It seems that some of the fans forget...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a LOT about how weak our defense was, and is presumed to be.

Yes, our defense was VERY porous last year. I agree we haven't done much to upgrade our player personnel but let's not forget that we have upgraded with a different leader, a different approach and a different mindset at the helm of the defense, in Bates.

USUALLY, having that kind of difference in the head position makes a huge difference in the mindset of the player.
The one who might have missed important tackles, played out of position, missed assignements, was slow getting to the ball...etc.,, Seem to reduce and limit their mistakes.

Ask this question... Was the DEFENSE THAT lacking in talent last year? Or were they just a bit complacent in going about their jobs and tasks?

Was the problem REALLY in the lack of good players or in the lack of motivation, focus, and accountability?

I think that it was more the latter and that the players were BETTER than what they've shown. I COULD be wrong but, I think this year, a STRONGER DC will bring the players' level of play up to where the Coaches, the fans, AND theplayers themselves expect to play.

That may result in the Packers having the BEST year of this MILLENIUM. Who knows?

At least I'd like to believe.....

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we only have a couple truly good D players that did not completely play up to their abilities last year for what ever reason (Barnett, KGB, Grady, Harris). The rest are average or below average as of now. Hopefully time will change that.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Was the problem REALLY in the lack of good players or in the lack of motivation, focus, and accountability?

I think that it was more the latter and that the players were BETTER than what they've shown. I COULD be wrong but, I think this year, a STRONGER DC will bring the players' level of play up to where the Coaches, the fans, AND theplayers themselves expect to play.

You're definately wrong...

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why Chase?

Are YOU saying that Bates WON'T make a difference?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely. I'm no Grammar Jim, but if you're going to preach to the other posters as if they are idiots and you're all knowing, at least spell the contents of your Gospel right.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Why Chase?

Are YOU saying that Bates WON'T make a difference?

Bates may make a difference with basics, motivation, focus, and accountability but the Packers lack the proper player personnel for him to make enough difference to get the Pack into the playoffs.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between Slowik and Bates WILL be the one that puts the Packers over the top.

Bates scheme fits the Existing Packer players BETTER than Slowiks.

His hiring was the BEST upgrade that the Packers could have made. It will come to fruition... Packers, by the hiring of Bates WILL have started on their way BACK to respectability on the defense.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
although I do agree that the hiring of Bates was a large step in the right direction, steelwheels is right...

Few on here deny that KGB is a situational player at best, yet is the considered to be the best player on the line, w/ the exception of the oft-injured Grady. You could go on through the defense, but basically the Packer's starters as a whole are suspect at best coupled w/ some back-up projects.

Yes, I think Bates can help a lot, and I have a lot of faith in what guys like Jenkins and Joey T. can accomplish this year, but lets be honest, this team sure appears to be lacking the true, PROVEN horses to get the job done, and Bates can only do so much.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musccy,

How far did the Packers get w/o the horses last 3 years? With much less proven DC?

Didn't the Pack reach playoffs?

With a rejuvenated Defense and a more accountable, focused set of players, how far can we get?

Personally, I am excited about the upcoming year...

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Musccy,

How far did the Packers get w/o the horses last 3 years? With much less proven DC?

Didn't the Pack reach playoffs?

With a rejuvenated Defense and a more accountable, focused set of players, how far can we get?

Personally, I am excited about the upcoming year...

Yes we did make the playoffs, but not too far. Lets go further this year. We must go further. Bates must make a difference.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
I read a LOT about how weak our defense was, and is presumed to be.

Yes, our defense was VERY porous last year. I agree we haven't done much to upgrade our player personnel but let's not forget that we have upgraded with a different leader, a different approach and a different mindset at the helm of the defense, in Bates.

USUALLY, having that kind of difference in the head position makes a huge difference in the mindset of the player.
The one who might have missed important tackles, played out of position, missed assignements, was slow getting to the ball...etc.,, Seem to reduce and limit their mistakes.

Ask this question... Was the DEFENSE THAT lacking in talent last year? Or were they just a bit complacent in going about their jobs and tasks?

That may result in the Packers having the BEST year of this MILLENIUM. Who knows?

I agree 110%:) I think you are completely right. I had never thought of it like that before you make a really good point. Yes there were some who underachieved last year like KGB and Barnett and harris, and that could very very very possibily come from TERRIBILE COACHING!!!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing 11 defenders improve with better coaching.

How much they improve is up for debate as is the talent level, but I can't see how they could get any worse than last year. I think it's a given that Bates will improve the defense. The question is how much? I don't know what the answer is, but I'm looking forward to finding out when the season begins. In Bates I trust! :D

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
You're definately wrong...

I would just like to address Steel Wheels, Musccy and the other nay-sayers that say the Pack do not have a chance this season.

In 1958, the Pack suffered the worst losing streak in their entire history (1-10-1). Head Coach Ray "Scooter" McLean retired amid screams that the Pack were "a bunch of bums" among other insults. In 1959, Vince Lombardi was named Head Coach and General Manager. His first year he elevated the Pack to a 7-5 record and was named "Coach of the Year". The Pack finished no less than second from 1960 until 1967, and won World Championship titles in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966 and 1967.

