Is this team better than the 2011 team?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15-1 and the best offense in franchise history and a turnover creating defense vs balanced offense and a sack heavy defense

D

Deleted member 6794

15-1 and the best offense in franchise history and a turnover creating defense vs balanced offense and a sack heavy defense

I don´t care if this team is better than the 2011 edition as long as the outcome is a different one.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Too early to tell. Defense has looked pretty good thus far, although Kaepernick helped us out this week. Offense has been pretty good despite the absence of Jordy and Adams being hurt.

This team is different than 2011 in that the defense on that team wasn't all that good, and the running game was suspect. Still, small sample size with regard to this season. Let's see how they do with snow on the ground first.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Only 4 games into the Season I am cautiously optimistic of how far this team will go. But lets not get too overly excited and forget that we beat 2 very weak teams on the road in Chicago and San Fran. Our 2 home victories all though impressive came against an "average" team in KC and a team playing without their Defensive leader in Seattle.

The O-line is probably my major concern right now, since both tackles on any given play can look like swinging doors and too much of that the rest of the season and Rodgers might not make it to the end.

The defense has really come around, but as good as they looked yesterday, you have to wonder what the outcome would have been against the "old Kapernick", he looked terrible and made our defense look just that much better because of it.

We will probably be favored to win our next 2-3 games, but going 15-1 with games on the road against Carolina and Arizona.....let's just keep getting better and hope Bulaga is back soon.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Lot of insight here Lol
Be careful ivo, there wasn't a lot of insight in the OP and as one of the posters here who frequently posts links with no comment at all... Just say'n. ;)

To answer your question: Yes. (How's that for insight?)

D

Deleted member 6794

We will probably be favored to win our next 2-3 games, but going 15-1 with games on the road against Carolina and Arizona.....let's just keep getting better and hope Bulaga is back soon.

Don´t forget we have to play at Denver and Minnesota as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm a bit skeptical that the 2011 defense could have done as masterful a job of stopping the opposition as the 2015 version has done over the last three games. Game one against the Bears may be more indicative of what the 2011 defense would have done against all opponents, so far, in 2015.

The offense is much better balanced, as well. Overall, I favor this team more than the 2011 version.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 2011 defense was ranked #32 in the league.

Total yards isn't a great indicator for a defense's performance, the 2011 unit ranked 19th in points allowed and 25th in DVOA which better reflects their play.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this defense will be better than the 2011 defense. If it's just as good as last years' defense it'll be enough to win the Super Bowl. That being said, I'm going to have to see how this defense holds up over the next few weeks before being completely sold on it. The 2012 defense started out strong too, only to decline as the season wore on and get burned in the playoffs.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes,IMO this year's edition is better. They're balanced. The 2011 team was all about Rodgers and the passing attack. This years team still has that, but can run the ball and has a defense more than good enough to win with.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
only thing better about this years team then 2011 is the front 7 on defence. As far as offence ill take 2011 offence in a heart beat Jermichael Finley was a unstoppable monster. 2011 secondary was straight ball hawks nick collins, tramon williams, charles woodson. Im still crying about that lost to arizona in OT when they facemasked aaron. I was at the game it was a long drive back to Las Vegas :(

H

HardRightEdge

The 2015 version has better run/pass balance and a better defense. It doesn't matter if this team wins fewer games; it is better constituted to match up with a variety of opponents in the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

2011 secondary was straight ball hawks nick collins, tramon williams, charles woodson.

Nick Collins was lost to a career-ending injury in the second game of the 2011 season though. It took Thompson nearly three years to at least adequately replace him.

H

HardRightEdge

and #1 in INTs
It was a defense that was tentative up front and route jumping in the back, with generally poor tackling all around. For every pick there were two blown coverages. Those picks were the desert without the meat and potatoes. If the picks don't come organically out of a sound defense, the odds of playoff failure are particularly high.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a defense that was tentative up front and route jumping in the back, with generally poor tackling all around. For every pick there were two blown coverages. Those picks were the desert without the meat and potatoes. If the picks don't come organically out of a sound defense, the odds of playoff failure are particularly high.

Just stating facts for people held up on 32nd in yards given up. yards dont tell the whole story

H

HardRightEdge

Just stating facts for people held up on 32nd in yards given up. yards dont tell the whole story
I think in this crowd, most everybody is aware of the yards / INT dichotomy.

If someone wishes to emphasize the 2011 Packers all-time NFL records for passing yards surrendered, passing first downs surrendered and +20 yard passing plays surrendered, it's most likely because they see those records as far outweighing the hit-or-miss route jumping.

H

HardRightEdge

Nick Collins was lost to a career-ending injury in the second game of the 2011 season though. It took Thompson nearly three years to at least adequately replace him.
What he described sounds like 2009, not 2011. Finley's dramatic catches were perhaps most notable in 2009, the Arizona OT game was in 2009, and Collins played a full schedule and was named to the Pro Bowl that year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a much more balanced team in 2015. The offense isn't quite the juggernaut that 2011 was, but the defense is more capable, imho. I seem to remember thinking "who cares if the defense gives up 33 every game when the offense will score 35+". I have confidence that AR can lead a late drive to claim a victory if necessary, but don't think this D will yield 33 much (at all?).

Members online

Latest posts