Is Peyton Manning vs the Colts the new Favre vs the Packers?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to rehash the whole Favre vs the Packers argument, but wanted to know if anyone else thought what has been transpiring with the Colts and Manning the past few days reminds you of the dog days of the summer of 08? (which seems like ages ago at this point)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Peyton is the "politician." OUCH.

There are some who believe Irsay is trying to almost drive him away and that Irsay even told his friend Rob Lowe to tweet what he did too.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is some similarities..But the owner talking way more than the Packers did..

Manning isnt healthy and might not be able to play, is owed a TON OF $$ and they are changing the culture there now..

He is seeing the writing on the wall...but I dont think it will go anywhere like the Brett issue

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cleaning house and starting over....Payton will retire or move on.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I would be almost stunned at this point if Peyton is not released. The writing is on the wall. Heck during the season I would watch Stanford and I kinda just knew Luck was the next QB of the Colts.

Irsay mentioned 1997 a few times early on during the season. Thats when the Colts completely cleaned house and with the first pick in the draft got.....Peyton Manning.

Irsay is going to do it all over again with Luck and hope for another strong era. He wants to build this team a little more balanced though on both sides of the ball. The new gm has already said "too much cap space spent on offense over the years."

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only similar in that the franchise seems ready to move on from the super star. $28 Million is an awful big risk to take.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only similar in that the franchise seems ready to move on from the super star. $28 Million is an awful big risk to take.
have you payed attention to how they have been going back n forth in the media? Its getting bad

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
have you payed attention to how they have been going back n forth in the media? Its getting bad

It is getting bad lol. On the Colts forums there are some divisions. I said from day 1 last year I would support Luck and the new era 100%. It's here already. A new gm, a new HC......everything. Heck even rumor/word is the Colts D is switching to a 3-4. Not suprising they might considering who the new coach is.

Winning cures all though. People need to have patience too. So, basically I have seen some Manning fans saying they leave if Manning leaves. That they might not rally around Luck etc. Sound familiar?

Listen, it will be tough to follow Peyton but then again like Favre he was part of 1 SB win and lost 1. He won multiple MVPs. He has had some boneheaded plays in the playoffs.

I heard on the radio that all the gms in the search recently told sources that they had said it was almost common knowledge Manning would be released. So when does it happen? What are they waiting for? I guess after the SB.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is getting bad lol. On the Colts forums there are some divisions. I said from day 1 last year I would support Luck and the new era 100%. It's here already. A new gm, a new HC......everything. Heck even rumor/word is the Colts D is switching to a 3-4. Not suprising they might considering who the new coach is.

Winning cures all though. People need to have patience too. So, basically I have seen some Manning fans saying they leave if Manning leaves. That they might not rally around Luck etc. Sound familiar?

Listen, it will be tough to follow Peyton but then again like Favre he was part of 1 SB win and lost 1. He won multiple MVPs. He has had some boneheaded plays in the playoffs.

I heard on the radio that all the gms in the search recently told sources that they had said it was almost common knowledge Manning would be released. So when does it happen? What are they waiting for? I guess after the SB.

No need to rush it. You have time to evaluate everything. I mean what happens if you cut peyton and Luck gets in a car wreck? The players aren't around so the distraction is pretty limited at this point. Maybe they are trying to trade him, though I don't think he is tradable judging by how it would affect the colts cap.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Peyton Manning was remotely intelligent, he would retire. He has spine and neck injuries... You don't fool around with spine and neck injuries. He already has a Super Bowl ring, millions of dollars, four MVPs and a spot in the Hall of Fame. He should just let it go and become an announcer.

Mississippi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton is playing in a less physically demanding position than other players who have had the exact same injury and treatment and continue to play. This is not a career ending injury...if he recovers fully. Last anybody heard, he was on the right track, we just don't know where he is right now.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Peyton is playing in a less physically demanding position than other players who have had the exact same injury and treatment and continue to play. This is not a career ending injury...if he recovers fully. Last anybody heard, he was on the right track, we just don't know where he is right now.

According to Bob Kravitz when Irsay said "If Peyton is healthy he is playing for the Colts next year", that Irsay already KNEW that Peyton would not be healthy by the key March date.

One thing that puzzles me is that we never get real health updates on Peyton. Not from him or anyone. Just the same old "rehabbing." Being on the right track is fine but what does that mean?

It is possible Peyton might be in good shape in the summer for all we know. Problem is the Colts are going to take a QB with the first pick which Irsay basically already said. Irsay has said Peyton's health is not a determining factor with the first pick and a QB. And his name is Andrew Luck. I don't even want to hear about RG3 like some bring up at times. Irsay is drafting the best Stanford prospect since John Elway who shunned the Colts once. In some ways I feel Irsay wants to get his Elway that they never got.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^

You figure the Colts will be in rebuilding mode. Mainstays like Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis and other players (possibly Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon) could be let go or not resigned. It makes sense to draft "the most NFL ready prospect to come out of college since Peyton Manning" to replace Peyton Manning. New QB, new coach, new GM.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, there has been a lot of back and forth, but this isn't Peyton announcing his retirement and then trying to force his way back on the team at the last minute. That was more my point.

I saw on ESPN that Peyton has a nerve in his neck that leads to his throwing arm that needs to regenerate. They said there is no rehab or surgery they can do and no timetable for when it will be complete. Put another way, it's a hurry up and wait situation.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is some similarities..But the owner talking way more than the Packers did..

Manning isnt healthy and might not be able to play, is owed a TON OF $$ and they are changing the culture there now..

He is seeing the writing on the wall...but I dont think it will go anywhere like the Brett issue

I agree. Peyton isn't healthy..and may never be. And he's got that balloon payment coming. I think most business persons would see that as a "No Brainer". Brett could still play and didn't need or want money necessarily from GB. Peyton actually wants (maybe "wanted") to play in Indy.

Let's add it up.
1) Indy gets the #1 pick. Andrew Luck, the hottest QB in years is coming out. Indy gets him free and clear
2) Peyton is hurt...His best years are probably behind him,
3) Peyton is due a $20 Million balloon payment March 1st.

HERE 1) and 2) DOES NOT equal 3)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://twitter.com/si_peterking

SI_PeterKing Peter King
Saturday night on phone, @JimIrsay was like a kid on Christmas Eve. Couldn't wait to open his gifts. "We're so ready,'' he said.
1 hour ago

SI_PeterKing Peter King
Problem w/this Manning speculation--Jets, Dolphs, Cards, Skins, etc.--is you're all putting cart before horse. May not be able to play.
1 hour ago

SI_PeterKing Peter King
RT @DennisCultice: Latest on Peyton? ... Irsay strongly denies nfl.com sty, PM struggling to get healthy, Gil Brandt's gut is he's done.
4 hours ago

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts