Is this team better than the 2011 team?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in this crowd, most everybody is aware of the yards / INT dichotomy.

If someone wishes to emphasize the 2011 Packers all-time NFL records for passing yards surrendered, passing first downs surrendered and +20 yard passing plays surrendered, it's most likely because they see those records as far outweighing the hit-or-miss route jumping.

unfortunately whenever 2011 gets brought up someone always says 32nd ranked defense or worst defense in the league when that is so far off the mark.

Its a talking point some dont want to give up

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The major comparison to me is confidence. The 2011 team played with the confidence of world champions, which they of course were at the time. The 2015 team is also playing with a load of confidence, maybe because they know they could have been champions last season or just because they are following Aaron's 2014 advice to relax. 2011 set recent team records in terms of offense while setting new lows on defense. That +24 takeaway differential was the only redeeming quality of the defense along with being about average at points allowed.

In short, they are similar because of their swagger but very different on both offense and defense. I agree with HRE and others that this team is better suited for a post-season run because of its balance.

H

HardRightEdge

unfortunately whenever 2011 gets brought up someone always says 32nd ranked defense or worst defense in the league when that is so far off the mark.

Its a talking point some dont want to give up
When evaluating 2011, the fact the defense gave up those kinds of yards/plays should be brought up, just as the sub-standard defense of 2015 and the Seattle collapse should be brought up when evaluating that season. Unless sugar coating and revisionist history is your thing. ;)

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When evaluating 2011, the fact the defense gave up those kinds of yards/plays should be brought up, just as the sub-standard defense of 2015 and the Seattle collapse should be brought up when evaluating that season. Unless sugar coating and revisionist history is your thing. ;)

Sure, it can be brought up, but its ignorant to run around using it to define the 2011 defense. But hey, you seem blissful ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Sure, it can be brought up, but its ignorant to run around using it to define the 2011 defense. But hey, you seem blissful ;)
It does define the 2011 defense. 4-0 with a defense that plays like they mean it...yeah, I'm pretty pleased so far.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and similar to the Rams, the Giants had a fantastic front that didn't blitz Rodgers and blanketed the WR routes. I think that Aaron has gotten better at executing against these defenses but it still demands top WR play. The Rams don't have the secondary that the Giants boasted in 2011

Members online

Latest posts