Is it just me ?

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I rarely watch an NFL game live, that includes the Packers. With the aid of a DVR, I can start watching about an hour after kickoff, skip through all commercials and usually not catch up to live action until the game is just ending. Now the trick of this, especially when it comes to Packer games and not wanting to know anything at all about the game, is to shut off ALL forms of outside contact LOL

I do the same with shows like Survivor and America's Got Talent, if it isn't on NetFlix, I do whatever I can to not have to watch commercials.

Someday, I think advertisers are going to realize that their messages are not being seen nearly as much as they once were and sporting events may have to end up going to pay per view. Not sure how much I would pay to watch a Packer game, how much would you pay?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Have to admit that if Packers games became "Pay Per" ... I wouldn't pay....

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I would, but probably not more than $20/game.

I bought into the gamepass for about four years, but unfortunately every time the game was covered by SKY, the game got blacked out so I didn`t get to see it live. I felt ripped off and refused to sign up again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not pay 300 bucks a year to watch packer games i'm not going to. anyway, it will be a balance going forward that's for sure. Make it too exclusive and the viewership goes down. Viewership goes down, prices will go up for those still watching. This will last a while till it becomes apparent that parents and grandparents aren't bringing their kids up with a love for a sport they no longer watch. Less participants, less future viewers and buyers of merchandise. even in viewership, it's a game of replacement as generations are replaced. gotta be careful they don't depend too much on the population that just goes along with what's popular for the moment, because they can cause massive growth, and massive crashes as soon as their interest goes elsewhere.

Sky King

Reaction score
Live, per game weekend:
Airfare, per person $250
Car rental, plus misc. 150
Motel 250
Meals, per person 150
Tx broker, per person 150
Pro-Shop, etc. 150
Total :confused:

DirecTV $258 annually (Packer games are often on network TV even for out-of-State fans, so not all games would really be needed via DirecTV although it's a flat fee for the entire regular season. Playoff games are not a part of the package.)

For pay-per-view I would consider anything less-than $20 per game to be acceptable under my circumstance of residing a great distance out-of-State. I would only view select Packer games and would only watch playoff games that involve the Packers. If the a la carte cost, per game, were to exceed $20-25 then I would probably spend my weekends doing something else.

Sky King

Reaction score
I would not pay 300 bucks a year to watch packer games i'm not going to. anyway, it will be a balance going forward that's for sure. Make it too exclusive and the viewership goes down. Viewership goes down, prices will go up for those still watching. This will last a while till it becomes apparent that parents and grandparents aren't bringing their kids up with a love for a sport they no longer watch. Less participants, less future viewers and buyers of merchandise. even in viewership, it's a game of replacement as generations are replaced. gotta be careful they don't depend too much on the population that just goes along with what's popular for the moment, because they can cause massive growth, and massive crashes as soon as their interest goes elsewhere.
The NASCAR problem on steroids.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Totally agree with the dilemma that the NFL would face if some day their TV revenues don't exceed their budgetary needs. Football has pretty much been a "free" source of entertainment for anyone and everyone who decides to tune in on the radio or TV. However, as it has become more and more commercialized it has turned some away. Others like myself, choose to "tune out the commercials". There may come a point where advertisers decide they are paying too much, ad revenues go down, Networks in turn will pay the NFL less for the rights and so on and so forth....until one day, maybe some of these guys aren't making $1 million + to step on the field each Sunday to play a game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I read somewhere during the week that NFL is doing just THAT this weekend (if this is Week 16..I can't keep that stuff straight). I don't remember the specifics but ostensibly during week 16 they were going to cut back on the commercials during the game ... I believe that "TV timeouts" are going to be shelved for one week.

So, if you notice a difference make sure that you go everywhere you can to talk this notion up BIG TIME... yeah, it was in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/s...ngs-shorter-games-fewer-commercials.html?_r=0
That would explain what I thought was a weird moment during the Sat night game. They split the screen and showed the sidelines during a change of possession and showed a PSA type commercial (I think) in the other half. My son also mentioned the first half of the Packers game flew by. Especially for the number of passes. Granted they were mostly caught by both sides.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think that's the least he can do after all the good thing you've done for him ... starting with bringing him into this world. I love the fact my son, after repeated reminders of this fact, foots the bill on Netflix and Hulu from his own house. :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that's the least he can do after all the good thing you've done for him ... starting with bringing him into this world. I love the fact my son, after repeated reminders of this fact, foots the bill on Netflix and Hulu from his own house. :)
My second son, still in school a few months, sponsors Hulu. My wife does Amazon Prime. We shared that with my brother who then shared Netflix for a while until both his kids went off to school.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or has there been a noticeable absence of visitors to the forum this season spoiling for an argument ??. It`s been great, but also a bit earie too.
When things are rolling like they have been trolls typically hibernate in GMa's basement. If we'd have kept losing this place would be overrun with them. I'm thankful on many fronts with the troll situation being near the top.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And then when it's prime posting time stateside, he's sleeping. Dang Brits, always on their own schedule. Think the sun never sets on their empire.

He'll see it before long, but he may be off to work and not able to respond. So that gives me a chance to get my yucks in a while. ;)

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Gentlemen ? Have a nice day.

Latest posts