Is Mike McCarthy a yeller?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been coaches throughout history that have just flat out yelled at or chewed out players or seem like the type that did. Or be cranky all the time.
Vince Lombardi
Mike Ditka
Bill Parcells
Rex Ryan

And I've heard from a witness that Bret Bielma, the UW Badgers football coach, yells and curses like a sailor at his players during practice.

Do you think Mike McCarthy belongs on this list?
How about Mike Holmgren?

And which do you think is a more effective approach to motivate?
Yelling at players or having a calm demeanor while being firm but not yelling?

Reaction score
McCarthy is probably one of the most soft-spoken coaches in the league. When practice is uptempo, he does have a louder tone, but it is nowhere near yelling.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been coaches throughout history that have just flat out yelled at or chewed out players or seem like the type that did. Or be cranky all the time.
Vince Lombardi
Mike Ditka
Bill Parcells
Rex Ryan

And I've heard from a witness that Bret Bielma, the UW Badgers football coach, yells and curses like a sailor at his players during practice.

Do you think Mike McCarthy belongs on this list?
How about Mike Holmgren?

And which do you think is a more effective approach to motivate?
Yelling at players or having a calm demeanor while being firm but not yelling?

I think this is a very broad question. Rex Ryan does not do the same yelling that lombardi and ditka did, same thing with parcells. There are all different kinds of coaches. I think all demeanors can be successful but 1 thing all great coaches have in common is knowledge. They have the knowledge of the game, the knowledge of how their players respond, and the knowledge to act a certain way. I personally do not know how lombardi would be as a coach nowadays. I know he was smart enough and knowledgeable enough to coach but I am not sure how players would respond to the constant berating and yelling, they are overly sensitive and arrogant nowadays.

I always look at the comparison in basketball, John Wooden one of if not the greatest college basketball coach of all time did great and hardly ever yelled. Bob Knight, one of the greatest coaches of all time (despite how you feel about him) constantly yelled at his players and singled people out. Both styles work, it depends on the group of people you are working with and more often than not players gravitate to and succeed with the coaches that get the most out of them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both styles work, it depends on the group of people you are working with and more often than not players gravitate to and succeed with the coaches that get the most out of them.

Bingo.

I just gave a pep talk to the incoming president of a non-profit organization. I emphasized that sometimes people need a pat on the back and sometimes they need a kick in the rear, and what defines a good leader is knowing the timing and to what extent for each.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yelling doesn't = motivation to everyone, nor does being someones buddy instead of their coach (see: Norv Turner) I think everyone is motivated by something different. That key is finding what that is in everyone, to get the best of said individual. Phil Jackson, in my opinion is the king of getting the most out his players by "pressing the right buttons"

Reaction score
I think both methods work. I'm sure McCarthy yells when he needs to. You need to know your players. Some can be screamed at others don't respond to getting yelled at. Lombardi never yelled at Bart Starr. But others like Max McGee could tolerate getting screamed at.

I have coached youth football for many years. I yell and am more animated during practice. But I also know which kids I can yell at and which ones you have to treat with kids gloves! On game day I try and keep a calm demeanor.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tom Landry was a great coach who wasn't a yeller. Don Shula didn't yell often. When he did, it was a calculated move.

Actually, it terms of sideline coaching style, Landry isn't a bad comparison to McCarthy. They're both the chess player type.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Yelling and shouting can go 2 ways

I remember Marty Schottenihemer as quite a screamer, but he never threw his players under the bus after they screwed up (Earnest Byner), also **** Vermill whom coached the 1999 Rams team, he loved yelling but at the end of the day he was still standing behind his players and supporting them no matter what.

John Madden admits he had a filthy mouth on the sidelines but says he was only sticking up for his players and doing the right thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MM - I bet in private he yells and cusses players out, I have heard stories.

Last year during public practice he dropped the F bomb, even with kids around

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM - I bet in private he yells and cusses players out, I have heard stories.

Last year during public practice he dropped the F bomb, even with kids around
I'm actually surprised since he's a cool cucumber with the press even after a big loss.

Thanx for the input LTF.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't tell because he always has that card over his mouth. He's could be swearing, smiling, whistling or grinding his teeth.
Anything but play calling?
Dang, no wonder why the Packers lost.

So that's what's on the "play card."
Every swear word in 30 different languages (You should hear the Swahili word for "Son of a B****") and in all sorts of variations.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I've seen MM yell a few times but it was never done to chew anyone out or put anyone on the spot.

It's hard to say whether being a yeller or a drill sergeant type coach is effective or not. Some teams and players will respond and others won't.

It can motivate a team or tear them apart and make stuff worse. Todd Haley is one of those drill sergeant type coaches and his tenure with the Chiefs his yelling tough guy coaching methods just made stuff worse. It didn't go over well with Cassel and the rest of the offense.

I think it's probably on of the main reasons he got canned

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha Ha! I'd like to think I somewhat contributed to the demise of that thread.
Most fun thread for me in this new year!

We need to keep ourselves distracted from that... Um.... that um....
Gee, I'm so distracted that I forgot what we needed to distract ourselves from!

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every successful football coach had one trait in common with all the other successful football coaches; he was himself. If he was a yeller he yelled, if he was a cusser he cussed, if he was a cryer he cried. It's the phoneys what have trouble.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The only time I could ever see MM yelling would be behind a closed door one on one and that would be a reach. The guy has his stuff together. We Got lucky twice.

Members online

Latest posts