It’s Time!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes up the team you're talking about? Individual players I believe... Apparently you don't like that some players/employees are more important to the team than others but that's the way it goes whether you play for the Packers or for McDonald's

Is it the individual employees fault when things don't go right with the overall operation? I don't think so...I think that's managements fault

Without Favre and Rodgers I believe it's a totally different story for the franchise but you are correct it's still Go Pack Go
This thing with Rodgers reminds me a little of Jordy Nelson. After years of production he's offered a veteran's minimum, which the FO had to know he wouldn't accept. Rather than just sitting down with him and being honest. Now maybe that happened. I just don't think so. Nelson is too much a stand up guy to play games like that. Not saying what Rodgers is doing is right, it isn't. But when he alludes to the fact that the culture isn't good to the people, he may not be far off.

Then again the NFL is a business wrapped around a game. Easy to forget that sometimes. It's always about the money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I just reviewed that game brought back memories. Just goes to show how the GBP are not the only ones to lose the close ones.
2007 Favre (GB)lost in OT vs the Giants in the NFC by a FG and the Giants won the SB
2009 Favre (Vikes) lost in OT vs Saints in the NFC by a FG and the Saints won the SB
And I think both possessions ended with a Favre INT. In the game against NO, all he had to do was run it back to the line of scrimmage for a makable FG. Like with Favre, die with Favre.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy born in 1983 does not make the image, legacy or greatness of a team that's been around since 1919. You're not gonna sell me on that.

Well no Favre no Rodgers for the last 30 years and I bet the Packers "image"would be a lot different than it is today...I'm including the Starrs, the Lombardis etc. But the current guys are every bit as important

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well no Favre no Rodgers for the last 30 years and I bet the Packers "image"would be a lot different than it is today...I'm including the Starrs, the Lombardis etc. But the current guys are every bit as important
No Reggie, no Butler, no Dotson, no Levens, no Simmons, no Desmond Howard, no Rison, no Clifton, no Driver, no Claymaker, no Woodson, no Raji, no Shields, no Nelson, no Grant and we would have no SBs in the last 30 years either. The trouble comes when you single out one player as being the reason and more important at the cost of all the other players and the organization itself. Afterall, it is the organization itself that acquired Brett and Aaron. The organization nurtured them. The organization that developed them and provided them the opportunity. Without the Packers, Favre didn't win any SBs.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We would have 11 NFL Championships tied with the Bears for most in league history...we'd still be a Tier 1 team in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

We would have 11 NFL Championships tied with the Bears for most in league history...we'd still be a Tier 1 team in the league.

The Packers wouldn't have won a title in 53 years though.

Just for the record, the Bears have only nine NFL championships.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most people aren't old enough to care about championships won 50 years ago...that's just how things go.

The Packers are most know for Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre at this present time in history...who knows maybe in 10 years they'll be most know for Jordan Love and Aaron Rodgers but that's just the cycle of things it's what have you done for me lately in the NFL...and the current Rodgers situation is a perfect illustration of that

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Reggie, no Butler, no Dotson, no Levens, no Simmons, no Desmond Howard, no Rison, no Clifton, no Driver, no Claymaker, no Woodson, no Raji, no Shields, no Nelson, no Grant and we would have no SBs in the last 30 years either. The trouble comes when you single out one player as being the reason and more important at the cost of all the other players and the organization itself. Afterall, it is the organization itself that acquired Brett and Aaron. The organization nurtured them. The organization that developed them and provided them the opportunity. Without the Packers, Favre didn't win any SBs.

I include those guys and more as well when I say the names on the back make the name on the front...the only jerseys I own are a Nick Collins and a Charles Woodson

But I'm not sure how you argue any player was more important than Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers respectively during the last 30 years. That's just a fact...I get you're saying they're all equally as important because it's a team and I'm saying that's a nice sediment but not true...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So you think the Packers were a tier 1 organization in the 70s and 80s? Lots of players wanting to come to Green Bay and playoff appearances all the time?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is time for ARod to stop being a jerk and quit acting like he is the authority on all things Green & Gold. He needs to understand the meaning of TEAM and understand that the Packers will far outlive him and most likely his legacy as well......

GO PACK GO is cheered, not GO AARON GO!!!!!!!
You're right Tex. Gluten is at fault for his lousy communication skills, but Rodgers has over-reacted. And don't expect much movement from a guy who doesn't even talk to his family. Never thought I'd see an ego bigger than Favre's, but here we are.....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think the Packers were a tier 1 organization in the 70s and 80s? Lots of players wanting to come to Green Bay and playoff appearances all the time?
I think it's tough enough getting players to GB when the team is winning. What changed under Wolf was the acquisition of Reggie White - all of a sudden, it's ok for superstars to play for GB, and that makes it attractive for everyone. As for the 70s and 80s....... I'd rather not think about it.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people aren't old enough to care about championships won 50 years ago...that's just how things go.

