1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

"Is It Harder to Grow Up Male or Female in America?"

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Zero2Cool, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

This is my assignment for the week, as well as discussion forum 'argument'.

O SNAP!

2. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dude, totally girls. Come on. Was your life that hard?

3. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously I wouldn't know, but in general, put a girl and a boy in the same household and life's probably tougher for the girl.

EDIT: Zero deleted the post I replied to

4. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Where did that come from? I didn't state my opinion on either or. I jus said that's my assignment.

About my life being hard, you wouldn't believe me if I told you, just ask 4packgirl, besides everything my life that others see as 'hard', its on my shoulders. I caused my life to be how it is.

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    things are hard for me right now. ill take care of that in a couple minutes.

6. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    SWITCH HIT!!!!

7. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be serious. In my opinion, it is harder to grow up female.

1) The effects of patriarchal values still persist in America. There is more equality, but not completely. Women tend to be discriminated in more prominent jobs due to factors such as the risk of pregnancy and the subsequent maternity leave.

2) Females are more restricted within many cultures/religions within America. For example, Judaism and Islam often place a high number of restrictions on the females as they grow up. One example would be to limit the interaction with other female friends outside of school by refusing to let the females out while the males would be given more lineancy in this regard. The females themselves state that they'd feel discriminated based on sex within their own homes. (This was talked about in a journal article I used in an assignment, so I can provide you the citation if you'd like to use it)

3) Women themselves are seen as weak and vulnurable. Something to best illustrate this is the rape of women. The systemic belief that females "bring on the rape themselves" and "eventually relax and enjoy it" are classic examples of the judicial line of thinking. In courts, women are portrayed as liers, unstable, manipulative bitches. The onus is placed on women to prove they are "just" women, while the females that say they have been raped have their sexual history examined up/down/sideways/backwards, are portrayed as whores, and thought of as lying only to fulfill their desires of getting attention. You also have policing practices that classify "real rapes" and "real victims", which are basically beliefs help by law enforcement that a real victim is one in which the female contributed in no way to her getting raped, and a real rape is one that occurs at the hands of a male unknown tot he rape victim. (There is a journal article on this that I used for an assignment, I can provide a citation if you'd like here too)

Just some examples to support my position.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I personally don't think it's "male or female" as much as it is if you are "attractive" or not. If you are overweight, people automatically label you as lazy. If you are pretty, you will get more breaks then if you are deemed as average or unattractive.
    For an example......at my wife's work, there are a couple women that wiggle their butts, and the men fall all over them doing their work for them.
    In today's world, all a woman has to do is yell "discrimination" if she is passed over for a job or promotion that a man ends up getting, and she will have the company for the most part on their knees.
    Of course, alot depends on what kind of home you grow up in also. Is it a loving home, or abusive? That can destroy anyone, whether you are male or female.

9. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Read "The War Against Boys" by Christina Hoff Summers (I hope I spelled her name right) and you guys may change your tune about what is currently like to grow up as a boy in America (and I mean grow up not be).

10. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed TOP. Look at college admissions and advanced degrees....girls rule the day! As they now and will in the future advanced careers. Schools no longer allow "competitive learning", where boys learn best, because of the overhyped notion that self esteem is a birthright, rather than earned through achievement. Fidget and act like a boy would in any other generation, Ritalin time! Nothing like ******* up a developing mind (brain) with psychotropic drugs...and then wonder about how they are so messed up in their teens. Geez...sometimes 2 + 2 does equal 4.

Divorce and child custody......sucks to be a guy! You can be drug addled and a risk to the children, but if you possess the birth canal from whence they came...they are yours!

I am all for equality for the genders based on individual merit. However, in today's world, boys are shortchanged from birth because it is no longer politically correct to acknowledge the inherent differences in the genders, and subsequently behaviors and learning styles.

The assault on young boys is now institutional....a part of our high-minded culture.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah Digs.....it STILL amazes me how quickly they jump on the Ritalin wagon (which in many cases is just because they are to lazy to deal with the kid) then on the other hand they preach to the kids "SAY NO TO DRUGS!"
    Yes, some kids might need professional help. But my opinion is that they jump too quickly to drug them up.
    But it IS typical of the "politically correct" crowd of today. They over compensate on everything, in order to try to somehow make up for past transgressions. So we end up with severe reverse discrimination on just about everything.
    Whether it's sex, or color of your skin.
    All it accomplishes in the end is more pain and hate. It doesn't change history.

12. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    OMG, TO. I just looked at the comments written about that book in Amazon and I think I'm going to buy it.

13. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    oh my goodness - such thought provoking posts - now the female perspective - well, at least THIS female's perspective...

women are groomed from the time we are little girls to be prim, proper, respectful, & do the right thing. (at least I was) god forbid that we should have any sort of sexual needs because then we are called sluts. if a girl got pregnant when i was a teenager, she was a bad girl but the guy with the sperm was deemed some sort of stud.

on the other side of the coin, men have to take care of women. they have to work to provide for their families, no matter what. they have to be the strength for just about any female they come in contact with.

i still say it's a man's world. yes, we women have our ways of getting things from men - cuz you're MEN!! but, at the end of the day, if i had to flirt my way into every job promotion i ever got - i'd be a sad chickadee.

now all of that being said, i am very happy i have twin SONS to raise - i was a major pain in the azz growing up!! :D

14. Mackie2001

Mackie2001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Getting past the growing up part...

Expectations have been raised for women. Not only are they supposed women, they also are supposed to be little men. Women have the traditional skills of a woman and also the skills of a man.

Men have had to back down on the macho stuff because of political correctness. Because the roles of women has increased, the demands on men have decreased.

