Is DuJuan Harris our 2013 starting RB???

Is DuJuan Harris our 2013 starting RB?

• Yes

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who starts. Will Harris contribute? -Absolutely.

BTW, fun rushing fact: The four remaining teams in the playoffs are in the top 11 rushing teams in the league. The Patriots are #2 in the league in rushing attempts. The Packers need a running threat to take some pressure off of Rodgers. A running game would spread defenses and make the play action more effective. The run game has to get better in 2013.

Interesting fact for all those that said the running game was no longer important in today's NFL. Or will they still point to single rusher statistics in support of the proposition that elite teams don't need to be able to run the ball?

The problems with the ground game go much deeper than simply finding a back. Hopefully some of our offensive linemen and tight ends get healthy and contribute next year. Our scheme needs some updating and the coaching staff has to commit to the run. Sustained drives (4-5 first downs) should be the goal. It's the passing game that usually spreads the defense and it's the running game that should punish defenses for being too spread out. Conversely, our ground game must be consistent enough to suck in defenses and open up the play-action outside/deep.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who starts. Will Harris contribute? -Absolutely.

Interesting fact for all those that said the running game was no longer important in today's NFL. Or will they still point to single rusher statistics in support of the proposition that elite teams don't need to be able to run the ball?

The problems with the ground game go much deeper than simply finding a back. Hopefully some of our offensive linemen and tight ends get healthy and contribute next year. Our scheme needs some updating and the coaching staff has to commit to the run. Sustained drives (4-5 first downs) should be the goal. It's the passing game that usually spreads the defense and it's the running game that should punish defenses for being too spread out. Conversely, our ground game must be consistent enough to suck in defenses and open up the play-action outside/deep.

Could not agree more... A solid ground game would take the load off of Rodger's shoulders. I would love to see the Packers be able to pick up a two yards on a 3rd-and-1 rush instead of going five wide with an empty backfield.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You definitely need some good blocking out of the O-line AND a committed and competent TE to make a good running back. Sure AP and Barry Sanders make yards out of nothing, but you can't expect a team to find that kind of running back every day. My hope is that if Finley is let go, one of the other tight ends becomes more of a factor in the running game to open up more holes.

That said, DuJuan Harris will be fighting for a spot in the rotation. I don't see our talent at RB improving much unless TT goes for an uncharacteristic blockbuster draft day move to grab a top talent.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, fun rushing fact: The four remaining teams in the playoffs are in the top 11 rushing teams in the league. The Patriots are #2 in the league in rushing attempts. The Packers need a running threat to take some pressure off of Rodgers. A running game would spread defenses and make the play action more effective. The run game has to get better in 2013.

Last year, NYG and NE were in the bottom-7 or so in rushing in the league. This year worked out differently, but I don't think the running game is nearly as important as it used to be. It's a passing league. Still, it'd be nice to have a threat of a running game to help the play-action game, which was obsolete this season.

As for our RBs next season, I hope DuJuan is the starter and I am so hopeful that TT takes a flyer on Marcus Lattimore. He'd be an unreal pick-up and is only available because of his injury history. I know it's not great, but the guy is special and can overcome those injuries.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, NYG and NE were in the bottom-7 or so in rushing in the league. This year worked out differently, but I don't think the running game is nearly as important as it used to be. It's a passing league. Still, it'd be nice to have a threat of a running game to help the play-action game, which was obsolete this season.

As for our RBs next season, I hope DuJuan is the starter and I am so hopeful that TT takes a flyer on Marcus Lattimore. He'd be an unreal pick-up and is only available because of his injury history. I know it's not great, but the guy is special and can overcome those injuries.

The running game is needed to keep teams from rushing four and playing coverage... With that being said, Lattimore is going to be a high risk-high reward player. If he stays healthy, he'll be a steal.

M

mayo44

The running game is needed to keep teams from rushing four and playing coverage... With that being said, Lattimore is going to be a high risk-high reward player. If he stays healthy, he'll be a steal.

That's a monster IF you're talking about there. He's had both knees blown up, a hip and a hammy and that's just in college.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a monster IF you're talking about there. He's had both knees blown up, a hip and a hammy and that's just in college.
But remember, he was tearing it up last year before his latest injury. He's proven the ability to come back from one terrible knee injury. Obviously, it's a huge risk; but, man, if he returns to form, it'd be a huge get!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love love Lattimore.... and I will forever be haunted by his grotesque injury this season.
But there's no more high-reward possible with the way his knees, body has been mangled. Poor guy. I wish he could sue the guy who hit him.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shame to see what's happened to Lattimore during his indentured service (i.e., college). He won me over when he mentioned admiring Ron Dayne, but I would be very hesitant to risk selecting him before the fourth round. Those knee injuries make me nervous and guys like Peterson and McGahee are the exceptions, not the rule.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Seen a few drafts having us drafting Eddie Lacy in the second round. Wouldn't be against that.

I think the first round is going to be interesting. There are so many holes we have and thus many different directions we could go. ILB, OT, DE.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris is the best we have had since Ahman Green in a good year as far as I am concerned. I liked Starks in that he got tough yards, but Harris gets tough yards and has some great moves. Great instincts.

M

mayo44

Harris is the best we have had since Ahman Green in a good year as far as I am concerned. I liked Starks in that he got tough yards, but Harris gets tough yards and has some great moves. Great instincts.

Is there another RB on our roster who would NOT have been tackled by the deep safety on this play? (Sorry, this was the only vid I could find of it. Maybe do it fullscreen if you can't see.)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

M

mayo44

Here's another reason I want to see Dujuan Harris succeed and become our starting RB for the future. It has nothing to do with his talent, although he clearly has it.

It has to do with Donald Driver. We all know DD is done in Green Bay. Part of what made DD special was that he was a small school guy who wasn't given much of a chance to succeed and he did it anyway. People identify with that. Harris is very similar in that regard. He's a small school guy who has been passed around the league for a year and never given a chance, until he cam here. While he doesn't seem to be as outgoing as DD is, he does give fans a new underdog to root for on the roster, and I think he can be outstanding.

Looking at his college highlights, he has some elusiveness that we simply haven't seen here since Green's first few seasons in GB. We've already seen it on the field here. And I think his size is fine. If Barry Sanders was one of the greatest RBs ever (depending on how you rate Jim Brown) then you could argue that his size is just perfect.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
It seems like we need a new strength and conditioning team. We've been dealing with a lot of injuries for the last few years. Like more than any other team. I don't know if it's because our players are just injury prone or its the strength and conditioning guys.
And also the D linemen r so much bigger and stronger, with the hits RB'S take its a wonder even 1 back can go an entire season,really surprise Frank Gore has no knee pads on Packers seem afraid to tackle him low...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we're on the verge of really having a duo in the backfield. I foresee us either bring Benson back cheap or possibly taking a flier on a RB in the draft..either way I think you'll see TT and MM attack the run game with a duo not a sole back. That said I do feel Harris is going to be given the chance to be the brunt of the run game....love to have a mildly used Benson in reserve, I mean the dude was doing great before his injury this season so who knows. Not too mention will also have Green or Starks (I think only one of the two are back) in deep reserve or 3rd down option in Green.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there another RB on our roster who would NOT have been tackled by the deep safety on this play? (Sorry, this was the only vid I could find of it. Maybe do it fullscreen if you can't see.)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Starks would have run right into the tackler, and fallen forward for 2 extra yards.
Grant would have had his eyes closed.
Kuhn would have not made it that far before the hole closed.
Alex Green would have done what Starks did..... only Harris would have made that play for a TD. Good call.

McCarthy bottled him up in the 2nd half though... nice job MM.

M

mayo44

Starks would have run right into the tackler, and fallen forward for 2 extra yards.
Grant would have had his eyes closed.
Kuhn would have not made it that far before the hole closed.
Alex Green would have done what Starks did..... only Harris would have made that play for a TD. Good call.

McCarthy bottled him up in the 2nd half though... nice job MM.

Actually, I'm not sure any of them would have made it past the linebackers after looking again. In this case, it was the ability to make a player miss without sacrificing forward momentum. It's one of those natural talents that can't really be taught. You either have it or you don't. Only one who could stop him was McCarthy. I wonder if any coaches or players said anything to him about it away from the cameras and microphones.

Members online

Latest posts