Is Majikowski Wrong?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Majkowski speaks candidly about Favre

By Todd Korth
, [email protected]
Date: Mar 12, 2006

Don Majkowski was one of many former Packers that made an appearance at the team’s second annual Fan Fest over the weekend. Just about all of them were asked if they feel Brett Favre will return to play football next season for the Packers, and most appeased the die-hard fans by saying, ‘Yes, he’ll be back.’ Majkowski, however, explained why Favre will soon retire from football, providing some realistic reasons.

Majkowski played for Green Bay from 1987-92 and was the last quarterback to start for the Packers before Favre began his amazing starting streak of 221 straight regular season games, an NFL record. Majkowski and Favre were teammates for only a year before Majkowski moved on, but both have kept in touch with each other ever since.
It would have been easy for Majkowski to be like others and say that Favre will return. It’s exactly what the fans want to hear. For the most part, that’s what they heard all weekend from players – past and current – and coaches.

Majkowski, however, when interviewed on the center stage Saturday afternoon, was very candid in explaining why he feels Favre will decide to retire from football. Coming from an ex-quarterback, and one who speaks frequently with Favre, it’s a glaring indication that Favre won’t be back.

Majkowski said he has seen some red flags that are signaling the end of Favre’s stellar career, and one popped up last year about this time.

“Competitive spirit has to come within yourself,â€

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, that is one reason why I am keeping an open mind about this all, there still must be alot of questions Brett is asking himself which is good..the guy can still play,,sure hope he comes back.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Majik is a good man but when he talks about the fire inside.....with all due respect, he really can't compare his fire with Favre's. I'm not sure anyone has ever had the fire inside as intense as Bretts.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if TT let all the good players sign with another team and we only sign minimum wage "bargains".

F@ck it if I was brett I will tell TT to take his close wallet up his @@@@@@ and I will retire...or PLEASE TRADE ME TO A TEAM THAT WANTS TO WIN RIGHT NOW !!!! regardless of who the GREAT GM IS, WELL I WONT EVEN BLAME BRETT IF HE GETS TRADED TO THE QUENNIES..

Yes I know Brett has a bigger sense of pride and honor than THE GREAT ALLMIGTLY TT THE GREATEST A~~HOLE ON EARTH HAS

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Majkowski has it exactly right, although of course it is still Favre's decision to make. I noticed a lack of fire in Favre halfway through last season (starting with the Bengals game, to be exact), and that's when I thought 2005 should be his last season.

Favre's delayed decision, although it's his right, has put the team in an awkward position in the free agent market. If he was staying for sure, some players might love the chance to come here (or stay here) and play with Brett Favre, even if it was just for a season. And if Favre was leaving for sure, at least players would know that they would be joining a team that is building toward the future with a young QB and a lot of young players.

This in-between stuff is damaging because who wants to join a team that doesn't have an identity?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre is as smart as we all think, he'll pull the plug now. He owes the fans and GB absolutely nothing. And I would be the last guy here to think the "The Magic Man", didn't have the same fire that we credit to Favre, but every individual has some point in his life where starts thinking he no longer needs all this B.S. Personally I hope Brett tells the pack to shove it!
He certainly deserved better then what T.T. did for him last year, and for that reason alone I will never be a supporter of T.T. and his visionless plans for GB. The sooner T.T. hits the road the sooner I will celebrate.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
IPBprez says:

If he wasn't coming back, then why drag it out like this - it's RUDE

Stop acting like Javon and speak normal. Enough with the third person garbage! :p

Interesting article.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Even if TT let all the good players sign with another team and we only sign minimum wage "bargains".

F@ck it if I was brett I will tell TT to take his close wallet up his @@@@@@ and I will retire...or PLEASE TRADE ME TO A TEAM THAT WANTS TO WIN RIGHT NOW !!!! regardless of who the GREAT GM IS, WELL I WONT EVEN BLAME BRETT IF HE GETS TRADED TO THE QUENNIES..

Yes I know Brett has a bigger sense of pride and honor than THE GREAT ALLMIGTLY TT THE GREATEST A~~HOLE ON EARTH HAS

you're drunk.

as for Brett, i think he's taken his last snap. :cry:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Majik is a good man but when he talks about the fire inside.....with all due respect, he really can't compare his fire with Favre's. I'm not sure anyone has ever had the fire inside as intense as Bretts.

DePack,

I'm glad I read your response above. I was thinking the exact same thing as I'm reading this thread. Yes Majik had a decent career in GB, but I think the fire in his belly looks like a tiny spark compared to the fire in #4's IMO...

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Majkowski speaks candidly about Favre

I have only one problem with this: the part of the equation that is missing. And that part is the same old crap year after year. Until Favre enters the other value of this equation, it's all just weak hypothesis. In layman's terms, just speculation! And this is how rumors get started---by persons dabbling in sensationalism, like Majkowski! He knows better that speculate about Favre, unless he eagerly wants to be viewed as just another Jerry Mahoney, sitting on the lap of Charlie McCarthy.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing Majik Man has that quite a few others don't - and that's a clear channel to Brett's ear. Not even the most famous of SportsWriters have that; not like Majik Man does. SO, his words do have more weight than you would think.

Sorry, Z2C - it's NOT speaking like Javon Walker to point out that this far into FA, Brett's still mum about his decision - it should have happened the week before FA began - it does put the team in an awkward position, whether you or anyone else likes it... doesn't matter - that's just how it is. The part that's puttin' the tail before the dog here is Brett's incredible celebrity - which by now the Packers should start throwin' over to the side.

Right now, I would go straight to the Press to deliver my message exactly the same way Brett did right after McCarthy stopped by (another somewhat rude move, btw).... and say it out loud --- "Well, Brett? What's your decision? We're ready to get this Season started! You need to speak up. We can't wait any longer!" And it should be McCarthy that does it! He's the Coach, TT can be there, but McCarthy should be the one.....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and I hope Brett says...

"Well..once you two guys get off your collective ***** and actually DO SOMETHING...and TT pry's his moth-eaten wallet out of his *** pocket with a crow-bar...then maybe I can let you know....but I'm not coming to a team that so far looks like it's going to post a WORSE RECORD THAN LAST YEAR..."

Trust is a two way street...my friend...It has to be earned...!!

(I think Brett Favre has earned a little more trust..(or should have) with the Packer faithful than TT or MM has....at least..amonst the grateful...and not the INGRATES!!!)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
and I hope Brett says...

"Well..once you two guys get off your collective ***** and actually DO SOMETHING...and TT pry's his moth-eaten wallet out of his *** pocket with a crow-bar...then maybe I can let you know....but I'm not coming to a team that so far looks like it's going to post a WORSE RECORD THAN LAST YEAR..."

Trust is a two way street...my friend...It has to be earned...!!

(I think Brett Favre has earned a little more trust..(or should have) with the Packer faithful than TT or MM has....at least..amonst the grateful...and not the INGRATES!!!)

Well said.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have my dates exact, but sometime this month the Packers owe Brett three million dollars as part of his contract. The date might have already passed, but some thought that would be a 'decision day' possibility.

The first mini-camp isn't until after the draft, so the Packers might just push back the payment(with Favre's permission) until after the draft.

The Packers don't need to know Favre's decision regarding returning before the draft, since they aren't in the market for a QB anyway, and they've already talked to Leinart and Young just in case. If Favre returns, Rodgers is #2. If he retires, he's #1. They only decisions after that are who will be backups, and there's a few out there in free agency, including Nall.

To me, it's academic anyway. If Brett returns or if he retires, this team lacks the overall talent to contend for the Super Bowl. I would consider this a great year if the Packers end up 8-8.

One scribe said what the Packers should do is not pay Favre the bonus, which would make him a free agent. He would have all the options available at that point, including playing for another team if he so wanted.

That makes the most sense. I think the Packers have cut him an enormous amount of slack, but Brett will have to make a decision, but to my way of thinking it won't matter for 2006.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i believe what majik said does have some merit. i have been a favre fan since he came to the packers but have been very concerned with his inability to make this decision. i think while he can physically continue throwing bullets for a few more seasons, maybe emotionally he just can't do it anymore. that is certainly understandable with everything going on in his personal life & especially after this past season. my feeling is that if MM isn't real concerned about brett making a decision NOW, then why should we be? just mho.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Sorry, Z2C - it's NOT speaking like Javon Walker to point out that this far into FA, Brett's still mum about his decision - it should have happened the week before FA began - it does put the team in an awkward position, whether you or anyone else likes it... doesn't matter - that's just how it is. The part that's puttin' the tail before the dog here is Brett's incredible celebrity - which by now the Packers should start throwin' over to the side.

C'mon you know I meant the third person junk lol

no apologies needed

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I don't have my dates exact, but sometime this month the Packers owe Brett three million dollars as part of his contract. The date might have already passed, but some thought that would be a 'decision day' possibility.

The first mini-camp isn't until after the draft, so the Packers might just push back the payment(with Favre's permission) until after the draft.

The Packers don't need to know Favre's decision regarding returning before the draft, since they aren't in the market for a QB anyway, and they've already talked to Leinart and Young just in case. If Favre returns, Rodgers is #2. If he retires, he's #1. They only decisions after that are who will be backups, and there's a few out there in free agency, including Nall.

To me, it's academic anyway. If Brett returns or if he retires, this team lacks the overall talent to contend for the Super Bowl. I would consider this a great year if the Packers end up 8-8.

One scribe said what the Packers should do is not pay Favre the bonus, which would make him a free agent. He would have all the options available at that point, including playing for another team if he so wanted.

That makes the most sense. I think the Packers have cut him an enormous amount of slack, but Brett will have to make a decision, but to my way of thinking it won't matter for 2006.

That DATE, Net, was March 12th, and it was 3 million - just write the damn check already!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts