"IS" Ted Thompson paying attention?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matching this guy on the other side to Javon Walker would be pretty damn amazing for Brett Favre to have.... IMHO

Seeking to be traded

I say bring it on - this is one deal the Packers should try for...
Ya gotta admit - having a "Brett Favre" for the QB who's throwin' to you, as a WR, well..... I'd say that's quite a bit different than what was put up with in DC.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers have 3 strong WRs in Javon Walker, Donald Driver, and Robert Ferguson. Brett has some weopons to throw too. If the Packers can keep the O Line strong to protect Brett, I think the Packers are fine at the wide receiver position.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comparison was matching our O set against the Colts triple threat....

Now, balance the charts....!
I would agree that Fergie and Driver do have talent - but a year later, Driver is still not where he was before the neck injury and Fergie is still "promising us great things" in the 'near' future... Only Walker seems to "reach up and grab the ball" out of the air... everyone else seems to be waiting for it to land on the numbers and softly at that.... How many dropped balls does it take? I certainly feel for Fergie's injury as well. The Offense is just as responsible for putting numbers up there so the Defense is only attributable for their 50% of the game to attaining a Win. Many times, the Offense dropped the game, not the Defense....

It's one thing to be faithful - to think what we have is suitable and just fine... How many NFC Trophy's do we have now? I say we need to be real honest with ourselves. Go back and look at the tactics we used between '94 to '97 and tell me how many players we kept each year - every damn last one of them? Hardly!

You need to be more specific - a general comment here (for me) is not good enough. The O-Line will suffer enough in the very near future..(Rivera or Wahle). Where else would you improve the Offense "if we already have" the BEST WR"s in the League? Which we don't, people.... How many of our WR set are in the Pro Bowl this year? Obviously the rest of the Players in the NFL don't feel that way.

Now - Hey, what about that now?

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers allready with salary cap problems, sould show no interest in this under achiever. If we don't focus on defensive help for one of the poorest performing groups in the league.....all our coaching moves will be for not!!!

Looking at the whole picture... the last place the Packers need help is in the wide reciever corps. Mid to late round picks seam to yield some very high quality wide recievers.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker was voted into the Pro Bowl, and Driver was an alternate. Walker/Driver had the second highest combined recieving years this season, and both finished in the ten for receiving yards. Our offense was ranked 3rd overall, averaging just under 400 yds/game.

Not sure why you think the receiving core needs an overhaul, or why Rod Garner is an ungrade over Donald Driver.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually? - I agree with sentiments posted here!

I just haven't seen much in postings about Players which would be a good fit for the Pack, from hardly anyone... So, I figured I'd stir the pot just a bit.
For the most part, we only had a few retorts to speak of... MR43 nailed it when he posted stats about Fergie & Driver... good response..

Out of the listed Draft potential for DB's & DE's - which one or two would be a good fit for those positions we know.... the Packers need to fill the gaps?

On top of that - will Ruegamer be a good stand in for Wahle, since he appears the most likely to be... GONE? I've seen several scenarios posted by sportswriters... what other options are there to shore up the O-Line and keep Brett around?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could use a little more depth at receiver after seeing Ferguson get hurt and miss the rest of the season, and seeing Walker get hurt in the Vikings game which left us very thin, but I think we need some more playmakers on defense first. For as good as the Colts were with their 3 wides, they still didn't make the Super Bowl. I'd rather trade for defense, as I believe defense still wins championships. Not since 1987 has a team from the NFC made the Super Bowl with a defense that wasn't rated in the top 10. I'd like to give Defensive Coordinator Bates a few more players to try to get our defense more competitive.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I think we could use a little more depth at receiver after seeing Ferguson get hurt and miss the rest of the season, and seeing Walker get hurt in the Vikings game which left us very thin.....
I would agree here - but as you say - Defense first - here's a thought which no one has considered as yet, other than maybe one or two Coaches at the Packers....

What about that new TE that played in the last half of the Season?
Comment has been made that he would need to put on about 20 lbs in the off season, to get to where they would like their TE's to be... but if he stays where he is or drops 6-7 lbs, wouldn't he be a good additional backup to Javon? Aren't they about the same height? I'm talking about Ben Steele! He reminds me of that guy in Tampa Bay - Jurivicieus(sp)...

Comments?

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not a bad thought, IPB. They're both 6'5" and Steele is listed anywhere from 10-15 lb's heavier than Jurevicius but you don't know how they compare speed wise. Also, with Franks return in question, we may be shorthanded at TE next year. I think we have one of the best 1-2 punches with Walker and Driver and hopefully Ferguson comes back from that cheap closeline hit. We do lack depth behind those three, though and that really cost us in the playoff game. I don't think we need to target a starting caliber WR in FA or the draft, but we certainly need to upgrade our depth either through a late round pick in the draft or a second level FA. We also need a receiver coach now that Ray Sherman left the team. I know the Packers are targeting a guy that used to coach Ferguson in college (not sure where he's coaching now).

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson will take a WR/KR in the later rounds. As for the draft Justin Tuck, Roth, or Spears will be our first round pick with Ernest Shazor or Jamaal Brimmer being taken in the second round and Barett Rudd in the second as well.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen enough of Steele yet. He seems to get open, but I thought he dropped a lot of balls. If he could fix that the way Walker did, Steele could be a player.

I read though that the Packers are actually higher on TE Sean McHugh who was on the practice squad most of the season. It sounds like he has a lot of natural ability, but needs to develop. It sure would help if either Steele or McHugh developed unexpectedly the way Chmura did.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts