his contract.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This, IMO is why people should stop with the MM is predictable BS. MM can sketch up plenty of plays to free up Nelson, Cobb or Adams, but if his QB can't throw anything other than a soft screen it won't work.

I'd definitely be willing to bet the bank that Agholar, Ertz, Jeffery and Burton would either be getting no yards after catch or pressed at the line by defenders daring Hundley to throw in tight windows because they know he can't execute those. Hell even the Cowboys shutout Nick Foles by ploying that tactic.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jordy still has something left. that's for sure. he's lost a step and is getting old. no one had a good year last year as they didn't have anyone to throw them the ball. the only way i believe they release him is if he won't take a cut...which i believe he's already said he'd do. with that said, if they picked up a two-type wr in free agency, or by trade, jordy might become the odd man out ($)unless they've given up on allison. janis and davis are probably both out this year.

ESKYMOPACK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy injured his knee kind of fluky. Didn't even look like he would've injured it by the play. Can you imagine, after rehabbing your knee after really not doing anything out of the ordinary to injure it, that you would have reservations about quit cuts and stops. As a player you have to block that out of your mind, but I imagine it's very hard! Only time and rehabbing and strengthening gives you that confidence back especially as you get older. I would think Jordy could get 95% of that back, but your contracts don't work with "if's and but's". He will have to restructure his contract with an incentive laden 1 or 2 year contract if he wants to stay in Green Bay. I think both parties are thinking the same thing.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only conversation was on restructuring his contract....did anyone call for him to be sold/traded?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, IMO is why people should stop with the MM is predictable BS. MM can sketch up plenty of plays to free up Nelson, Cobb or Adams, but if his QB can't throw anything other than a soft screen it won't work.

I'd definitely be willing to bet the bank that Agholar, Ertz, Jeffery and Burton would either be getting no yards after catch or pressed at the line by defenders daring Hundley to throw in tight windows because they know he can't execute those. Hell even the Cowboys shutout Nick Foles by ploying that tactic.

This has been true with Rodgers at qb though too. The Packers offense doesn't do a good job at creating open wrs. Watch philly, new england, and others and you will see wrs who are open a lot more than you do for the Packers. The Packers seem to say we can beat you even if you know what is coming and either Rodgers that can work but it seems like he is throwing guys open a lot as opposed to having guys who are open. I don't think the wrs on other teams are that vastly superior to ours but the schemes are definitely different

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And your boobs will be silent about him losing anything…You’ll be back on the bandwagon.… Mark my words.

When boobs start making noise, I might sign up for another set to play with. :coffee:

I'm in the "keep Jordy" bandwagon. Most everyone has covered why it makes sense, especially under a restructured deal, so I won't rehash.

The common misconception in Football is "we can sign "Joe Blow" for this amount and he had these stats last year for that team, so he will be equally as good for the Packers." Well, Joe Blow is another year older and may not have those same stats for a new team. We aren't looking to replace Davis or Janis, we are talking about someone who statistically has been pretty damn awesome with #12 behind center. Maybe one of the top free agents could have the same chemistry with Aaron, but that is going to cost the same if not more.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too am in the camp of approaching Jordy for an extension/restructuring of his current contract. Jordy Nelson is not going anywhere. To much left in the tank and Aaron Rodgers top security blanket. Give him an extension of 2 years 10 million added onto her s current deal. I believe you can get 3 more years of solid production from Jordy Nelson.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut Cobb, restructure Nelson
Same here. Of the three big money vets who are "under performing". Jordy would be the last to go. But in order to sign Rodgers to an extension. I'd rather make the hard cuts early, and have options later.
Even if he were cut, I'd like to see him resigned in a high quality back up role. Middle of the pack salary wise, rather than top 3

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When boobs start making noise, I might sign up for another set to play with. :coffee:

I'm in the "keep Jordy" bandwagon. Most everyone has covered why it makes sense, especially under a restructured deal, so I won't rehash.

