Is NFL draft system flawed?

Reaction score
Now here me out, this does relate to the packers. We all know how the NFL has a set draft system for each round, based upon team records. But, do you think it should be better for the NFL to have a sort of "reverse order" every round? I mean that the teams picking first in one round would pick last in the next round and vice versa.

But here is the thing, low positions in the draft are at least part of the problem the Pack have. They have drafted so low for many years, and granted you still have talent, but its not the same as having early picks. Should the NFL change the system and allow for teams like Packers, Eagles, Rams, and Pats to name a few have more of a competitive chance to stay on top, or does the NFL stay with the current system and allow the bad teams every oppertunity to develop? What way do you think is correct?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the term ur describing is "snake draft" or something like that, where it alternates like that.

I dont have a problem with that aspect of the draft thouh.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the compensatory picks are very political and not distributed fairly. I would like to see them done away with. The good thing about them is they cannot be traded away or else Sherman would have ensured that Wells would never have been in a Packer uniform.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with the current draft system. If I was a GM whose team picked last, I would just think of it this way: "We don't get a first round pick, but we get to pick first in every other round." Technically that's not true, but it doesn't seem so bad when you look at it that way.

The problem with alternating rounds is that it tilts the balance too much in the other direction. Those early second round picks can be very high quality without taking up as much cap space as the first-rounders.

Parity is one of the great things about the NFL.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It works great in fantasy football drafts, but that's because no one has any players before the draft. The NFL draft works well because it helps the crappier teams and keeps the league more balanced. If the NFL did the snake draft we'd see a lot more dynasties.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All about,
I have been frustrated about the draft for a number of years. With GB at the bottom this year I sure don't want to see them make a change now.

In the future if they were to modify it switching every other round may be too often. As Greg said the high 2nd round picks might be a better value than many of the high 1st round picks. so if they flipped it in the 3rd, back to normal in the 4th, back to having the teams with the better records in the 6th and back to the regular way for the 7th, it might equalize things a bit but it sure would be more confusing wouldn't it? Maybe the Vikings would miss out on a couple of more draft picks.

sunshine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for the most part, the draft does what it's supposed to do - give bad teams a fighting chance at being good one day - i have no problem with it - ask me again AFTER this year's draft - maybe i'll feel differently!! :wink:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
illyjules said:
for the most part, the draft does what it's supposed to do - give bad teams a fighting chance at being good one day - i have no problem with it - ask me again AFTER this year's draft - maybe i'll feel differently!! :wink:

Agreed - Remember, we have Ted Thompson now - and he luvs to set it up to get the most picks in the Draft - as anyone I've ever seen.

He's probably better than Ron Wolf in that aspect and most likely influenced Ron Wolf as an underling.

Members online

Latest posts