It’s Time!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You still have to balance roster building with your overall cap. If NFL teams didn’t have a cap ceiling I might agree with you. We could take up a donation to keep

Now that you’ve clearly laid out the plans for a QB holdout :whistling: Show us which other aging QB’s signed long term, starting deals (37+ year olds) with 3+ year guarantees AND annual record setters.

I just went through the top 20 oldest QB list. Blanda was not only the oldest QB ever (26 seasons) but an absolute inspiration and played multiple position and is a scoring leader. These Rodgers types (punks) today have a spoiled rotten, ungrateful attitude. The world doesn’t owe them anything! If anything, they owe the fans! (PS. I wrote this before reading Barbs Post above).

Being a great QB is far more than throwing TD’s:INT ratios. I’m a stat guy, but I’ll trade stats for team Championships. I’ll take my chances in hopes of finding the next George Blanda or Tom Brady or Mahomes

Only one team wins the Super Bowl each year and the QB is the most important player on the team. You obviously believe Love, Marlon Humphrey, and Von Miller would be better on this team than just Rodgers. I disagree.

Also, yeah, there's more than just throwing TDs and avoiding INTs but that's a REALLY important part.

I'll be excited to see what Love can do but the Packers are going to take a HUGE step back if he's the starter next year.

Reaction score
We've had it good in GB for many years. If we have to endure a down year in the interest of bettering the long term, I'm ok with that.
You’re quietly showing gratitude, which is a nice way to look at it. Unfortunately some people can’t get past the surface contamination to see there's fertile soil beyond Aaron Rodgers. That takes vision and a dash of intestinal fortitude. It’s not easy to look ahead when we’ve had such a great run at the QB position. But I can all but promise those others, that this is not the end of the Packers. Not by a long shot. I’m pretty sure Brian was expecting to have Rodgers 1-2 more years minimum, but he was also starting a contingency for life post-Rodgers. I wouldn’t expect any less from Gute.
I hope they can resign him. I'd hate to see Adams leave. If a deal doesn't get done at some point this season, they'd get pretty much nothing for him.
Re-sign is what I think you meant? I made that same mistake back yonder.
Funny how that word is so close to resign and yet completely the inverse.
Plus, what’s left over when he does resign? Just some QB resin!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re quietly showing gratitude, which is a nice way to look at it. Unfortunately some people can’t get past the surface contamination to see there's fertile soil beyond Aaron Rodgers. That takes vision and a dash of intestinal fortitude. It’s not easy to look ahead when we’ve had such a great run at the QB position. But I can all but promise those others, that this is not the end of the Packers. Not by a long shot. I’m pretty sure Brian was expecting to have Rodgers 1-2 more years minimum, but he was also starting a contingency for life post-Rodgers. I wouldn’t expect any less from Gute.

Re-sign is what I think you meant? I made that same mistake back yonder.
Funny how that word is so close to resign and yet completely the inverse.
Plus, what’s left over when he does resign? Just some QB resin!
Thanks for the catch. Yes I meant the reverse of what I wrote! Getting cold......

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one team wins the Super Bowl each year and the QB is the most important player on the team. You obviously believe Love, Marlon Humphrey, and Von Miller would be better on this team than just Rodgers. I disagree.

Also, yeah, there's more than just throwing TDs and avoiding INTs but that's a REALLY important part.

I'll be excited to see what Love can do but the Packers are going to take a HUGE step back if he's the starter next year.
No one believes Rodgers would be/could be replaced immediately and likely not for a handful of years unless Love or someone not yet on this team is the QB. If the Packers take a step back, so be it, if they can improve certain areas of the team by trading Rodgers do it before his attitude harms the team. If Adams does not want to play, trade him... why keep guys who don't want to be in GB? Both of them have high trade value today, about as high as you can or will get, so do it, get players who can play now along with draft collateral.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one believes Rodgers would be/could be replaced immediately and likely not for a handful of years unless Love or someone not yet on this team is the QB. If the Packers take a step back, so be it, if they can improve certain areas of the team by trading Rodgers do it before his attitude harms the team. If Adams does not want to play, trade him... why keep guys who don't want to be in GB? Both of them have high trade value today, about as high as you can or will get, so do it, get players who can play now along with draft collateral.

I was responding to someone who was stating that really expensive QBs aren't worth it. Had nothing to do with Rodgers not wanting to be here.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take it from an old timer. Go through over 2 decades of really bad Packer teams and you might realize how good it feels to know that your team will be for what's going on almost 30 years now. Ups and downs. It's been a damn good run. Odds say that this could be the start of a down period. Time will tell.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take it from an old timer. Go through over 2 decades of really bad Packer teams and you might realize how good it feels to know that your team will be for what's going on almost 30 years now. Ups and downs. It's been a damn good run. Odds say that this could be the start of a down period. Time will tell.
I've read this a couple of times and think there's something missing right after "your team will be". If it's "tantalizingly close" or some such, I agree. The period after SBII to Favre didn't bother me much, as the expectations were so low. Since then, there have been very few years in which the Pack wasn't a legitimate contender to start the year, and only two in which they came through.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read this a couple of times and think there's something missing right after "your team will be". If it's "tantalizingly close" or some such, I agree. The period after SBII to Favre didn't bother me much, as the expectations were so low. Since then, there have been very few years in which the Pack wasn't a legitimate contender to start the year, and only two in which they came through.
I read it again too. I always get ahead of myself. The word is competitive.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read it again too. I always get ahead of myself. The word is competitive.
That's what I was afraid of. :) As I think my reply indicated, I don't consider being competitive as a positive in and of itself if it doesn't result in the objective. I fully understand the other view, I just don't subscribe to it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I've been watching the Packers since I was a young kid in the 60s. I remember all the different periods - Lombardi, post Lombardi, the horrible 70s and 80s, the resurgence under first Wolf/HolmgrenFavre and then a continuation with Rodgers. The team will obviously be worse without Rodgers and we may be in for a few rough years. QB is simply the most important position. But the team right now is relatively solid, outside DL and ILB, and even a "game manager" QB like maybe Bortles could win enough games to get into the playoffs.

Or not. The group that will really be put to the test is the FO. They are responsible for building a post-Rodgers winner.

GBP1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is time for ARod to stop being a jerk and quit acting like he is the authority on all things Green & Gold. He needs to understand the meaning of TEAM and understand that the Packers will far outlive him and most likely his legacy as well......

GO PACK GO is cheered, not GO AARON GO!!!!!!!
Just let him go and get the most we can for the California Prima Dona. We should have known his true character based on how he treats blood family.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team will obviously be worse without Rodgers and we may be in for a few rough years.
I'm okay with a few rough years. But I hope they don't go into a decades long dive like they did in the 70s and 80s. Maybe I'm blind, but I don't think they will.

Reaction score
Both of them have high trade value today, about as high as you can or will get, so do it, get players who can play now along with draft collateral.
There’s no guarantees, but if GB trades Rodgers it’s likely there will be at least 2 day 1 selections involved, plus likely some trading day their day 2 draft picks for our Day 3 selections.
I can see GB getting enough firepower to both get a good look at Love, plus have 2 day 1 selections to double down on his replacement if needed.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see GB getting enough firepower to both get a good look at Love, plus have 2 day 1 selections to double down on his replacement if needed.
I'm not sure I like the idea of using the draft capitol we get from Rodgers to pick a quarterback, unless they really don't think much of Love or see somebody they can't live without. Not saying it's a bad idea, just not sure I like it. Maybe that's why I'm not the GM though. I'd rather see them stock the team to help Love.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Specious arguement, TEAM is individuals working together for the same goal or objective(s). In any situation where management is involved you can always argue that "they did not do the right thing or that they acted wrongly" but in those cases it is a person's opinion. Interesting that you did not hear from other players regarding their "beefs" with Packer management. Interesting that you only heard from team members supporting Rodgers AFTER this situation "blew up".Frankly, without knowing details (just like the everyone else) this situation has been kept in the news by Rodgers, not by the Packers management. He is the one who continues to "suggest and insinuate" that the Packers "done him wrong and he wants his pound of flesh". That is my phrase for his statements and actions. Is this really what this or any team needs? A disgruntled employee (yes he is an employee that is very, very handsomely paid)? This situation is going to create more disruption in the entire organization and if anyone thinks that will help get the Packers to the playoffs or to another SB, think again. Packers offered this guy a bundle of cash PLUS another 3 years (to age 40), that apparently is not enough, so let him retire or trade him for 3-4 first rounders but let the team move forward. If you need to package Adams and Rodgers,do so, wonder who has the picks and players that could turn this franchise into a contender again quicklywith players who WANT TO BE IN GREEN BAY.

