IS the Defense going to stop Big Plays this year?

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many times I watched as the GB defense allowed come backs and huge plays.

The Question is can the Defense actually hold and not give up the big plays?

This issue of giving up the big plays has been going on for few years now........

D

Deleted member 6794

So many times I watched as the GB defense allowed come backs and huge plays.

The Question is can the Defense actually hold and not give up the big plays?

This issue of giving up the big plays has been going on for few years now........

The Packers defense allowed only the 11th most plays over 20 yards last season which is on par with the unit's overall talent level as the team finished 12th in points allowed.

Your perception the Packers gave up an unproportional number of big plays last season is plain and simple wrong.

OP
OP
J

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense allowed only the 11th most plays over 20 yards last season which is on par with the unit's overall talent level as the team finished 12th in points allowed.

Your perception the Packers gave up an unproportional number of big plays last season is plain and simple wrong.

Really? and those stats are counting the easy games too.

75 yards in OT in AZ???? when they get tired they get sloppy.

As a matter of fact I would question the conditioning program.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Damarious Randall blew the coverage on that one, had nothing to do with a lack of conditioning.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By playoff time in '15 the Packers needed to give significant # of snaps to: Ryan & Thomas @ ILB, and Rollins, Randall & Gunter in the secondary. Most of these guys will be on the roster in '16 and have another year in "the system"... which should reduce the defensive confusion that we occasionally saw when they were filling in.

Big plays happen, for our offense as well as against our D. Minimizing them is the goal, and hopefully the D will be protecting a lead throughout most games so they'll become accustomed to "bend but don't break" plays.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you define "big play" as one over 10 yards rushing, or over 25 yds passing--as this site does: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-big-play-statistics/2015/ then only 6 teams gave up more than the 88 the Packers gave up last year. And that fits with what I saw last year from the defense. The play that lost the game to Arizona in the playoffs was not surprising to me.

I'm not optimistic, but will be happy if I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you define "big play" as one over 10 yards rushing, or over 25 yds passing--as this site does: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-big-play-statistics/2015/ then only 6 teams gave up more than the 88 the Packers gave up last year. And that fits with what I saw last year from the defense. The play that lost the game to Arizona in the playoffs was not surprising to me.

I don't understand the reasoning behind differentiating between yards given up on a pass or a run play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not see giving up the big play as part of the defensive makeup. But I sure would like to see more stops on 3rd down. I wonder what place they came in on that category. And it would be interesting to see it broken down. I mean 3rd and 8 as opposed to 3rd and 2. The 3rd and 8 is what frustrates me.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not optimistic, but will be happy if I'm wrong.
That site says the defense was top 10 in passing big plays allowed. I can live with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did not see giving up the big play as part of the defensive makeup. But I sure would like to see more stops on 3rd down. I wonder what place they came in on that category. And it would be interesting to see it broken down. I mean 3rd and 8 as opposed to 3rd and 2. The 3rd and 8 is what frustrates me.

The Packers defense finished ninth in opponent's third down conversions at 35.7%. With three yards or less to go the team allowed a first down on 54.0% (11th) and with more than seven yards needed for another set of downs Green Bay ranked 19th in the league at 27.1%.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are not impressive stats for a Super Bowl team. Which they are. Maybe the short yardage will get better with the new down lineman and some other changes. But the more than 7 yards needs to be addressed by Capers. I think they have to play tighter on the receivers. Of course putting pressure on the QB is a must or we may have an increase in the big play stat. Still, I don't think we can play scared in that regard.

H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
It should be obvious there has been more than one dramatic playoff instance of the defense's inability to prevent late-game big plays.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they have to play tighter on the receivers. Of course putting pressure on the QB is a must or we may have an increase in the big play stat. Still, I don't think we can play scared in that regard.
Remember there were significant snaps by rookies Randall, Rollins, Ryan & Thomas (2nd yr.). The D "helped" these young guys so Capers was less aggressive than "usual" or than he'd like to be. They won't be liabilities in '16 (IMHO) so the D will be able to be more aggressive, (again, IMHO).

D

Deleted member 6794

Those are not impressive stats for a Super Bowl team. Which they are. Maybe the short yardage will get better with the new down lineman and some other changes. But the more than 7 yards needs to be addressed by Capers. I think they have to play tighter on the receivers. Of course putting pressure on the QB is a must or we may have an increase in the big play stat. Still, I don't think we can play scared in that regard.

You have to realize the Packers aren't built to win with defense. As long as the offense performs up to potential the team is capable of contending for a Super Bowl with an aberage defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the reasoning behind differentiating between yards given up on a pass or a run play.

My knee-jerk reaction was that one expects more out of a pass play than a run. However, the team average per rush in '15 ranged from 3.5-4.8 while the average per pass was 4.9-6.2. So their definition of a 'big' rush is slightly over twice the high average while the 'big' pass is about four times the high average.

D

Deleted member 6794

My knee-jerk reaction was that one expects more out of a pass play than a run. However, the team average per rush in '15 ranged from 3.5-4.8 while the average per pass was 4.9-6.2. So their definition of a 'big' rush is slightly over twice the high average while the 'big' pass is about four times the high average.

I understand teams expect to average more yards on a pass than a run play but when talking about the defense giving up big plays it doesn't make sense to differentiate between them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll rip open a scab. In January of 2004, rookie ILB Nick Barnett bit too ******* a fake to the tight end and, along with sloppy play by Darren Sharper, gave up the infamous 4th & 26th play in the NFC Divisional playoff game vs McNabb and the Eagles. Barnett turned into a pretty good linebacker for the Packers after that. Young players make big mistakes, and the good ones learn from them. Last year's gaffe against the Cardinals stings almost as much but I think that we have smart, young players who are capable of learning and growing.

Members online

Latest posts