The Packers are most know for Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre at this present time in history...who knows maybe in 10 years they'll be most know for Jordan Love and Aaron Rodgers but that's just the cycle of things it's what have you done for me lately in the NFL...and the current Rodgers situation is a perfect illustration of that
Most bandwagoners don't give a damn about history, that's why sometime after I'm gone it's gonna repeat itself, not just in football but in everything and I'm gonna be down in hell laughing my *** off at those idiots.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree. Whenever one jumps in with "13 championships" (a fact), it helps to remember that the first three didn't even include a playoff game, and the second three were prior to my birth (and I just turned 76). The seven since then are certainly braggable (?), but context matters. I don't think too many Browns fans are OK with the last many decades because of the 50's and 60's.

Reaction score
Excellent point. No Ron Wolf, No Holmgren, No Amish, No TT, the list is endless on the high standard we aspire to :)

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a kid during the 70's and 80's....it was so bad that I never thought they would ever win another championship! When they did I was over the moon. Now we are all labeled spoiled fans. The NFL does a great job of nostalgia where the pack is concerned. These young whipper snappers only know the Favre/Rodgers era teams. More exposure is needed to remember things like Ezra Johnson eating hot dogs on the bench, and a first round draft pick demanding to be traded as he refused to play in Green Bay. If I was to guess where it turned I would say the combo of acquiring Favre and Reggie White. The defense instantly became a force with White, and Favre's cannon and gunslinger approach reversed the direction of the team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a kid during the 70's and 80's....it was so bad that I never thought they would ever win another championship! When they did I was over the moon. Now we are all labeled spoiled fans. The NFL does a great job of nostalgia where the pack is concerned. These young whipper snappers only know the Favre/Rodgers era teams. More exposure is needed to remember things like Ezra Johnson eating hot dogs on the bench, and a first round draft pick demanding to be traded as he refused to play in Green Bay. If I was to guess where it turned I would say the combo of acquiring Favre and Reggie White. The defense instantly became a force with White, and Favre's cannon and gunslinger approach reversed the direction of the team.
And I give Bob Harlan and Ron Wolf credit for finally stopping the ******** around (remember Bart Starr - RIP - as HC for nine years?) and bringing in Favre and White. I was a teen in the 60s and watched those great teams, and then suffered with everyone else in the 70s and 80s. Ezra Johnson eating a hot dog on the bench brings back memories... good ones.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. Whenever one jumps in with "13 championships" (a fact), it helps to remember that the first three didn't even include a playoff game, and the second three were prior to my birth (and I just turned 76). The seven since then are certainly braggable (?), but context matters. I don't think too many Browns fans are OK with the last many decades because of the 50's and 60's.
With all respect, a champion is a champion regardless of the era they played. That is, they all played by the same set of rules for that era. Now when there were fewer than 32 teams it might have been an easier road to a championship, but not by much.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a kid during the 70's and 80's....it was so bad that I never thought they would ever win another championship!
I felt exactly the same way, I thought the Packers as a force were done. Back then, there was a small group of teams that were always in the mix, like the Cowboys. Now we've been that team that's always in the mix.

As for the 13 championships, that's the big number. But kids and the media mainly just talk about Super Bowl wins, so we get short shrifted a lot. Oh well, we know the truth.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt exactly the same way, I thought the Packers as a force were done. Back then, there was a small group of teams that were always in the mix, like the Cowboys. Now we've been that team that's always in the mix.

As for the 13 championships, that's the big number. But kids and the media mainly just talk about Super Bowl wins, so we get short shrifted a lot. Oh well, we know the truth.
IMO, the biggest threat to the Packers not continuing their winning ways is the FO. I just haven't been happy with Murphy and Gluten, and don't have confidence that they'll know how to build a winning team without Rodgers. Rodgers has made them look good for awhile. And that is in no way an endorsement of what Rodgers is doing. That is best described as selfish and pathetic.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, the biggest threat to the Packers not continuing their winning ways is the FO. I just haven't been happy with Murphy and Gluten, and don't have confidence that they'll know how to build a winning team without Rodgers. Rodgers has made them look good for awhile.
Rodgers has definitely covered up for a lot of weaknesses over the years. The Packers get a lot of criticism from local fans to the national media for only winning two Super Bowls in nearly 30 years of HOF quarterbacks. Part of me thinks it's not easy to win even two Super Bowls. But I also think there have been times that the team should have pushed harder to go for championships, instead of just trying to stay in the playoff picture year after year. To be fair, I thought that more with Ted Thompson than with Gute. Gute doesn't have a big enough sample size to really say.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has definitely covered up for a lot of weaknesses over the years. The Packers get a lot of criticism from local fans to the national media for only winning two Super Bowls in nearly 30 years of HOF quarterbacks. Part of me thinks it's not easy to win even two Super Bowls. But I also think there have been times that the team should have pushed harder to go for championships, instead of just trying to stay in the playoff picture year after year. To be fair, I thought that more with Ted Thompson than with Gute. Gute doesn't have a big enough sample size to really say.
That's fair. And it's not easy to win a SB, especially with parity. Look at how many back-to-back SB winners there have been. Very few. And I suppose it's also fair to give Gluten more time before an assessment can be made. Certainly the big FA moves he made a few years ago with Z and Company is something TT would never have done.

Members online

Latest posts