Is Bates gone?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, I copied this from an article on Pro Football Weekly's web site. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny moment last night. My friend Jason — a huge Packers fan for most of his life — was coming home last night from a work trip in Dallas, and I text messaged him the news in the following way: “Packers offer job to McCarthy.â€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT needs to sweet talk Bates..and in front of the media...and in a HURRY!

A raise is warranted..something along the lines that Greg Williams in Washington received..and it needs to be done with alot of PR around the league...

"We couldn't afford to let Jim go...we want him to be around...Can't afford to lose him...." blah..blah..blah....

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Pack66....I think the public pat on the back is even more important than the money at this stage. Bates is an old football guy who feels disrespected right now. If TT and MM can get him to stay then they would have done one helluva sales job!

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates is in a win-win situation here. He is already held in high regard by the majority of Packer fans. If he goes-no hard feelings. Anyone passed over for a job that they felt they deserved can relate. If he stays, he shows he is the bigger man. I for one feel he is important as part of the rebuilding equation. I also feel that Bates' time for a HC job has passed. This might have been his last shot and he knows it. After the emotion has subsided I think he comes back. Why start over somewhere else? (Unless it is a head coaching job, of course)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

A raise is warranted..something along the lines that Greg Williams in Washington received..and it needs to be done with alot of PR around the league...

"We couldn't afford to let Jim go...we want him to be around...Can't afford to lose him...." blah..blah..blah....

I agree 66, I just wonder why so many might be able to agree with doing these type of things for Bates who has been here one year but not for Brett ? makes me go hum.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is Beab is Bates probaly felt major disrespect by TT which honestly would not surprise me. I am not a conspiricy guy but TT seems to be a shrinking violet. He does not shine and has trouble articulating his vision. This does not bode well for the Pack. Hopefully McCarthy will be a strong leader. I also believe that if bates goes you will see singeltary come over from SF to take the DC slot. TT and McCarthy will have to do alot of things to make Packer Fans believe in the message. With TT's propensity for secrecy and inability to articualate I can say I am worried that the Organization has taken a turn which way only time will tell

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Buffalo HC job opening up today, I wouldn't be suprised to see him end up there. They're entering the coaching derby late, everyone else has pretty much interviewed everyone they wanted to, and now Bates is entering the picture late, too. Also, Buffalo would offer 2 things that he really liked about Green Bay(or so he thought) .. small market and HC.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT did personally inform Bates that he was out of consideration for the HC job prior to announcing that MM is the new HC:
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 5255.shtml

This story about TT pushing it off onto an underling via a phone call is bs.

Of course it is still obvious that Bates was passed over for a position he really wanted. At this point I believe that if he is offered a HC job anywhere, then he is gone. If he is only being persuaded to be a DC for another team, then we have a good chance to keep him in GB.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates wants to be a head coach, and if another team offered him a HC job he'd be gone. But I haven't heard any other team mention Bates as a candidate. At the moment it doesn't sound like he has anywhere to go to be a head coach if no one wants him as their HC. And he can't pack up and leave to be a defensive coordinator somewhere else because he is still under contract here.

Unless he resigns or can talk TT into letting him out of his contract, I would think he would be back if no other team wanted Bates as their head couch.

It's hard to say what Bates feels without hearing it from him. With so many rumors floating around, it's hard to say which are true or not.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I heard he has toned down his reteric and may be more open to stay with the Pack time will only tell TT has got to be straight up with him though

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a few quick questions, did Bates ever say publicly that he in fact wants to be a HC?? or is this speculation again?? i'd think if he made it known that he was interested in being a HC, more teams would have had him on their list of interviewees - did any other teams even consider him??

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bates is a great coach and was disappointed when TT didn't pick him. At age 59 if it hasn't happened for him already, it probably isn't going to happen. GB will let him go if he wants out, but is there a better situaion for him if the hc job doesn't materialize?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Shazam! Brilliant insight!

It is obvious you understand the number one rule in leading people, building people, and developing people is to "Praise in public and criticize in private." And the ratio should always be five to one.