The toughest job in the world is that of a single mom. I don't know how they do it. They all seem to be great at multi-tasking. Men can't even carry out the garbage without being harped on and whining about it.

For a woman, family is everything. All her efforts, directly and indirectly are for the family. For a man, it's Packers, beer, God, beer, country, beer and family. Did I mention beer?

A woman will defer to the needs of others. Men are the center of their universe.

What the world needs more of is power for its women. It would be a better place to live. That would make it a lot easier to be a man, not that it's so tough now. As a matter of fact, It's great to be a man.

Pass the beer.

15. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Females: We grow up thinking we have to take care of a man, not financially but in other ways. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, making out the bills, working full time, taking care of the kids, running errands, going to the bank, giving man sex everytime he wants it, just writing this all down I am pooped thinking about it. And oh yes having their husbands kids, getting fat for 9 months, then the pain of having the child/childs. And there are probably lots more we do that I cant even think about.

Cheesy is right, woman that are beautiful tend to get promoted even though they didnt work hard to get the new job. This is so wrong, I have done things the right way in the job market I have worked my tail off, not saying I couldnt have shook my butt or worn clothes with my boobies falling out. To me this is NOT the right way to be percieved as a woman.

Men: They do have the prospective to take care of a woman, woman rely on their men to make them feel secure and feel safe. Men are suppose to be strong and never cry. (Personally I love a man that can cry) Then usually when a man gets divorced the children usually go to the woman and the man has to pay child support and woman really work that to their advantage. Some woman shouldnt even have kids IMO...

Times have changed drastically, where the man and woman both work full time and if a woman is lucky to have married a good man, he will help with chores around the house and just help her in general. I have been lucky in that category my hubby does help me a great deal for that I am thankful. I have a special special man in my life. Thanks Edder!! Caues if I didnt have that help I dont think I could do it all, or should say my house wouldnt be clean and we would be wearing dirty undies...lol..

Today the first question a woman should again say some woman ask before they even consider a date with a man. What kind of car do they drive? Do they own a house? What kind of a job do they have? Yes you have to have money to survive but mostly all these things are just that "things". NOthing can replace love or happiness. If you dont have these two things no money in the world is going to make you happy.

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My Mom taught me how to cook when i was young. She told me that you never know when you will need to know these types of things. As it turned out, i'm disabled and my wife goes off to work every day. I do the wash, clean, cook and so on. (I'll make someone a good wife some day!LOL!) I catch crap from some people, but i don't care. To me, theres no such thing as "mans work" or "woman work." If you want to be happy, you have to work together.
    I have a soft side, and am not afraid to cry. I'm also not afraid to kick some boo-tey when necessary. Although people rarely see that side of me. I don't use it unless absolutely necessary.

17. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    It has more to do with money than gender.

Life is a breeze if you live in the upper economic echelons of society.

If you don't agree with that assessment, then sell everything you have, live in your car, get free meals(when you can) and then have someone tell you you don't work hard enough.

That happens to both genders and is far more difficult than the crap posted above.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know about that. Then how come we always see rich people in places like "The Betty Ford Clinic", or read about their suicides?
    And trust me........i live week to week. I'm in the lower middle class, just trying to get by. Can't afford my own home, my car is at the shop right now and it might take every penny we have to fix it. (Maybe even more then we have). Like i always tell my wife.......we are too rich to be poor, and too poor to be rich. We don't starve, we arn't out on the streets, but one big mishap and we're screwed.
    Money doesn't solve ALL problems. Although it makes people with no skills famous, like Paris Hilton.

19. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Some rich people get divorced over and over again they get bored so they move on to the next person...and these people do have all the money in the world are they happy? Nope,,money does not buy love or happiness..

20. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Anna Nicole Smith were still alive, she would strongly disagree with this statement.

21. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Zero's professor's instructions are clear.

Using information from the articles you read this week, as well as outside resources, write an essay explaining which gender faces the greater and more daunting challenges, and why. Will this situation grow worse? Offer suggestions to help ease the gender-related challenges children face growing up in today's culture.

The biggest mistake one can make in a class is "Not To Follow The Core Instructions Of The Assignment."

The key phrase here being "From Articles you read THIS WEEK." Not from the past, or your childhood.

The greatest lesson in life that teachers are really trying to teach you is first of all to follow instructions.

Zero,

When were you assigned this, and when is this paper due? I want to take a stab at this, just for for fun. I will PM you my paper after you submitted yours.

I love this stuff.

Raider Pride.

Man oh man.... I love a challenge like that. Zero what is the date that your paper is due?

22. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Well Anna Nicole Smith didnt have all her marbles to begin with...IMO the only reason she married or dated really old men was because of their money, it wasnt love or happiness..she just saw dollar signs...I could never marry someone just cause hes rich..not long ago at my job a rich guy pulls up in a Mercedes comes in to pay his rent and starts talking to me. He then said "how about marrying me"? "You wouldnt ever have to work another day in your life"..my response was, but I am married and you have to have love to make it work. He said "no you dont".. I said "find someone else"..lol..I work in a very high high class of town lots of men coming in with Mercedes, BMW's..woman come in wearing huge diamonds rings and expensive perfume...but to tell you the truth, all I ever wanted in my life was to find that special someone to love me for who I was, and I did just that and I am happy.

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup.....when a woman in her 30's marrys a guy in his 80's, theres a pretty good chance it's for money. Maybe she thought she could buy some NEW marbles to replace the ones she lost! :rotflmao:

24. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    ROFL Cheesy...you got that one right..

25. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

lol its due tomorrow at 10:59PM CST

why not send YOUR paper before you get mine? :p