Is Brett REALLY the 1st player to have 3 MVPs...OR

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
HOF says Johhny won the mvp 3 times...Not player of the year, not offensive player, but MVP

I am confused

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wikipedia article:

"In 1959 Unitas was voted the AP Player of the Year and also the UPI player of the Year. (See: National Football League Most Valuable Player Award) The AP Award was considered the MVP award, adopting that verbiage in 1961. The Associated Press had always called the pre-1961 'Players of the Year"' their MVP until 2008, when it was revealed to them that they had made certain errors in their listings, namely that Jim Brown was the 1958 MVP/Player of the Year rather than Gino Marchetti and that Unitas was the true winner in 1959, not Y.A. Tittle. Rather than correct the winners, the AP "disavowed" that the pre-1961 winners were indeed "MVPs" claiming that it was a different award. Nonetheless, UPI also voted Unitas the top player award and there is little doubt that through sports history "MVP" and "Player of the Year" are terms that are interchangeable."

Johnny Unitas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technicality

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No offense but wikipedia is not something the NFL monitors?

The HOF I think would be the right thing to research...

I am still confused lol

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, but the sentiment that wikipedia is full of **** because anybody can write whatever they want on it is basically no longer an issue. It is used and scrutinized so carefully that the info on there, especially for high-profile stuff, is generally very accurate. Of course, I couldn't site Wikipedia if I was writing a scholarly paper on the issue, but for our purposes, this paragraph tells the story pretty well.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but the sentiment that wikipedia is full of **** because anybody can write whatever they want on it is basically no longer an issue. It is used and scrutinized so carefully that the info on there, especially for high-profile stuff, is generally very accurate. Of course, I couldn't site Wikipedia if I was writing a scholarly paper on the issue, but for our purposes, this paragraph tells the story pretty well.

O I know how it is moderated and how it is verified all the time..

Just was thinking that I would trust HOF for matters of awards for a player than Wik

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. Still, I trust that if this were incorrect, it would have been corrected. MVP is an AP award and according to this article, the AP, for whatever stupid reason, recognizes pre-1961 MVPs as a different thing than post-1961. Stupid technicality, but I do believe it is the answer to your question.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Again

CONFUSED LOL

HOF says mvp 3 times but we have always heard Brett was 1st..

Now wiki says the mvp really was player of the year cuz before 61 they didnt call it mvp

Maybe my mind is just cloudy from all the mri I have had lol

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've definitely had a rough go lately.... Basically, while you'd think that the HOF would be the authority on this one, it's actually the AP, since they're the ones who give out the award. Because of some stupid technical error way back when, the AP now doesn't recognize the pre-1961 MVPs as MVPs. They are the ones who decide, even though folks like us, and the HOF, can look back and say, "Come on, it's the same thing!" Unitas unofficially won 3 MVPs, but he didn't officially win 3.

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again they are the same, but Favre was officially the first 3-time winner of the "MVP". Johnny U was "Player of the Year" once and "MVP" twice or vice versa, can't remember("Player of the Year" twice and "MVP" once?)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre was the first player to win 3 STRAIGHT most valuable player awards. Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas were 3 time winners themselves but not in a row. At least thats how I look at it.

I find a ton of stuff wrong on wikipedia involving football so no, its not a legit source.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Again they are the same, but Favre was officially the first 3-time winner of the "MVP". Johnny U was "Player of the Year" once and "MVP" twice or vice versa, can't remember("Player of the Year" twice and "MVP" once?)

I get that

But why is the HOF stating 3 time MVP

thats my issue

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find a ton of stuff wrong on wikipedia involving football so no, its not a legit source.

Fair enough, but it's a moot point for this thread unless you are disputing that paragraph. Wikipedia can't be a watertight source since there are plenty of errors (even though they do a good job fixing them, imo), but just because it's on Wikipedia doesn't mean it can't be right. I think that's the situation here. I think it's right on this one.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, but it's a moot point for this thread unless you are disputing that paragraph. Wikipedia can't be a watertight source since there are plenty of errors (even though they do a good job fixing them, imo), but just because it's on Wikipedia doesn't mean it can't be right. I think that's the situation here. I think it's right on this one.

Well Wikipedia lists Unitas several different places as a 3X MVP...

Also if your disputing the hall of fame you should have something with an author. I'm not saying it's wrong I'm just saying I don't take things at face value.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Regardless of the semantics, as very good as Brett was, he was no Johnny Unitas in my opinion. The difference? Real leadership and football intelligence. Unitas was from the age when the QBs actually orchestrated most of the game by making their own calls, not just audibles. Unitas was a field General. Favre needed General Holmgren to keep the Lieutenant QB in line. Unitas was also an extremely upstanding citizen and gave a tremendous amount back to Baltimore after his football career was over.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully get your point..

When did they adjust it?

61, like bozz 2006 said in the first time:
http://www.packerforum.com/f8/brett-really-1st-player-have-3-mvps-29442.html#post365780

So, it's settled, right?

Brett Favre is technically the first 3 time MVP award winner, because Unitas won his first in 59, when it wasn't called MVP, but Player of the Year.

But since Player of the Year and MVP have the same value and are interchangeable, factually, Unitas was the first player to with the award 3 times.

Members online

Latest posts