Is this team built for bad weather?

D

Dan115

Coaches seem concern. McCarthy,Philbin,and Capers have all mention the wind during the past two weeks.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Dan, McCarthy has been building this team for several years now. He has been building a Championship team. Next to Buffalo we play in probably the most hostile environment in the NFL. Do you not think that when they were building this offense they did not take wind into consideration. We have Starks and Grant and Kuuuuuhn. Were good.

Have a good night.

D

Dan115

Dan, McCarthy has been building this team for several years now. He has been building a Championship team. Next to Buffalo we play in probably the most hostile environment in the NFL. Do you not think that when they were building this offense they did not take wind into consideration. We have Starks and Grant and Kuuuuuhn. Were good.

Have a good night.

I am only quoting McCarthy,Philbin and Capers. Their words of concern about the wind. The Packers are built to throw the ball. They are on pace to throw for more than 4,000 yards however do you think they will rush for more than 1,000 yards this year? A windy day could slow down the Packers O more than the opponents D.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers passes cut through that wind like it was nonexistent the other night. What was Rodgers QB rating for the night? We can handle the wind just fine.

D

Dan115

Packers have not played under windy conditions yet this year. McCarthy and Philbin have both expressed their concern.

D

Dan115

Candlestick is KNOWN for it's wind. Kickers hate that place.

YES, my thoughts. 9ers atCandlestick. Could be tough for THE PACK. 9ers like to pound the ball. A swirling wind could cause trouble for the Packers passing attack.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see we have arguably the best QB in the game. If he has trouble passing in the wind, which I doubt will effect him much, then think how it will effect the QB on the other side. What's more the achilles heel of our defense is their inability to defend the pass. Our defense has defended the run really well. I Like our chances if the other team becomes reduced to running the ball. Rodgers will complete more passes than their guy and we'll stuff the run when the other QB can't throw. It's all good for us.

And it was windy Monday night. Maybe not a gale but windy.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Candlestick is KNOWN for it's wind. Kickers hate that place.

Green Bay winter weather can have high winds with extremely cold temperatures and possibility of heavy snow fall in December & January.

Example: January '08 , The NFC Championship game - Giants vs Packer at LF. Temp was -4 and Wind Chill Temp was -28. This was third coldest game day at LambeauField. Final Score was Giants 23 Packers 20.

Coldest game day at LF was 12/31/67. NF L Championhip game, Cowboys vs Packers at LF. Temperature was -17 & Wind Chill Factor -28. A few players and fans got frost bite. LF playing field was like ice skating rink. This gme is forever called the Ice Bowl . Final score was Packers 21 Cowboys 17

Packers vs Bucs on 12/01/85 at LF over 12 inches of snow came down with high winds the night before the game and durng game day. Only 18,856, fans made it out to LF. Smallest crowd ever at LF. Capacity at LF in '85 was 56,895.

There were high drifts of snow the Streets and highways making roads in GB area
were impassable to all but snowmobiles ,trucks with plows and walking. This game between the Bucs
and the Packers at LF is called The Snow Bowl.
The final Score of the game Packers 21 Bucs 0. The rookie QB for the Bucs was Steve Young.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see we have arguably the best QB in the game. If he has trouble passing in the wind, which I doubt will effect him much, then think how it will effect the QB on the other side. What's more the achilles heel of our defense is their inability to defend the pass. Our defense has defended the run really well. I Like our chances if the other team becomes reduced to running the ball. Rodgers will complete more passes than their guy and we'll stuff the run when the other QB can't throw. It's all good for us.

And it was windy Monday night. Maybe not a gale but windy.
The only thing that the weather needs to effect is the long ball and you'll see a very tightly matched game. And to be honest the Niner running game>Packer running game. Same goes for rushing defense as well as kickers/punters.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that the weather needs to effect is the long ball and you'll see a very tightly matched game. And to be honest the Niner running game>Packer running game. Same goes for rushing defense as well as kickers/punters.
Capers loves to make the game one dimensional. He'd like nothing more than to forget about the long ball and bring 7-8 players in the box. If you watch our offense you'll see that we throw a lot of short stuff. That's the West Coast offense. Yards after the catch and we excel in that. I think we are at the top or near the top in yards after catch.

The point is we'd still be able to throw enough and reducing SF to just running would be to our advantage. I'm a helluva lot more worried about meeting a team without the wind factor that can both throw and run the ball.

I'm not buying this strawman.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers loves to make the game one dimensional. He'd like nothing more than to forget about the long ball and bring 7-8 players in the box. If you watch our offense you'll see that we throw a lot of short stuff. That's the West Coast offense. Yards after the catch and we excel in that. I think we are at the top or near the top in yards after catch.

The point is we'd still be able to throw enough and reducing SF to just running would be to our advantage. I'm a helluva lot more worried about meeting a team without the wind factor that can both throw and run the ball.
God bless the Pack but they won't zero the Niner short pass game or the run game. A true WCO is about 50/50 run vs pass and that's what the Niners do. In bad weather it'll come down to defense.
In good weather or in a dome, the Pack shouldn't fear anyone. Most teams in the league right now either have a good offense or a good defense but not both... except the Niners and the Steelers. And the Steelers are AFC. The only teams with an outstanding passing game are the Pats and Saints but both their defenses stink. And again the Pats are also AFC.

I'll start talking about the 9er's and the PACK on Jan 2.
Well there is alot of football left to play. But this matchup looks more and more likely with each week. Nuthin' wrong with talkin' it up a bit! :tup:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one said the Packers would zero the 9'ers.

No the West Coast offense is not a 50-50 run pass offense.

From Wikepedia: "Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense differs from traditional offense by emphasizing a short, horizontal passing attack to help stretch out the defense, thus opening up options for longer running plays and longer passes that can achieve greater gains. The West Coast Offense as implemented under Walsh features precisely run pass patterns by the receivers that make up about 65% to 80% of the offensive scheme. With the defense stretched out, the offense is then free to focus the remaining plays on longer throws of more than 14 yards and mid to long yard rushes. "

Also the RB is used mostly as a receiver in the West Coast offense.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one said the Packers would zero the 9'ers.
I guess I misinterpreted this.
... and reducing SF to just running...
No the West Coast offense is not a 50-50 run pass offense.

From Wikepedia: "Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense differs from traditional offense by emphasizing a short, horizontal passing attack to help stretch out the defense, thus opening up options for longer running plays and longer passes that can achieve greater gains. The West Coast Offense as implemented under Walsh features precisely run pass patterns by the receivers that make up about 65% to 80% of the offensive scheme. With the defense stretched out, the offense is then free to focus the remaining plays on longer throws of more than 14 yards and mid to long yard rushes. "

Also the RB is used mostly as a receiver in the West Coast offense.

Yes RBs do often act as receivers in the WCO which hasn't been true the last 3 games. Harbaugh has implemented his own version of the WCO this year. But it's still developing. You haven't see the whole ball of wax yet.

Don't trust Wikepedia.

http://football.about.com/od/offensivestrategy/a/West-Coast.htm
The West Coast Offense, as developed by former San Francisco 49ers head coach Bill Walsh, is a finesse offense that utilizes a short passing game designed to control the ball.
In most conventional offenses, the idea is to run the ball to draw the safeties and linebackers in closer to the line of scrimmage, thus opening up passing lanes for a vertical attack. The West Coast Offense does just the opposite, using a quick, horizontal passing attack to set up the running game.

To get a consenus about what kind of offense the Niners are really playing, I asked the question on NinerNation.com. I'll tell y'all about it when I get one.

D

Dan115

The title of this thread ----Is This team built for Bad Weather? -Packer coaches did not say the team could not play well in the cold or rain, however in the past two weeks I will reiterate---- Packer coaches have made the comment that the wind is the great equalizer.
I do not believe The Packers have played a game this year in windy conditions. Windy conditions, more than a breeze. Playing in the wind would favor a team that can run the ball. I think this is open for healthy debate. I am sure the Packer Coaches are scheming for this type of game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
God bless the Pack but they won't zero the Niner short pass game or the run game. A true WCO is about 50/50 run vs pass and that's what the Niners do. In bad weather it'll come down to defense.
In good weather or in a dome, the Pack shouldn't fear anyone. Most teams in the league right now either have a good offense or a good defense but not both... except the Niners and the Steelers. And the Steelers are AFC. The only teams with an outstanding passing game are the Pats and Saints but both their defenses stink. And again the Pats are also AFC.

Well there is alot of football left to play. But this matchup looks more and more likely with each week. Nuthin' wrong with talkin' it up a bit! :tup:

Uhhh, what do you consider the Packer passing attack is, chopped liver? The QB is a leading MVP candidate and you don't get there by running the wishbone. SF has a running based offense with an attacking decent defense. Not much different than what the Bears or Ravens do.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:tdown: Poppa San, I'm talking about teams OTHER than the Pack. As in opponents with big passing games the Packers might play. In the NFC, only the Saints fill that bill. And their D sucks. So the Pack shouldn't fear them.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
:tdown: Poppa San, I'm talking about teams OTHER than the Pack. As in opponents with big passing games the Packers might play. In the NFC, only the Saints fill that bill. And their D sucks. So the Pack shouldn't fear them.
The Pack Fears no one. They respect every team and prepare to do battle but they expect to win every game they play each week.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I thought the announcer said it was windy this past game against the Vikings. Does that count? How'd the Packers do?

Members online

Latest posts