Is Woodson ever going to step up and deliver?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been waiting all through pre season and through the early part of the season and hoping that eventually we would get a glimpse of what made Woodson a pro bowl player. The darndest thing is that I haven't seen anything close to that type of player. The word out of Green Bay is that he just collects his paycheck. He's not going to work hard, he's not going to lead, he just comes to work, collects his money and goes home. I was hoping for a lot more than we're getting. Is it possible that this is all there is to the man?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I've been waiting all through pre season and through the early part of the season and hoping that eventually we would get a glimpse of what made Woodson a pro bowl player. The darndest thing is that I haven't seen anything close to that type of player. The word out of Green Bay is that he just collects his paycheck. He's not going to work hard, he's not going to lead, he just comes to work, collects his money and goes home. I was hoping for a lot more than we're getting. Is it possible that this is all there is to the man?

He had a forced fumble against the Eagles.

On the radio they described him as a football mercenary, which is a pretty good description I think.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although he said he wanted the money i mean come on players are going to try because you know they want to win, right?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't like the Woodson signing, because I didn't think he was that good anymore. He hasn't been great by any means, but I do think he's improved. He had a very good game against the Eagles, including a great strip of the ball from Buckhalter, a play that the trusty MNF announcers did not even notice. Also, he looks good on punt returns, and I think he is going to break one soon.

I think the main problem with the defense has been the lack of pass rush as well as the poor coverage skills of Manuel, Collins, Carroll, and Poppinga. Even Harris has had quite a few lapses. Woodson has been our best player in coverage, which unfortunately isn't saying much. The entire defense needs to step it up.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played great last week 'till he left the game. He ripped a ball loose for a forced fumble which saved 7 points.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is playing better than most think. He has 0 INT's but even Harris wasn't one to intercept balls. In fact if you noticed with Woodson's presence most teams are throwing more at Harris and taking advantage. Woodson definitely isn't living up to his pay check but Al Harris isn't showing that he deserves one similar either. The safeties are the biggest problem though. The safeties on this team can’t cover at all. Both can stop the run but they can’t cover. Collins I think can improve. Manuel I highly doubt it though.

Rams will be a huge test for both of them though. Two tough WR's and they're considered soft by many so the bump might work on them. We'll see though.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So tell me what are you seeing?

He isn't playing that bad, he's just not living up to the contract he got, but he's not that bad.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
So tell me what are you seeing?

He isn't playing that bad, he's just not living up to the contract he got, but he's not that bad.

I would agree with that assessment.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I thought we were going to get a shut down corner and he's far from that.

Do shut down Corner's even exist now?

Last one I could think of was Deion Sanders and Darrell Green and they are the greatest to ever play in my opinion at that position.

I also agree with the assessment that he's not playing bad. He's just not living up to his contract.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, porky. Deion Sanders is the only true "shutdown corner" I've ever seen. I can't say that about Darrell Green because I wasn't watching much football when he was in his prime.

Woodson is getting a chunk of money that he could not possibly live up to, which is mostly Ted Thompson's fault, not his.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Agreed, porky. Deion Sanders is the only true "shutdown corner" I've ever seen. I can't say that about Darrell Green because I wasn't watching much football when he was in his prime.

Woodson is getting a chunk of money that he could not possibly live up to, which is mostly Ted Thompson's fault, not his.

Tom Waddle burned Neon Deion for a 65 yard TD once. There is no such thing as a "shutdown corner"

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR's are to good to be completely shut down. I figure Champ is the top corner now and see him get burnt sometimes. Woodson might still improve cause have to remember how much football he's missed the last few years. It's not like he's played a bunch to really be called an established vet

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

This Post Win's Raider Prides Nobel Peace Prize in the Packer Forum catagory.

A brilliant observation.

Do not blame Woodson for what The Packers offered him. He is playing well, he will play better in the future, however.... If the Packers did indeed offer him more than he was worth then it is buyer beware.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like woodson a lot and he has talent but he shows less every year...I think he is greedy but he HAS talent

PackerFan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's past his prime! He's not a Darrell Green type corner or a Jerry Rice type player to play at the top of his game for 20 seasons...

Been in the league awhile already, and has had some injury problems...

nuff said.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Woodson isn't perfect by any means hes played well the last two games and IMO is showing signs of getting better. Frankly, hes becoming the only one in the secondary that I even trust on a consistant basis during the game.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
Greg C. said:

Tom Waddle burned Neon Deion for a 65 yard TD once. There is no such thing as a "shutdown corner"

Sorry I disagree with that statement. Deon was incredible. Usually would take away half of the field. Champ Bailey and Rashean Mathis, IMO, are the two best corners in todays game. Yeah every corner gets beat sometimes, but overall they do "shutdown" the best reciever quite often.

Members online

Latest posts