Packers offered him a 2 year extension, on top of the 3 years he has remaining. Because 5 years is the farthest out you can prorate a signing bonus according to NFL salary cap rules.

Now you say Rodgers is keeping this in the news...you think Rodgers leaked that he declined the Packers contract offer or do you think the Packers FO leaked that? Hint it was the Packers who leaked that the other day keeping it in the news

You glossed over the fact that the Packers FO first attempted to do a simple restructure of their MVP qbs roster bonus and base not offering him any additional years or money, that has been widely reported. Only after Rodgers took offense to that restructure plan did the Packers offer him the 2 year extension as an attempt to back pedal.

Another thing you glossed over is we don't know how that contract offer was structured did it give Rodgers the boatload of guaranteed money he wants or did was it kind of just a lot of hot air...and by that I mean big numbers but not much in the way of guarantees and thus job security

I don't think you're understanding the situation if you think this is all on Rodgers and has nothing to do with the poor management decisions made by the Packers front office and the cold corporate culture installed by Murphy upon is arrival in 2007...at which point he ousted Favre, hiring ari fliescher, former Whitehouse press secretary to run the public relations campaign against Favre

Rodgers is a diva baby but who cares its about his play on the field not all the other bs...I just want the Packers to win football games I don't need to like Aaron Rodgers as a person to know he's the best chance for the 2021 Packers to win the SB and that's the bottom line

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm okay with a few rough years. But I hope they don't go into a decades long dive like they did in the 70s and 80s. Maybe I'm blind, but I don't think they will.
I don't think it will happen either. For a while, GB may not make the playoffs every year, and that would be the worst thing to happen. I still think that with the talent they have today, they'll find a way to stay competitive. And really, after all this Rodgers BS, I'm looking forward to see what football life looks like post-Rodgers. He's poisoned himself with his teammates and fans. We all have to move on. Hopefully we won't run into this kind of selfishness again for a long time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers offered him a 2 year extension, on top of the 3 years he has remaining. Because 5 years is the farthest out you can prorate a signing bonus according to NFL salary cap rules.

Now you say Rodgers is keeping this in the news...you think Rodgers leaked that he declined the Packers contract offer or do you think the Packers FO leaked that? Hint it was the Packers who leaked that the other day keeping it in the news

You glossed over the fact that the Packers FO first attempted to do a simple restructure of their MVP qbs roster bonus and base not offering him any additional years or money, that has been widely reported. Only after Rodgers took offense to that restructure plan did the Packers offer him the 2 year extension as an attempt to back pedal.

Another thing you glossed over is we don't know how that contract offer was structured did it give Rodgers the boatload of guaranteed money he wants or did was it kind of just a lot of hot air...and by that I mean big numbers but not much in the way of guarantees and thus job security

I don't think you're understanding the situation if you think this is all on Rodgers and has nothing to do with the poor management decisions made by the Packers front office and the cold corporate culture installed by Murphy upon is arrival in 2007...at which point he ousted Favre, hiring ari fliescher, former Whitehouse press secretary to run the public relations campaign against Favre

Rodgers is a diva baby but who cares its about his play on the field not all the other bs...I just want the Packers to win football games I don't need to like Aaron Rodgers as a person to know he's the best chance for the 2021 Packers to win the SB and that's the bottom line
I agree with you. But I think the damage done to locker-room cohesion and the fan base is beyond repair.

And thanks for pointing out that the corporate culture is set by the president, Murphy. I miss Bob Harlan.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the idea of using the draft capitol we get from Rodgers to pick a quarterback, unless they really don't think much of Love or see somebody they can't live without. Not saying it's a bad idea, just not sure I like it. Maybe that's why I'm not the GM though. I'd rather see them stock the team to help Love.
Oh don’t take me the wrong way, I’d obviously rather Love work out also.

