Is Team Dedication Died?

Reaction score
Behind all the money being paid out in renewed contracts, expensive draft signings, trying
to keep the team together though resigning's, my question is:

Is "team dedication" nonexistence today from years past?

What happen to voluntary taking a small pay cut to possibly retire with dignity?

Am I asking to much in these modern times in the NFL?

P.S. Example here are to numerous to mention.

Reaction score
This is what I’ve been arguing with Jordys contract. Let the man retire here in a year or two. Take a moderate paycut.
I’d give Jordy a 2yr deal and pay him like 7-8M This year (heck he already has 2.3M dead money) that’s both team friendly (by only increasing our Cap output around 5M in 2018) and gives him some dignity
Have it set up to take another modest reduction next year. Maybe 5-7M range depending on production bonuses that’s phasing him out gracefully while being Cap friendly.
Look at what the Cardinals pay Fitzgerald and he’s not exactly a spring chicken.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the start of true FA, and the hard salary cap, and "business decisions," when was that a thing?
True FA started about the Frankie Winters era and hit its stride with the Reggie White signing era. Salary cap came a thing soon after. Since then it has become "what can you do for us going forward." Not enough? Hit the road jack and don't let the door hit chya where the good lord split chya. Players became mercenaries because teams hold most of the cards otherwise.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have a 10-15 year stretch, normally much less, to make the vast majority of what will be your lifetime income taking pay cuts doesn't sound like the best of ideas when teams don't show loyalty back

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the start of true FA, and the hard salary cap, and "business decisions," when was that a thing?
True FA started about the Frankie Winters era and hit its stride with the Reggie White signing era. Salary cap came a thing soon after. Since then it has become "what can you do for us going forward." Not enough? Hit the road jack and don't let the door hit chya where the good lord split chya. Players became mercenaries because teams hold most of the cards otherwise.

Yes. NFL front office are merciless and more ruthless than the Lannisters. Since the hard cap era began, teams have no problem asking for money back, money that was offered to said player in the first place. So, really why should a player be forced to give it back. Now, if a player does not want to restructure their salary, then its up to the organization to make a decision in its best interests. However, I think its just good business to be up front in that regard. DRC and the N.Y. Giants is a good example of this.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team dedication goes both ways. Teams have no trouble cutting guys who still have years left on their contracts.. when most of these guys won't ever see a 2nd contract, I don't blame them for trying to get as much as they can

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happen to voluntary taking a small pay cut to possibly retire with dignity?

It depends on how long the player thinks he has vs how long the coach thinks he has. We'd be offering him a reduced contract now, but Jordy may think he has 1 or 2 more season at top level before getting a pay cut. Always a grey area.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for a few reasons...
1) its about 10 pm my time
2) i am no internet research professional
3) i am also somewhat lazy

lets be realistic in the past 5 years or even lets go back to 2010 lets take off the green and gold glasses and think hard about where jordy would land as far as top receivers in that time. feel free to prove me wrong but i would put him in the top 5 and no doubt within the top 10 average stats (yards,receptions, td's) etc. now lets put that into perspective of his annual salary compared to others whether it be fitz, dez or any other one year wonder for that matter. or lets go another step beckham will more than likely make more money on his next contract or damn near as much as jordy did his entire career. lets now compare suspensions and leaked videos shall we.

so let me get this straight jordy should take another hometown discount after tearing up his knee and more than likely numerous concussions among other "minor" injuries because he has loyalty to the team?

Members online

Latest posts