1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

ISAF alright!

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by GakkofNorway, Jan 15, 2006.

1. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, it's been decided, some of you might know that I am captain in the Norwegian army, in the international combat unit also known as "Telemarksbataljonen", and I'm moving out to Afghanistan in july after returning from Iraq a year ago.

I've been in Afghanistan before, but then we were under american command, this time we will be a part of the ISAF force and under NATO command.

Still a couple of months left, but I'm already looking forward to it!

2. smlutz

smlutz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow good luck and stay safe Gakk!

3. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    God speed Gakk.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Stay safe Gak! Our prayers are with you!

5. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    wow - i was clueless, as usual, captain gakk!! :wink:
    will be praying for you during your time in afghanistan. and thank you for serving your country proudly. :D

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    but....you cant leave. who am i going to argue with? :(

7. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gakk. Have you also been one of the "Bad Boys" "way down in Koho-sovo"? :wink:

Video

8. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    actually one of those are my neighbour :p

9. bavpb

bavpb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Norske soldater i skandalevideo

What was the scandal, was it scandalous in Norway or in Serbia?
    I thought it was pretty funny.
    (I hope, I'm not too political with that! :oops: )

10. leopardmech

leopardmech Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gak, I am in the Canadian Army and was in Kabul with ISAF in 2003. I am sure it will be a little quieter than Iraq for you. Are you deploying to Kabul or elsewhere in Afghanistan because I know ISAF is expanding their role into other parts of the country. The Canadians are in Khandahar now.

I assisted some of the your mech's in 1999 in Kosovo with parts for their Leopards and diagnosed a couple of problems for them. They were a great bunch of guys

11. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, quiet for norwegians? Nah don't think so, at least not after the Muhammed comics. There is a 5kg gold reward for norwegian heads in afghanistan now, and 6 norwegians has been wounded by a mob protesting!

I'm deploying to Meynameh, it's a stretch outside Mazar-e Shariff. If they don't move the camp, because it's under constant attack from groups because of this Muhammed comic thing. It lies in a poor strategical position.

Muslims around the worlds suddenly hates Norwegians. They burnt down our embassy in Syria, and in many muslim countries norwegian interests are being attacked. So I don't expect it to be a walk in the park.

But I think it probably is going to be more quiet than Iraq, yes, because our troops in iraq was well liked by the population, we mostly did humanitarian work, and patroling functioning as a police force. But Iraq was an ongoing warzone though. I'm not sure about the situation in afghanistan right now, but it will probably be more calm in a couple of months.

Kosovo was boring, don't you think so? :p That's why they made that hilarious movie. The movie was a big story in both Serbia and Norway, because that statue they were riding on is supposed to be important or something.

But it wasn't the biggest scandal, the biggest scandal was a movie of norwegians walking around shooting stray dogs, well that isn't breaking news for anyone that has served, it happens all the time, I've shot a few dogs myself..!

The movie was hilarious though, nice version of Kokomo.

Are you headed out again sometime mecha?

12. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Keep your boys in a classic 3-5-2 formation if your defending and you will be fine. : )

Be safe, and thank you for your contribution the war on terror.