1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Lovie Smith Officially The Worst Coach In Football?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by PackerfaninCarolina, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Is Lovie Smith The Worst Coach In Football?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +275
    Bringing this week's edition of coaching hot seats, one name that the NFL pundits are not going after hard enough is Lovie Smith. That man as far as I'm concerned is maybe the worst head coach in the NFL today. Now I don't care if he rode a team to a Superbowl almost 10 years ago. His offenses reaked up the joint, and he was routinely outcoached in big game after big game. And right now him being outcoached was on full display like a masterpiece classic that's going to be ingrained in the minds of both Redskins and Bucs fans alike.

I really don't know how you can defend him after the biggest collapse in Tampa Bay history, climaxing even the Monday night game in 2003 vs Indy. Now that one was bad for them as that was one of those season momentum turners that culminated in the defending champs missing the playoffs. But in this loss there was no Peyton Manning in his prime, or a loaded roster front to bottom or playoff-making coach in Tony Dungy, this was a Redskins team whose fans were growing disgruntled with Kirk Cousins, and Jay Gruden was just barely hanging on for his job security.

To get that badly outcoached by Jay Gruden in that game is just awful. Chuck Pagano may have his problems not living up to expectations in Indy and may even have a feud going on with the front office and his assistants, but even with that and Luck's struggles, the Colts are still atop their division and who knows what might happen should they back into the playoffs, and win a playoff game again. Bill O'Brien is taking some heat down in Houston for the atrociousness there, but there are so many other problems in that team's management it's hard to say that he's at the root of the problem. Caldwell's time in Detroit might be cut short but Stafford's decline mixed with a struggling defense now without Suh and Fairley isn't helping him.

But Lovie Smith is out of excuses for his incompetence. When you're QB in Winston plays as good a game as he did and offense does their job, and your defense, game management, and discipline issues are that bad and you get outcoached by Jay Gruden, you should not be coaching in this league. You just gotta wonder what possible excuse would the Bucs organization have to retain him?

2. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,932
    Sorry, I voted "No", because it said "Coach", I wasn't thinking head coach. I think that he has a good defensive mind and will someday only be thinking in the role of a Defensive Coordinator somewhere in the NFL. As far as a head coach, he had limited success in Chicago but I wouldn't call him the worst head coach ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,793
    Building 2 super bowl capable teams doesn't happen by accident.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275
  5. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    I to voted no. Lions have had worse HCs than Lovie Smith

6. Gutpunch77

Gutpunch77 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    Jim Caldwell. He wrecked Indianapolis and is doing a bang up job in Detroit. Guy is terrible!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. desertdog55

desertdog55 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +23
    Looks like it's not even close.

8. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275
    Going to have to partially disagree there, he had nothing to do with Peyton going down in Indy and had pretty much nothing to work with in 2011, his 2-14 year, nobody woulda gotten a winning season out of that roster and I mean nobody. His GM Bill Polian was not good at drafting defensive players and throughout the Dungy/Caldwell years, you should know that defense had some of the worst rankings, just managed to put their anomaly together in that run in 2006 to SB XLI.

This year, I don't know. Stafford just sucks and it's coming from nowhere. Now maybe he made a bad call in hiring Lombardi, who he just fired and now he's got this ... crazy Bob dude doing the job. But it's like they say you can only go as far as your QB. He'll probably never be a head coach again after this run, but I'd still take him over Lovie Smith. Least Caldwell doesn't get outcoached by Jay Gruden and stink up defenses at the rate that old Lovie does. Lovie Smith, probably the most overrated and worst coach of incompetence I've ever seen, and an utter do-nothing.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    We need a defensive coordinator.

10. Passepartout

Passepartout December 2016!

Ratings:
    +27
    I would say possibly Jim Caldwell of the Lions would be.

11. PackerfaninCarolina

Ratings:
    +275
    Well after tonight I take back a bit of my assertion here. I still think Lovie is a bad coach, but he did finally get an offensive coordinator that's going to help him look better it seems. But for now, it appears 4 coaches have officially jumped Lovie's hot seat in

1. Jay Gruden
    2. Jeff Fisher
    3. Mike McCoy
    4. Rex Ryan