1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Is Shields Really Our Most Important Player To Re-Sign?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Feb 14, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    I don't think the Packers would be able to save the $5 million they wouldn't use in 2014 for any other future seasons.

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
    a good corner is always more important than a good center. Center is one of the more replaceable positions in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,490
    I believe that to be untrue.

In round millions, we had about $5 carried over from 2012 to 2013. Adding that to the $123 league number, we had $128 to work with in 2013. Our 2013 cap number was $118 leaving about $10 to carry over to 2014. The $10 added to the $126 gives us $136 to work with in 2014. So, it would appear the carryover is not one-time-only. Extending the same logic forward, if we use $131 of the $136, $5 will carry over to 2015.

I recall it being reported when the CBA was first announced that the carryover would be one time only. Then it wasn't. Maybe there was some conflation with how the DAL and WASH cap penalty distribution would be handled, but I can't recall specifically if those penalties were use-it-or-lose-it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    I think we 're actually meaning the same thing, but having trouble formulating it in a way that we can agree with each other.

The Packers will be able to carry over the $9.8 million in cap space they didn 't use during the 2013 season into 2014, right now having approximately $28-29 million in cap space.

Whatever amount of cap space they won't use in 2014 they'll be allowed to carry over in 2015.

Agree???

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Answer: YES FOR SURE

But I think the #2 most important FA to re-sign is open for debate.
    I vote for James Jones.

6. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    It may be clear to you and me and 99% of people... but...

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    Taking a look at the history of your posts I didn't realize you're the genius around here. Thanks for letting me know. :rolleyes:

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,490
    :tup:

9. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    You are the one that sent me the nasty PM on this issue there big shooter.

Looks like it's you that has a comprehension problem and even basic math is a challenge. People in glass houses...?

10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    Dude, I don't know why you feel you have to comment on a discussion without adding anything to it aside of bashing someone else. But that's actually the only thing you do on this forum aside of agreeing with the guys having your opinion.

I can't remember any posts of you actually providing some information or relevant opinions, so keep up the great work, I'm sure most of us appreciate it. :tdown:

11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,490
    C'mon, NOMOFO. Go easy on WIMM. He has a problem he can't seem to do anything about: taking you seriously.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,012
    If Shields is not retained i would like to see the Packers take the seattle approach at corner. Bring in big Athletic corners who can cover. I think Shields is going to have an even better yr next yr and it should be in a PACKER uniform.

13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,490
    If we sign Raji and pass on Shields I'll shred my stock certificate and mail it to Thompson. Well, a photocopy of it anyway, which would have it's own subtle irony. :confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    What's interesting about that is this: Teddy has been well-known for not drafting CB's who are under 5'11.

Yet in the 2011 Draft 4th Rd pick, he had a choice between 2 taller corners, Richard Sherman of Stanford, and Davon House of New Mexico State, and he went with the shorter one in House, from the smaller school.

I don't think Teddy has a scout for Stanford.... name the last Stanford draft pick we had?
    Was it James Lofton in the 1970's?

15. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I think TT prrides himself on finding small school gems. Thats my honest opinion about the guy..gives him more GM STREET cred in his mind.

16. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    This. Tramon was starting to return to his old form - finally. With all of the problems back there his veteran leadership and ball skills would be missed big time if Ted doesn't sign a vet FA this spring.

17. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,136
    What is your honest opinion about Thompson believing it "gives him more GM STREET cred in his mind" based upon? Something he said or did? Why wouldn't you think he's attempting to find the best players no matter where they went to college?

Here is a list of the schools attended by the players Thompson and the Packers have drafted in rounds 1-5 over the past five years:
    UCLA, Alabama, Colorado, Cornell, UCLA, Iowa, Mississippi State.
    USC, Michigan State, Vanderbilt, Iowa, South Maine, North Carolina State.
    Mississippi State, Kentucky, Hawaii, New Mexico State, Arkansas.
    Iowa, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Penn State, TCU.
    Boston College, USC, Eastern Michigan, LSU, South Carolina.

There are a couple of small schools mixed in and there are more later in the draft and with the UDFAs they sign but I am interested in any evidence that points to Thompson's pride being the reason rather than the obvious reason.

Another thread notes the Packers are last in the league regarding the production of their first rounders since 2010. Imagine the Packers’ luck regarding injuries had been good instead of bad for the past four years.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +346
    See @ Dallas last year. Originally I was in the camp of letting Sam walk but I have changed my mind on this. The thought of $8 million per or whatever it may end up being still makes me nervous with him but he has shown the ability to make big plays.

19. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Well...c'mon... we all know Ted Thompson has thin skin and is worried about what people say about him and he's always clamoring to be in front of the cameras and he's known for being a complete socialite looking for kudos.

lol.... honestly... of all pro-sports executives, Ted Thompson may be the last guy a logical person would make a comment about him being worried about "street cred".

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,588
    Tom Silverstein reported from the combine that Shields is asking for a deal close to the one Tim Jennings signed with the Bears in January (four years, $22.4 million with nearly $12 million guaranteed).

If that's true I want TT to sign him immediately.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    If true, I'd make it: 5 years, $29 million, 17 guaranteed. Get him for another year, and it all averages under $6 mil/season, which is 25% less than Raji turned down.