The common misconception in Football is "we can sign "Joe Blow" for this amount and he had these stats last year for that team, so he will be equally as good for the Packers." Well, Joe Blow is another year older and may not have those same stats for a new team. We aren't looking to replace Davis or Janis, we are talking about someone who statistically has been pretty damn awesome with #12 behind center. Maybe one of the top free agents could have the same chemistry with Aaron, but that is going to cost the same if not more.

The funny is for the boobs talking part not the rest of your post. I agree with everything else though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been true with Rodgers at qb though too. The Packers offense doesn't do a good job at creating open wrs. Watch philly, new england, and others and you will see wrs who are open a lot more than you do for the Packers. The Packers seem to say we can beat you even if you know what is coming and either Rodgers that can work but it seems like he is throwing guys open a lot as opposed to having guys who are open. I don't think the wrs on other teams are that vastly superior to ours but the schemes are definitely different

Well, MM has cycled at times through running the old iso routes that we've criticized him for and then mixing it up with more man-beaters or other underneath separation schemes. I'm thinking perhaps bringing Philbin back might get some of our more Packer-esque schemes that we've seen before. I still say our schemes are superior to most.

D

Deleted member 6794

jordy still has something left. that's for sure. he's lost a step and is getting old. no one had a good year last year as they didn't have anyone to throw them the ball. the only way i believe they release him is if he won't take a cut...which i believe he's already said he'd do.

I haven't seen any reports about Nelson agrreing to restructure his contract. Got a link???

Cut Cobb, restructure Nelson

I would prefer the Packers to keep Cobb on a cheaper deal as well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen any reports about Nelson agrreing to restructure his contract. Got a link???

I would prefer the Packers to keep Cobb on a cheaper deal as well.

I was going to post the same thing on the first part. As to the second, so would I but I don't think Cobb has nearly as much incentive to restructure. Even if they threaten restructure or get cut I'm sure some team will offer him whatever the Packers would have. If he has a good year he is still young enough to cash in again. It depends on so many things as we all know but it may just come down to how loyal does he feel towards the Packers. I think Jordy would take almost anything that is fair to play another 2 years in Green Bay but I'm not so sure about Cobb. That's not saying anything bad about RC, just that he is young enough and he is not the icon that Jordy is. Jordy is in that small group of Green Bay Packers who have reached Wisconsin legend status. Two additional years of decent production and he could probably run for Governor and win. He also seems to be the type of player that something like that matters to him. Hard to explain without making him sound vain or conceited but what I mean is he cares what the fans think about him. He has also made a boatload of money and no matter where he might go after Green Bay he probably won't make a whole lot more than if he stayed here for an additional 2 years.

All that is dependent of course on whether or not the Packers want him around for another two years. If they say play out 2018 and we will go from there then I could see him moving on if he has the desire to play and the Packers seem indifferent. Offer him a fair 2 year extension now and my guess he would take it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody else is going to pay Jordy what the Packers are set to pay him. Overpaying for a “fan favorite” is not the way to win championships. What’s the downside of cutting him loose... letting him find out what his market really is... then sign him based on that? Or maybe they can reach a restructure without going through that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The downside of cutting him loose, who do you currently have on the roster to replace him with?

No, Jordy probably wouldn't be offered a contract equal to what he is scheduled to make.

However, if he isn't willing to restructure his contract, outright releasing him at this point would be foolish IMO. If the Packers mindset is then to find his replacement, make sure you find that replacement before you release Jordy, otherwise, who takes his spot in the lineup and more importantly, who plays at his level or higher? This is the same with Matthews and Cobb IMO.

Reaction score
Not sure, but I didn't see this already said. Nelson and Rodgers are just one of those QB/WR duos that have a certain mojo. When Jordy went down Aaron was lost, when Aaron went down Jordy was lost and even lately, when the 2 were together for the first 5 games of 2017 they were as formidable as any QB/WR duo in the league and that's not said lightly.
This isn't Dez Bryant we're talking about here, Jordy's been great for this team and he deserves that respect

D

Deleted member 6794

As to the second, so would I but I don't think Cobb has nearly as much incentive to restructure. Even if they threaten restructure or get cut I'm sure some team will offer him whatever the Packers would have. If he has a good year he is still young enough to cash in again. It depends on so many things as we all know but it may just come down to how loyal does he feel towards the Packers. I think Jordy would take almost anything that is fair to play another 2 years in Green Bay but I'm not so sure about Cobb. That's not saying anything bad about RC, just that he is young enough and he is not the icon that Jordy is.

The Packers could use Cobb still being young to their advantage when approaching him about restructuring his contract by offering him a multi-year extension which would significantly reduce his average salary and cap hit though.

Nobody else is going to pay Jordy what the Packers are set to pay him. Overpaying for a “fan favorite” is not the way to win championships. What’s the downside of cutting him loose... letting him find out what his market really is... then sign him based on that? Or maybe they can reach a restructure without going through that.

I expect the Packers could reach an agreement with Nelson on a restructured deal without having to release him first.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could use Cobb still being young to their advantage when approaching him about restructuring his contract by offering him a multi-year extension which would significantly reduce his average salary and cap hit though.

That's true but they would have to be committed to the long term deal in the first place which they may not be and be committed to offering him a fair deal. They can't expect to lowball him and have him jump at it out of loyalty. If RC thinks he can make more as a FA I think he would take his chances whereas I think Nelson would take a fair and reasonable offer even if he thinks he might make a bit more in FA.

OP
OP
D

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s all hope that now we have — Cheapskate Dead Head Ted out of the way we can get back to a winning commitment. I am getting excited again and I am hoping for much better times ahead..

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true but they would have to be committed to the long term deal in the first place which they may not be and be committed to offering him a fair deal. They can't expect to lowball him and have him jump at it out of loyalty. If RC thinks he can make more as a FA I think he would take his chances whereas I think Nelson would take a fair and reasonable offer even if he thinks he might make a bit more in FA.

I guess the Packers would be interested in signing Cobb to a reasonable multi-year extension but you're probably right that he might want to test the market to see if another team offers more money.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the Packers would be interested in signing Cobb to a reasonable multi-year extension but you're probably right that he might want to test the market to see if another team offers more money.

Is it me or does it seem that the Packers usually make up their mind if they want a guy or not and make their offer accordingly. I mean they pay, or overpay according to some, for certain guys but others they don't even make offers to. Take Cobb for example. Will they pay him like a top WR? Not this time so will they even make him an offer or will they let him see what his worth is and then maybe go after him when its established. You don't seem to hear that the Packers offered so much and the player decided to try else where. Usually it seems the Packers let them test the market unless they are dead serious about signing the guy then they open up the wallet. Not sure if I made myself clear or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is it me or does it seem that the Packers usually make up their mind if they want a guy or not and make their offer accordingly. I mean they pay, or overpay according to some, for certain guys but others they don't even make offers to. Take Cobb for example. Will they pay him like a top WR? Not this time so will they even make him an offer or will they let him see what his worth is and then maybe go after him when its established. You don't seem to hear that the Packers offered so much and the player decided to try else where. Usually it seems the Packers let them test the market unless they are dead serious about signing the guy then they open up the wallet. Not sure if I made myself clear or not.

Cobb has another year on his contract, so a resign at this point would probably be in the form of a restructured deal at a lower per year salary. If they don't do that and eventually release him, I honestly don't see him back in Green Bay. But yes, you are right about new contracts, sometimes it appears the Packers have guys they will not let go off and are willing to overpay. Other players that aren't as valued, it looks to be a game of who will flinch first. If the 2 sides are too far apart, the only 2 choices the Packers have is to overpay or let walk. Would be fun to know how many guys who walk really wanted to stay, but were convinced they would make more elsewhere and how many guys TT thought would be back begging for the offered deal, but signed elsewhere for more or maybe even less.

Members online

Latest posts