However! And this is the big HOWEVER... If Bates after one year of success feels he has been dished and is going to walk then that is a damn good thing! Show him the door, thank him, wish him well and thank your lucky stars he never took that bitterness into the 2006-2007 season.

If Bates is head coach material he will show the traits of a champion, and champions do not blame people, circusmstances, or events. Champions do not wish things were easier they choose to make themself better.

The best thing that Bates could do for his future career goals to be an NFL head coach is prove he is not a quitter. To prove to all the eyes in the N.F.L. that are watching him now that he is a man who made a commitment to the Packers as a D.C. and the Packers are still the organization he made that commitment to regardless of the fact Mike Sherman is now no longer part of that picture.

Now if MM decides to bring in his own people... that is a very different situation.

Bates and TT need to make it public. Take the message to the masses.

TT should as you say 66, let him know he is loved, wanted and respected. However, Bates needs to also take the message to the masses and say "I took on a task and responsibility to make the Packers D the best it can be and I am going to do that becuase that is what this organization is paying me for regardless of who is the head coach. My commitment is to the fans and players of this storied organization, and I am willing to make it work with our new head coach becuase I am behind him 100%

RP

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Greg Williams was given the new contract because he was told once Gibbs retires the redskins HC job is his. That deal won't work for Bates. The cash aspect if thats what you are implying SOLEY on, I have to agree completely. He does deserve a heckuva raise. Wish we would have given him the last of our cap that we just left for nothing.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl - Bates has spoken out loud about wanting to be a Head Coach...

Also - it was mentioned by the Packers, that a couple of teams have called to discuss speaking with Bates about that very subject - but since no actual interviews were ever scheduled (so far) - then the Packers felt it un-necessary, to stir the pot and say who those teams might be....

I get no ESP on this one, guys -- Bates could be gone tomorrow - or - McCarthy might just talk him into staying - we won't know, til it happens... same way with Brett - it's all in flux right now...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard that Bates actually refused to schedule interviews until after he met with the Packers because this was the job he wanted and it was the job he expected to get (and the one a lot of NFL executives expected him to get). I'd imagine he'd get a few interviews now that he's been passed over for the Packers' job.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Bates has been logging on to this Packer forum every night and three times during the day.

Perhaps Bates, and by his logging on here, and reading his praise by so many here on this forum he had the illusion that he he was a lock for being the 14th Head Caoch of the Green Bay Packers?

Yes that is it. Yes that is it. That is the ticket!

This forum, and the "LOVE" Bates was getting here on this forum as a potential head coach may be the reason he feels so let down by the Packers. and that he feels he needed to move on to a new team because of the fact the Packerforum.com convinced him. that he, at the age of 59 could do it..

LOL.... I am joking here..... BUT.... As silly as it may sound would it not be funny be to see(Three years from now.) When Bates is doing an interview as a Super Bowl Champion Head Coach and he say's... "I want to thank Packerforum.com for giving me the courage and confidence to convince me that I can do the job in the NFL as a head coach."

I can just see Bates right now... Holding up the Vince L. Trophy as he hugs Ryan, and Ryan is wearing a Packer Jersey. Ryan is saying; "We all were behind you big dog." At that very moment... TT is watching Ryan and Bates on E.S.P.N while TT sit's in his office at Budget Rent A Car's head office where he has taken the position of "Director of Operations" for the North East Region.

T.T. then looks off in the distance and say's .... Damn, if I would have only logged on to packerforum.com

OK Lighten up.

I am just kidding.

R.P.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Bates and his defensive assistants (except for Jon Baker, defensive Safety coach, who was fired) are still coaches for the Green Bay Packers. They will all have meetings with new Packer head Coach Mike McCarty concerning their employment status. I imagine a meeting with Jim Bates and the new coach will take place first. As of Friday, it has not taken place yet. If Jim Bates decides to remain as Packer DC, I would think some or all of defensive Assistants will stay here in GB. -- And now my thoughts on Ted Thompson. Just because Thompson is a quiet man and is not a accomplished speaker at Media press conference, tells nothing about the Ted Thompson skills as a General Manager for the Green Bay Packers. Actions speak louder than words to the media. at a press conference. From press reports I read, which said Ted did well at Thursday's Press conference. He looked more relaxed than usual and didn't lose his composure when the Cell phone rang during his speech and he kept talking without "missing a beat ." I missed the Press conference.
It is too early to tell if Thompson's actions of the past 12 months will translate to winning results. As of now, I like what I see. I have met some people who can talk a good game, but don't back it up. As the old saying goes: "talk is cheap." Results are what counts. Don't dismiss GM Ted Thompson just yet. He may surprise some of impatient anti Thompson posters on the packerforum. Unless they have closed minds.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
RP..

YOu got one thing wrong...

Ryan would be wearing that "damn" NISOA wind-breaker of his....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay.... or bolt...?

Bates pondering his future in Green Bay

By BOB McGINN
[email protected]

Posted: Jan. 13, 2006

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers don't want to start over on defense but will have to do so unless new coach Mike McCarthy is able to persuade Jim Bates to stay on as defensive coordinator

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bates was weighing his options Thursday, one day after being told by general manager Ted Thompson that McCarthy was getting the job that he coveted.

"He's disappointed," said agent Gary O'Hagan, who represents both Bates and McCarthy. "If he wasn't disappointed there would be something wrong with him. Of course he wanted to be the head coach of the Green Bay Packers. But you can only have one head coach."

Bates was lying low Thursday, informing the club's public relations staff that he wasn't returning phone calls.

"I spoke with Jim last night and this morning," Thompson said Thursday afternoon. "He was disappointed. He's thinking. It was an outstanding interview. He's a good man. We'll see where that goes."

Bates, who will turn 60 in May, got a taste of head coaching in Miami late last season and said he loved every minute of it. He posted a 3-4 record as interim coach after Dave Wannstedt resigned under pressure.

He signed a two-year contract with the Packers, and several times expressed how much he liked coaching in the National Football League's smallest city. The defense improved from 25th to seventh in yards allowed. However, the Packers tied for 26th in take-aways, ranked 23rd in run defense and tied for 19th in points allowed.

Although Bates' pride undoubtedly was damaged, O'Hagan said he wouldn't rule out the possibility that his client would remain under McCarthy.

"But it doesn't mean he's definitely going to stay," O'Hagan said. "I think there could be other (head-coaching) opportunities for him and I know other teams are looking at him, too. What Jim feels is best for him and his wife, that's what will dictate his decision."

There still are seven head-coaching vacancies in the National Football League.

Both McCarthy and Bates became coordinators in 2000. Their teams have never played against each other in the regular season.

"The job he did this past year speaks for itself," McCarthy said. "We do not have a personal relationship but when you compete against another coach, he's a man I respect. I'd love the opportunity to sit down and see if we could work out the possibility of him working here."

If Bates had become head coach, club sources indicated that defensive ends coach Bob Sanders most likely would have been promoted to defensive coordinator. Sanders became highly regarded within the organization during his first year in Green Bay.

Whether Sanders would have a shot at the coordinator's job if Bates departs is unknown.

The 15 members of Sherman's staff who don't have jobs for 2006 will meet with McCarthy, perhaps as early as today.

Thompson declined comment when asked whether he would grant permission to Bates if he wanted to interview for a coordinator's job with another team.

"I hope we see Jim Bates back here in the coordinator's job," linebacker Nick Barnett said Thursday. "That would be excellent."

If not, Barnett would be playing for his fourth coordinator in his four-year career.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
If Thompson and McCarthy know whats good for the team, they will keep Bates. They must.

Sometimes its not in their hands. Example. Rivera and Wahle. We might lose Bates because he wasn't selected the HC. I like Bates a lot but knowing Bates had Rossley as his OC while he was HC of the Gunslingers, well frankly that scares me.

Members online

Latest posts