The moral of this story? Guess who's names were among that "bunch of bums" on the 1958 roster during the worst season of Green Bay's history.

Here's a hint: Starr, Hornung, Nitschke, Taylor and Ringo.

Now what were you saying about a coach only being to do so much?

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

Gravedigger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
The difference between Slowik and Bates WILL be the one that puts the Packers over the top.

Bates scheme fits the Existing Packer players BETTER than Slowiks.

His hiring was the BEST upgrade that the Packers could have made. It will come to fruition... Packers, by the hiring of Bates WILL have started on their way BACK to respectability on the defense.

Absolutely Ob1!

Bates will have this defense in the top 15, enough of an improvement for us to capture No. 13.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Bates track record is what you need to look at. He made Jason Taylor a household name and a few others on the Dolphins defense. They had limited talent. He made them into names.

While Minnesota hired a whole bunch of expensive parts and expects them to run as a finely-tuned engine(not likely given the egos), Bates will work to make the players HE HAS into a unit that plays together. Give me 11 no names busting butt and NOT MAKING MISTAKES over 11 guys who can't wait to talk to the media after the game, like the "Minnesota 11" will be.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that our defense is made up of a bunch of no names or unproven guys. Considering the salary cap, that's almost a given on most rosters. We've got a number of good, young, fast talented players on defense who are ready to show their skills.

Last year in Slowik's defense, the schemes were continually changing. We also had to rely on young, unproven players. This led to hesitation and playes being out of position.

By all accounts thusfar, Bates is sticking to his simple scheme. It will take some time for the players to excell in the new scheme, but just keeping it consistent will make a huge difference. It leads to players understanding where their teammates will be and therefore sticking to your own responsibilities. You don't have to be the fastest guy on the field as long as you're in the right position to make a play.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
In 1959, Vince Lombardi was named Head Coach and General Manager. His first year he elevated the Pack to a 7-5 record and was named "Coach of the Year".

So in other words you are saying that Jim Bates will skip the evaluating year and go right to the top. Good Luck...you're going to need it.

If you go back and compare the Packers 1959 and 1960 rosters you will find some changes in player personnel and some players who remained on the roster.

After Bates evaluating season in 2005, he will make some changes in player personnel for 2006 but some players from 2005 will also remain on the roster.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
So in other words you are saying that Jim Bates will skip the evaluating year and go right to the top.

Hey Steel,

Please post whatever reference you have to 2005 being an "evaluation year" for Green Bay. The way you waffle between claims of 2005 being an "evaluation year" and a "rebuilding year" is amusing at best. A team does not go from a 10-6 record and an NFC Division title and start "rebuilding" or "evaluating". They make a serious attempt at beating that record and making the Super Bowl.

BTW: After the 1958 1-10-1 season, which one was Lombardi's "evaluation" or "rebuilding year"? 1959? 1960? 1961?

History speaks for itself. Lombardi made all the difference in turning what was called "a bunch of bums" in 1958 into the the beginnings of the greatest dynasty in professional football by the end of 1959. This is why he was named Coach of the Year after his first season with the Pack. You can't dispute history, my friend.

In other words: Good coaching makes all the difference in the world. The differences between the accomplishments of the 1958 and 1959 Packers proves that point. This does not mean Bates will take the Green Bay defence "right to the top" in 2005, it means they will be greatly improved over last season. Combined with our top-rung offence, we will have a serious chance of going all the way. Not that I really expect you to understand that concept.

Steel Wheels said:
Good Luck...you're going to need it.

Hey Steel... With an attitude like that, why don't you just start cheering for the Queens? You certainly sound like one of their fans already.

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
If you go back and compare the Packers 1959 and 1960 rosters you will find some changes in player personnel and some players who remained on the roster.

After Bates evaluating season in 2005, he will make some changes in player personnel for 2006 but some players from 2005 will also remain on the roster.

What happen to 2004-2005? Aren't some players from 2004 remaining on the team and some leaving? Tell me why this year so different than your argument?

Or are stats only important when it supports YOUR argument?

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
The defense will definitely be better than last year.

I agree with that but I also see alot of people with the Green and Gold glasses on. I want nothing more than for the Packers to win. However, we have holes that can't be ignored. We have quite a few mysteries that need to be solved on this roster and we won't know anything about this team until the first couple of games are done. I for one am glad to see a different attitude take over. I hated Darren Sharper, he was a locker room killer. I think if anything, Bates is bringing a much better upbeat feeling and a desire to win. He's a proven motivator. We'll definitely improve on defense (how can we not?), but we have start winning the games we SHOULD win. No more playing to the level of the opponent and getting surprised.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates will have this defense in the top 15, enough of an improvement for us to capture No. 13.[/quote]

Lets hope for a big difference with Bates. then maybe we can make him head coach.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

How about the Packers defense is just not very good and they do not have enough talent on that side of the ball? On top of that the offense has gotten weaker. When I pointed out that the Bears changed offensive coordinators and up graded in several positions on offense you went into your little rant about overachievers and typing words in CAPITALS again. Do you know anything at all about pro football? I say the answer to that would be NO. You may LOVE the Packers but you don't seem to be following the same game as EVERYONE ELSE.

Members online

Latest posts