Is Brett loosing his desire to play?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's fairly obvious that he has a different mentality out there. I think now that he's acknowledged that the season is cashed, he seems to be playing more carelessly, meaning sandlot/pick-up style football. It seems like he wants to go for broke more realizing that if he throws a pick or 2, and the team losses, well, who cares since the season is toast, and it's worth the chance that he could come up w/ some stellar plays.

The Bengals game is a classic example of this...esp the spike play...likely to work...no, but big deal, and if it did work, it'd be pretty exciting.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see him coming back after this season. He has had too much success as a player and with the team while having a lot of personal problems to deal with to hang on through a rebuilding period.
As a Bears fan it is a mixed emotion for me. I hate to see a truly great player finally walk away but Favre has killed our *** for a long time now and I won't miss that.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration, do you really believe that the Packers will not be markedly improved with their offensive players back next season, a great position in the draft, and another 8 games, plus preseason, with Jim Bates controlling the defence? The D has gone from absolute joke to top half of the league, with mostly the same personel. Throw in the offseason and some more new blood, and it really stands to reason that Brett Favre has every reason to come back next season.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't take much stock in this article, especially the headline. These guys have to put out artcles that will sell magazines and everyone is looking for something regarding Brett Favres future.
It has not been unusual for Brett to take days off especially later in the season. After all he is an "old" man in a young mans game.
As far as being lethargic, EVERYONE on the face of this earth has those days.
I think this is making a big deal over a normal situation.
Certainly this guy created a point for watercooler dicussion over the next couple of days.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
I don't take much stock in this article, especially the headline. These guys have to put out artcles that will sell magazines and everyone is looking for something regarding Brett Favres future.
It has not been unusual for Brett to take days off especially later in the season. After all he is an "old" man in a young mans game.
As far as being lethargic, EVERYONE on the face of this earth has those days.
I think this is making a big deal over a normal situation.
Certainly this guy created a point for watercooler dicussion over the next couple of days.

Agreed - especially since it "was" at the Head Coach's request......
Czabe tried to make it sound like he just didn't show up for work...
(Steve Czabe from First Team on FOX)
To me, that's just a bit like drinkin' the PC kool-aid...

Favre'll be fine.... what's more Bear's fans - I bet he'll be back next year, right along with Mike Sherman - no matter what I put to print, they're not banking on anything the fans might say...

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loose means not tied down.
Lose means something is lost.

This is Brett's last year, especially if Sherman is canned.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whoever says Brett Favre lost his desire to play. Does not know anything about Brett Favre. It will not happen ever!! even after he retires. His a "old throw back player" and a son of Football coach . By the way Ibprez--Your last comments in your posting coincide with this longtime Packer fan in DePere. Sherman and Favre in my opinion will be back in Green Bay for '06 season. I don't think the Ted Thompson will make a rash decison based on this one poor season out of the last 14 seasons. Ted will take in all the reasons for this poor performance of this team considering injuries to key players, loss of players due to salary cap considerations, and many inexperience players on roster. It is a wonder that this Packer team stays in each football game until the end each week!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look..people..

if you had to be QB on such a team where you are busting your *** week in and week out and feel like you are always running up hill and never getting anywhere...you would be a little frustrated and exasperated as well..

It's a hell of a thing...

Didya' ever hear the phrase.."pissing in the wind"...?

Well..i'm sure that's how Favre kind of feels about right now!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe this season will truly define Favre. If he retires he will unwittly be known as the guy who walked away after looking like a chump. No matter what Favre takes this team on his back. I do believe he will be back for atleast next year if not the year after that. Barring injury I dont feel that he wants to be known as the guy who led a losing team into his retirement. And as much as people make of him not playing for records I just want him to shove marinos records down that whinny *** ex qbs face.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Brett losing his desire to play?

Is the moon made out of cheese?

No, but both are cute ideas to play around with.

sunshine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Is Brett losing his desire to play?

Is the moon made out of cheese?

No, but both are cute ideas to play around with.

:yeah: :chest: well put, tromadz!!!!! :beer:

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a loaded question on this board and emotions about a great player are usually deep. I think he has lost some of his desire, the way he talks and the fire I see on the field. He is still a great competitor but I don't see the same Favre of a couple of years ago getting in Sapp's face. I think the game may be wearing on him a little bit.

I would say my guess is about 70% he will retire after this year. If Sherman goes about 85% Favre will retire. He would have to learn a whole new system and hear about how it is time to give Rogers a chance. You know every year there will be a growing percentage that will say it is time to start the new guy. Favre doesn't want to hear that, and he won't have a much better year next year unless you fix your O-line. They are not run blocking well and that leaves you one dimensional and Favre a sitting duck in the pocket.

No one plays forever and I like seeing players go out on top. Not washed up looking like an old fighter getting pummeled on the ropes (Muhammed Ali). One of my heros was Joe Namath, seeing him leave the game battered in a Rams uniform was disheartening, I think many of you who don't want Brett to retire are going to regret it when you see him like Broaway Joe!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you've got it about right, tarkenton. I agree that it is about 70% that Favre will retire after this season, but more than 85% if Sherman gets canned. (Which I don't think will happen anyway.) To play in the NFL, you have to be a maniac, and I'm not sure if Favre is a maniac anymore, at least not every single week and every single play, like he used to be. He's too sane. After 14 years, he's sick of getting clobbered by defensive linemen. And let's remember that he's been talking retirement for three years now. It seems to me that players seldom last for more than two or three years after they start the retirement talk.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Favre looks happy this year. Oh, he gets excited when the team makes a good play, which doesn't happen that often, but I watch the shots of him on the sidelines. He looks disgusted, ticked off, and disenchanted to me. I keep thinking this will be his last year, which is why I think we'd better have a QB in the wings; one who can really BE a QB. I can't blame him for looking disgruntled. He is used to winning. This must drive him crazy. Maybe my perception is wrong though. I'm just guessing, by the look on his face, at what he is feeling.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think he looks digruntled I think he looks embarrassed. Kinda like having to ride your sisters bike because your good one is broke.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enjoy every waking second this man is on the feild for a GAME. The memory is worth a Million Dollars in every PACKERS Fan's Pocket every time he comes back for a win no matter what the Record is! Sometimes you take the bad with the Good. The organization I believe will never give up on #4. Enjoy!

Go Pack GO!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It's just sometimes......you take the Bad with the good,

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, too, think he looks very unhappy. Of course, you really can't blame him. He is a fierce competitor, and he has no one to help him compete.

Members online

Latest posts