The point I’m trying to install is that we’d have sufficient draft firepower to pretty much do what we want, when we want… and still draft at a better position than we are accustomed to. I’m saying that more in response to those who have written Love off before he’s ever played. We don’t even need Love to get much better, much faster.
TWO additional day 1 draft selections plus 1-2 more Day 2 selections + $35mil per season + drafting from better position several times can go a long ways in roster building. Some fans get in a box in order to defend their position, but I assure you we wouldn’t be in a box from a options or resources perspective. In fact, Quite the opposite.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh don’t take me the wrong way, I’d obviously rather Love work out also.

The point I’m trying to install is that we’d have sufficient draft firepower to pretty much do what we want, when we want… and still draft at a better position than we are accustomed to. I’m saying that more in response to those who have written Love off before he’s ever played. We don’t even need Love to get much better, much faster.
TWO additional day 1 draft selections plus 1-2 more Day 2 selections + $35mil per season + drafting from better position several times can go a long ways in roster building. Some fans get in a box in order to defend their position, but I assure you we wouldn’t be in a box from a options or resources perspective. In fact, Quite the opposite.
It would be a huge advantage to all involved if Love turns out to be a good QB. Trade Rodgers after the season for ideally a top 5 pick immediately and another round 1 pick in 2023. This would go a long way to filling holes at DL and ILB (depending on how draft talent falls). I wouldn't mind having a team that wins largely win the back of its defense. Worked pretty well for Tampa Bay.

Unfortunately, I don't think Rodgers is done messing with the Packers or us. I guess the worst he could do is show up for Game 1 and say he was ready. At that point, I'd sit him. Why? If he's playing he's a distraction - I mean more of a distraction than now.

But that's about all he could do. With three years left on his contract, he picked a bad time to be a jerk.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would go a long way to filling holes at DL and ILB
I have high hopes for Barnes. And if he turns out well; the linebacking corps is going to feel a whole lot different imho. But I don't have much faith in our new signee. I don't know much about him but they did not have to give him very much money. btw I still don't consider pass rushers from the outside that look very similar to DEs to be linebackers. and so when I say our linebacking corps; I am talking about the two insiders.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With three years left on his contract, he picked a bad time to be a jerk.
Not only with the three years, but the team would be contending for a Super Bowl again with him on board.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not he's going to play this year. The fact that he's been working out diligently seems to indicate he is. But then he texted McAfee about the deep cleaning his house not being true, and that the golf course renewal was automatic, and now I'm not so sure.

Considering how he apparently holds a grudge, I wonder if he's read any comments from fans who are annoyed with him, and is thinking well screw them then, I'm not coming back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only with the three years, but the team would be contending for a Super Bowl again with him on board.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not he's going to play this year. The fact that he's been working out diligently seems to indicate he is. But then he texted McAfee about the deep cleaning his house not being true, and that the golf course renewal was automatic, and now I'm not so sure.

Considering how he apparently holds a grudge, I wonder if he's read any comments from fans who are annoyed with him, and is thinking well screw them then, I'm not coming back.
I just think the damage has been done, to the locker room vibe and with the fans. We all remember how poorly he played when he was unhappy with MM and it affected the whole team. Even if he decides to play, is it too late? I think it is.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think the damage has been done, to the locker room vibe and with the fans. We all remember how poorly he played when he was unhappy with MM and it affected the whole team. Even if he decides to play, is it too late? I think it is.
I guess if that's what happens, it will make the parting all the easier.

Reaction score
I don't think you're understanding the situation if
I disagree with that. So you don’t care how he represents the Green Bay Community? I don’t believe that or possibly you said that claiming ignorance, but as with law.. ignoring the stop sign or not caring to obey it is no excuse, further the judge will still hand you a ticket regardless of your opinion.

I think a sports star can have a dynamic impact (good or bad) on community. I’m sorry if that sounds like Grandpa talking, but there’s more to life than just Winning. I’d like to Win also, but not by stepping on others or by condoning unrighteousness behavior. That’s ironically what Rodgers is trying to portray, he just has a childish way of going about it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts