1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by TheKanataThrilla, Feb 12, 2008.

1. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Or does professional basketball suck compared to college? There is no other sport that I can think of where the college game with their inferior athletes have a more enjoyable game than the pros. Seriously, I went out to a bar last night to leave my girlfriend to her studying and decided to catch some of the Spurs vs. Raptors game on tv and I just really couldn't stand how the game appears to have gone downhill. It is just boring. Maybe it was just the two teams playing, but still, college even though it allows zone defence I find is way more exciting.

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    100 % agreed, I would go out of my way not to have to watch an NBA game, seriously. The game of college basketball has its flaws with kids being able to jump after one year and other things, but the overall game still appears to be pure.

Unlike the NBA, where defense and strategy is a joke and star power sways the calls within the game. Fixed or not.. the NBA game is going downhill faster than the Jamican bobsled team dipping in oil.

3. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    that's because college basketball is still a team sport. the NBA is usually a one-man show. i don't watch basketball.

4. BadlandsViking

BadlandsViking Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    College is fun to watch because the NBA is full of a bunch of hoodlums

5. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a Suns fan - and I enjoy there fast-paced team oriented style of play. The best player on their team is known for ASSISTS not points, or dunks. He makes others better...which is how it should be played.

I remember being impressed when the Pats were not individually introduced for the Super Bowl a few years back.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    hope you're not too in love with that "fast-paced team oriented style of play", because with Shaquille in town, your run-n-gun is going to grind to a hobble-n-gun before faster than you can say "Kazaam"!

7. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Shaq won't make a difference there, bad or good.

I don't mind the NBA. The NCAA is just as flawed as the NBA, so it doesn't matter to me. I don't buy the whole "NBA is full of thugs" thing as a reason not to watch it. All of those "thugs" played in the NCAA too, and I doubt they all of a sudden became "thugs" as soon as they got drafted. The main difference is the money, but egos are just as much a problem in the NCAA as in the NBA.

8. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I would love to see UCLA play an NBA TEAM at UCLA with NCAA Refs calling the game.

With NCAA Ref's calling the game the way they do in the NCAA.... The NBA Team would lose because they would turn the ball over 67 % of the time for "Traveling."

The NBA is show time. It is not basketball.

The NCAA... Is basketball, as it was meant to be played. I will take the love of the game by a Jr. at Gonzaga, over the love of the money by a 3 year NBA Vet. I will take "March Madness" over the NBA Playoffs all day long. I will take college cheerleaders and a school band sitting court side at Pauly Pavilion over movie stars and Corp Executives sitting court side in the N.B.A.

But I may be an idiot. Because I will still rather listen to Aaron Neville over Rap Music, and that may make me out of touch.

9. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As he said..."someone has to start the break. my job is to get the rebound and find Steve"

10. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I can't comment on the thug thing as when I started watching basketball I was a Pistons fan during the "Bad Boys" era. Even then though they had amazing playmakers and the league just seemed different. Then again we had Thomas, Magic, Bird, and Jordan in the league at the time. I guess I find the stars in the league not much to my liking other than Nash and I mostly like him because he is Canadian as there really isn't much difference in his skills than say a Stockton of the past who was never a MVP.

RP brought up the gold when he mentions March Madness. That is when it really hits the big time. I watched a bit of the NBA playoffs last year to catch the Suns and the Pistons, but I never made much of an effort. When it comes to March Madness I take days off work or hit the bar after work to catch the games. Much different mentality.

11. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    The only thing better than March Madness is watching the Packers play. I always take Thursday and Friday off work for the first weekend of games. My two favorite teams, Missouri St. and UTEP, rarely make it to the tournament. But when they do, its just that much better.
    BTW, you can watch ALL of the NCAA tournament games online for free. Just sign up here. http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod
    If you have a cbssportsline ID, you are already signed up.

12. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    not a fan but it sounds like nba is losing fans

13. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the link. Too bad it is firewalled at work, but that is probably a good thing. :-?

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    College is a lot more exciting. Less drama, more basketball. :cool:

15. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    No problem. The games are "on demand" also. So if you miss a game, you can watch the replay of it.

16. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    most of these critiques are coming from people who don't watch NBA games, and thats just silly.

theres plenty of excitement in this sport. if you're more into fundamental basketball there are a plethora of players in the league that would accomodate you. if you're into fast paced running teams, they have that. if you're into high flying showmanship, they have that too.

and no, UCLA would not even compete against the worst NBA team in the league. NCAA refs or not. thats laughable. they would get destroyed, badly.

17. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    actually, gimme a GREAT varsity high school basketball game & i'm happy! those kids are scrappers & play with heart ALL the time!

18. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    But if they are basketball fans what turned them away? I used to watch NBA games all the time, but the league has become boring to me other than seeing the Suns.

19. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    NCAA is fun because of lack of talent.

NBA is hard to watch because everyone is pretty good(obviously some are a step above).

I like the NBA game for the most part, but the refs kill it. Absolutely kill it.

20. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the NCAA because NBA has too much "stoppage." Plus, the drama. I can't stand to see all the NBA players exaggerate their falling down. They're starting to look like soccer players.

21. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    thats completely valid. the league has done a number of things to turn away loyal fans, but don't comment on today's NBA if you stopped watching 15 years ago, ya know?

thats why i don't have an opinion on the CFL, because if i did it would be pretty damn ignorant.

22. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I'll catch a Buck's game here and there.. but I say it again, the league has went south when they started to focus more on individuals than the overall team. I am not just talking marketing, but on the court favoritism as well.

Now, don't get me wrong there are exceptions or players I enjoy watching play the game, but overall not even close to the college game. Just the game and the play itself. IMO.

23. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    for sure, but thats been going on for 30+ years now man. ;)

as for college b-ball, so many NCAA games come down to the wire. excitement like that is good for any sport. that, and the whole tournament aspect is great.

24. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    You should check out the CFL. It is quite different. Honestly I was a die-hard CFL fan growing up. I only started watching the NFL regularly in 1993. If you are a fan of the QB position it is a great league because it is a throwers league. Many Canadians recognize the inferior talent of the CFL, but because of the differences in the rules, many enjoy it more than the NFL. Of course it is one of the only professional sports that is family-friendly as ticket prices are affordable, which certainly helps maintain interest as true fans can see the games with their children.

25. joym13

joym13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's the lack of defense that makes the NBA boring. I love watching NCAA basketball during the tournement. Much more exciting!