Is this professional management?

12theTruth

Seriously.

No viable backup to AR until 6 days before opening day. I don't even call that viable
No one to KR or PR. Not even really an afterthought. Cobb - I like it but HUGE risk
DBs - we can hardly field a team in the dime or nickel
OLine - never been good, then to switch all 5 of their positions from last year - WTF
RBs - Lacy and Franklin. I like it but 6 years into AR's career, we start to take rushing seriously?
Crosby - OMG, can you go lower on the food chain. What about the fake "competition"?
McCra%%y - Play caller with an odd number of chromosomes.

You should add a team that will also be hamstrung by their salary structure. Once Shields, Raji, or Finley get their $$$$$
I've read where almost a third of the Packers payroll will be tied up in 3 players.

Ben McAdoo is a rather anonymous member of this coaching staff. He coaches QB's but when McCarthy gave him the job he had no prior experience at any level (according to this Packers.com profile) either coaching QB's or even playing the position. I am of a sneaking suspicion that when McCarthy rounds out his staff his number one prerequisite is loyalty immediately followed by familiarity. I don't think you can discount McAdoo has a factor in the struggles to develop a quality backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Our special teams are not so good this year. In fact if you look at the entirety of Slocum's coaching history with the Packers he is probably the 2nd weakest link on McCarthy's coaching staff. Packers can live without a Devin Hester type PR/KR but you'd think they'd at least be able to field someone serviceable. Ted will find a stop-gap solution.

I don't agree with your assessment at all with the DB's. When healthy we have a nice lineup back there. Its just that when injuries rear their ugly head our backups don't yet have the ability to capably fill in.

RB's I think Brandon Jackson was a 2nd round pick. That's not seriously addressing the position? By the way I pretty much nailed the Packers draft needs this last offseason, and I was going ape about the need to draft a RB with a high pick. I remember getting considerable disagreement about that. Heck Thompson at least takes the OL seriously as he has drafted the heck out of that position including again in this past draft. Generally speaking you want a good line for your backs.

OL- Hard to argue with you on this one. Can't blame Teddy T for this one though. I think if McCarthy and Rodgers can get on the same page we can cater to the current run blocking capabilities of this unit more so as their pass protection leaves much to be desired. Sort of ironic that after going 42 straight games without a 100 yard runner the Packers have two consecutive games of doing so. :confused:

I've hated on Crosby in the past . But is now really the time to do it. He is 4-4 after all for the season. Likely there will plenty of time for that as the season progresses.

Here is something nice about Mike McCarthy. He has a steadfast loyalty to his men and with his philosophy. But that can be a double edged sword as we've seen at times before and more than ever in the present.

Most teams and their fan bases would die to be in the position that the Packers are in. Great QB, Great Winning Tradition, Great Stadium, and a very good GM despite your implications in the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's my point. BF in his prime and AR in his prime, we're on top of the world. You have to take advantage of it. What did the pack do after superbowl XXXI and XLV (so far). I don't want to see a repeat of the decline. AR is in his prime now. .

Ok I think your posts did not reflect that

Reaction score
Seriously.

No viable backup to AR until 6 days before opening day. I don't even call that viable
If Rodgers gets injured, I would personally want to tank to get a better pick since the season is basically over anyways. Why would you want a good backup to lose in the first round of the playoffs and get a bad pick?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'd have had a couple more Championships with someone who didn't throw the ball to the other team in the playoffs. Starr's record low interception number had a lot to do with our 5 Championships with him. Much of his supporting cast is now in the HOF because Starr led them to the Championships. The Mississippi Missile's record number of playoff interceptions had a lot to do with only 1 Championship with him, and the claim that he had no supporting cast. Funny.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Seriously.
IMO your posts are, to be kind, disingenuous. You post with a clear agenda and obviously don’t excel in hiding it. In one of your first posts here you declared the drafting of Casey Hayward a “whiff”. And with that your agenda became clear as almost all Packers fans know, Hayward had a tremendous rookie season and was named to the all-rookie team. Then you introduced yourself as the biggest Ted Thompson hater in your state and, as if an explanation was needed, you also posted you are the biggest Favre fan in your state. And in this thread you posted, “McCra%%y – Play caller with an odd number of chromosomes.” As I posted before how sad for you to root for a team whose GM and HC you obviously loathe. And all for a player who was a traitor to the team you claim to root for.

To answer the foolish question you pose in this thread, “Is this professional management?”: Yes it is. Since Thompson took over as VP/GM the Packers have won about 61% of their regular season games. Not counting his first year in which Harlan forced him to keep a HC who sulked about his demotion and was basically a pr!ck to Thompson (according to Harlan), it’s about 66%. In those eight years the Packers have won the division three times, made the playoffs five times, and of course won the Super Bowl once.

Regarding your immature slur of Mike McCarthy, this play caller’s offenses have ranked 22nd, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 10th, 1st, and 5th in the league in scoring offense for an average finish of 7th. That too, is a professional job.

You cite Wolf saying he should have surrounded Favre with more weapons but as previously mentioned, it was Favre who pissed away chances in the playoffs (and not only for the Packers!).

Of course neither Thompson nor McCarthy are perfect and we just witnessed a game which showed even the best QB in the league is human and makes mistakes. Many reasonable Packers fans on this site both recognize their attributes as well as their weaknesses but in your brief stay you have shown clearly you are not in this group. You are fortunate that the standard you hypocritically attempt to apply to Packers’ management is not applied to posters. Seriously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
IMO your posts are, to be kind, disingenuous. You post with a clear agenda and obviously don’t excel in hiding it. In one of your first posts here you declared the drafting of Casey Hayward a “whiff”. And with that your agenda became clear as almost all Packers fans know, Hayward had a tremendous rookie season and was named to the all-rookie team. Then you introduced yourself as the biggest Ted Thompson hater in your state and, as if an explanation was needed, you also posted you are the biggest Favre fan in your state. And in this thread you posted, “McCra%%y – Play caller with an odd number of chromosomes.” As I posted before how sad for you to root for a team whose GM and HC you obviously loathe. And all for a player who was a traitor to the team you claim to root for.

Throughout time GMs and head coaches have fallen out of favor with fans. There isn't an NFL team who's HC or GM doesn't have its detractors. Get over it.

To answer the foolish question you pose in this thread, “Is this professional management?”: Yes it is. Since Thompson took over as VP/GM the Packers have won about 61% of their regular season games. Not counting his first year in which Harlan forced him to keep a HC who sulked about his demotion and was basically a pr!ck to Thompson (according to Harlan), it’s about 66%. In those eight years the Packers have won the division three times, made the playoffs five times, and of course won the Super Bowl once.

And in the last two seasons....
History is just that. We cold have waxed poetic in 98 about the prior two years of going back to back superbowls, but how did that work out?

Regarding your immature slur of Mike McCarthy, this play caller’s offenses have ranked 22nd, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 10th, 1st, and 5th in the league in scoring offense for an average finish of 7th. That too, is a professional job.

Immature or not, I don't like him. I give credit to the men wearing uniforms. You are a fan of the suits. I value AR as the MVP far more than any coach of the year or NFL executive of the year.

You cite Wolf saying he should have surrounded Favre with more weapons but as previously mentioned, it was Favre who pissed away chances in the playoffs (and not only for the Packers!).

As a fan of players, I don't pin any loss or victory on one man. Sounds like you have a dislike for our former QB which you can't equate with my dislike for certain suits, or pot meet kettle.

Of course neither Thompson nor McCarthy are perfect and we just witnessed a game which showed even the best QB in the league is human and makes mistakes. Many reasonable Packers on this site both recognize their attributes as well as their weaknesses but in your brief stay you have shown clearly you are not in this group. You are fortunate that the standard you hypocritically attempt to apply to Packers’ management is not applied to posters. Seriously.

You not having my point of view, doesn't make me a hyporcrite, it means we don't agree. If you are beyond a teenager, I would hope that you have learned that people can disagree and that there's nothing wrong with that.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You not having my point of view, doesn't make me a hyporcrite, it means we don't agree. If you are beyond a teenager, I would hope that you have learned that people can disagree and that there's nothing wrong with that.

The narrow minded tend to believe that their opinions are the only correct opinions. They lash out when their small world is threatened. Each opinion has value, it is up to each of us to evaluate that value. Besting a fool accomplishes little. Ignorance can be cured, but stupidity is a terminal affliction.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The narrow minded tend to believe that their opinions are the only correct opinions. They lash out when their small world is threatened. Each opinion has value, it is up to each of us to evaluate that value. Besting a fool accomplishes little. Ignorance can be cured, but stupidity is a terminal affliction.

Not a dig at Bus Cook or anyone else. Sorry if it was misunderstood that way.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Check "Bus" for duplicate IP's.

I used to 'smurf' as a Bears fan many years ago just to rile up the easily riled. ;) Jes' sayin' is all. I have since matured .... just last week ... but I have matured.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

IMO, the Packer's Offence has performed well these past seasons. They have consistently scored and produced the points when it's their turn on the turf. Yes, there are and have been parts of that offence could have and can do better. Yet in the final analysis, The offence has more than done it's job well.

The Packers defence, over the past seasons, has been inconsistent. A strong defence has always been a defining characteristic of championship teams. We should recall when Reggie White was acquired from the Eagles, his physical play not only made for dramatic game changing plays, but he inspired his teammates to elevate their play. Also, the last Packers SB team had a championship quality defence that carried into the following season. This seasons defence is still a young group, but I see promise. IMO, there could be better coaching in some areas, but I do not totally agree with the "get them cheap through the draft" policy. Quality players that deserved to be pursued were not , with the explanation that there was no money to pursue a proven player. The Packers are rolling in money according to sports and business authorities. TV, Stadium, and Packer brand products bring in huge dollars. Yet, many of our best players just move on to other teams because management will not pay them to stay. When a defence, no matter how well meaning, gives up more points than the offence scores it's not a good thing. Yes, the players are playing their guts out, and I salute them for their valiant efforts.
On a higher level though, there is a marked difference between a good player and a great player. Must we always wait and pray that this player or that player be the next great discovery. Then wave as that discovery leaves for another team and more money. Yes , some players do get the next contract, but how many have been lost or never pursued due to "what they tell us" is a lack of money.

:confused: ;)

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
For those who don't get it:
Little Johnny wants to buy candy for his entire class of 53. He wants to give everyone a jumbo candy bar but they are $1.00. He can buy regular candy bars at $.50 but he only has $10.00.
Thobidioux is a neighbor and his best buddy so he gives him 2 jumbos.
Little Bus, Smokey and Alice help him study and win in exams. He buys them all jumbos.
Gaylen, Trixie, Burt, Ernie and Jeff are on his baseball team so he buys them regulars.
Eddie, Bobbie, Tommy, Donnie, Markie and Max are all in his boy scout pack so he gives them 10 penny candies.
Aaron, Jordy, Randall, Eddie, Clay, Datone, Johnathan, B.J., C.J., A.J., T.J., J.C. and M.D. all play in marbles leagues with him so he gives them 5 penny candies.
He gives everyone else a penny candy and holds on to $1.00 in case he needs help with his next Math exam.
There is a salary cap in the NFL. You can't build a roster of all blue chippers.
Best you can do is suck for several successive years to get lots of high draft picks that you can pay with penny candy. Problem is...... nobody wants to sit through 4 years of terrible football while you gather your roster of low=paid stars.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

A roster of all blue chippers is an over dramatization. Yet I do not believe there is no room to pick up the occasional free agent blue chipper, as other teams do. Furthermore, I do not believe there just ain't no money.

I once knew a man who went through life always telling people that he had very little. He lived in a small house, drove used cars that needed constant repair, and dressed in old clothes that looked like they came from the Goodwill Store. He never went out to eat, never travelled or took vacations, and was only paid the rare visit from relatives. Yet when he died, because he had bad teeth and would not see a Dentist and it was the cause of his fatal heart attack, it was discovered that he was worth over 10 million dollars.

I believe there is more money available than the Packers are willing to disclose. Also some owners exceed the cap on a regular basis and make it back, x10, by putting a more promotable product before the public.

12theTruth

I believe there is more money available than the Packers are willing to disclose. Also some owners exceed the cap on a regular basis and make it back, x10, by putting a more promotable product before the public.

The NFL unlike the NBA has a hard salary cap. But you can can stretch the system a bit http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-contract-restructuring-takes-advantage-of-loophole-2013-2
The Packers have more financial flexibility than many other teams due to their stadium renovation, etc. But you still have to be discipline with players and contracts or you become this years Pittsburgh Steelers.

Last edited by a moderator:

12theTruth

Check "Bus" for duplicate IP's.

I used to 'smurf' as a Bears fan many years ago just to rile up the easily riled. ;) Jes' sayin' is all. I have since matured .... just last week ... but I have matured.

Just curious how is a "smurf" different than a troll.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference is that there has never been a television show about trolls while there has been about smurfs.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Market size is not a consideration in this case. GB fills it's stadium for every game. The NFL shares all TV money equally between the teams. The Packers market their brand internationally and are rated near the top in sports franchise product sales. Also , they do not incur the stadium cost of a Jerry Jones or a Daniel Snyder . :eek:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm always surprised that people are surprised. Public companies always manipulate the books because they have to play open-handed while their competitors get to keep their cards close to the vest. Never take public financial statements on face value whether it's Enron, General Electric, or the Green Bay Packers. They all manipulate, hide, and obfuscate the truth to gain competitive advantages. Unfortunately it's the game but it's usually not hard to lift their skirts. You just need to look at the numbers, pay attention to what is being said, and ask the right questions if necessary.

I work with city governments a lot and I hope that nobody believes the BS they regularly pump out in their financial/budget disclosures. It's 50% hogwash mixed with sprinkles of stardust, but that's usually not to gain a competitive advantage but rather to avoid the truth.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I believe Bus Cook was trying to say something similar to what I have. Sometimes we mean well, but it just comes out a little off center.
I still feel that a few targeted trades(not draft picks), but known players and /or possibly Free Agent acquisitions over the past few off seasons could have been of great value. Just imagine D.Reevis playing corner for the pack, or W.Welker catching A.Rodgers passes, or J.J.Watt starting on defence. I do not totally agree with crossing ones fingers praying that we get lucky with cheap, unproven rookies or believing that developing a player can replace raw talent that was never there (i.e. speed). Yes, the gems are sometimes drafted (Bakhtiari, Rodgers, Matthews), but to rise to the top level a team MUST have a championship quality DEFENCE. Woodman, White, Nitesky, etc. have been the D-leaders that elevated the play of their teammates to become Champions.
Fiscal responsibility, while necessary. should be flexible enough to see beyond the balance sheet to recognize and fill special needs. I don't believe the executives can see past the end of their pencils most of the time.

Members online

Latest posts