Is anyone familiar with Aaron's injury? I have a question

D

Deleted member 6794

meh, yeah, its honestly not that huge of a worry. That write up makes it out like this type of injury is common for players.

The article states that Rodgers probably won´t be a 100% for 6-8 weeks. IMO that´s pretty concerning.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
The article states that Rodgers probably won´t be a 100% for 6-8 weeks. IMO that´s pretty concerning.

That coupled with the fact that it's not exactly going to be much warmer next time he plays. The chance to re-aggravate an injury in cold weather is much greater than when it's warm.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then mighty #12 will simply have to shred defenses from the pocket. Eddie, James and John will have to pick up their game and make it unnecessary for mighty #12 to scramble. Randall, Jordy and Davante will have to get wide open and provide inviting targets for mighty #12.

Tony Romo has a smashed-up back and he's playing.

Peyton Manning has a gimpy neck and he's playing.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

At the risk of being "overly simplistic" isn't it possible they could rig up a pad with heating packets or equivalent for Rodgers calf? Provide him with extra attention and therapy on the sidelines?

Let's just hope for no horrendous long-term injury.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
At the risk of being "overly simplistic" isn't it possible they could rig up a pad with heating packets or equivalent for Rodgers calf? Provide him with extra attention and therapy on the sidelines?

I used to use the hand warmers I used during hunting season and stuff them in my socks during rugby games to keep my calves lose. Whether they provided any actual help is debatable, but it seemed to work for me.

Agreed. Rodgers is probably one of the most likable players in the NFL. He doesn't deserve anything that bad to happen to him. Especially not after the crap he went through last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well then mighty #12 will simply have to shred defenses from the pocket. Eddie, James and John will have to pick up their game and make it unnecessary for mighty #12 to scramble. Randall, Jordy and Davante will have to get wide open and provide inviting targets for mighty #12.

Tony Romo has a smashed-up back and he's playing.

Peyton Manning has a gimpy neck and he's playing.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

I´m not throwing in the towel but if Rodgers can´t use his mobility to the Packers advantage it will be tough to win in the playoffs.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is probably one of the most likable players in the NFL.

I agree. I have to point this out to my buddies every week at the Packer parties.

Not only is Rodgers "likable", but we're all blessed to be watching HISTORIC LEVELS OF GREATNESS is his play.

We're not just a "bunch of homers" fawning over #12; the entire NATIONAL MEDIA is fawning over #12.

Go over to the Lions fan forums. Everybody grousing over the NFL "protecting their golden boy" Aaron Rodgers by suspending Suh. Isn't that precisely what the NFL is supposed to do? Protect players laying defenseless on the ground from being stepped on / stomped on whatever by guy like Suh? Guys like Raiola? They seem to dare to compare an inadvertent head slap by Brad Jones on Stafford to Suh's stomp / step / whatever on Rodgers.

****** me off.

Sorry for venting.

GO PACK!

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me its not. Reason being is because this sounds like something that is common in sports from what Ive read and seen. Fans tend to make mountains out of ant hills when it comes to injuries to the players of their favorite team. Meaning, blow it out of proportion. Players play with injuries all the time of various severity's. If I were a betting man, if Rodgers gets a lot of rest and stays off that leg this week, and then is limited next week (meaning staying off the leg a lot getting lots and lots of treatment) that come game time in two weeks, we wont even notice hes injured. The only way we will notice hes injured is *IF* it tightens up again. When watching that game against the Lions, I didnt even notice a limp or anything until it tightened up on him. That was on a 1 week rest....this time he has 2 weeks rest.......he'll be fine.

Remember, athletes are freakish and can get back on track from injuries a lot faster than non-athletes can.

D

Deleted member 6794

To me its not. Reason being is because this sounds like something that is common in sports from what Ive read and seen. Fans tend to make mountains out of ant hills when it comes to injuries to the players of their favorite team. Meaning, blow it out of proportion. Players play with injuries all the time of various severity's. If I were a betting man, if Rodgers gets a lot of rest and stays off that leg this week, and then is limited next week (meaning staying off the leg a lot getting lots and lots of treatment) that come game time in two weeks, we wont even notice hes injured. The only way we will notice hes injured is *IF* it tightens up again. When watching that game against the Lions, I didnt even notice a limp or anything until it tightened up on him. That was on a 1 week rest....this time he has 2 weeks rest.......he'll be fine.

Remember, athletes are freakish and can get back on track from injuries a lot faster than non-athletes can.

I expect Rodgers to be able to play in two weeks but he won't be 100%. That means he won't be as mobile as normally and the risk of aggravating the injury is higher, possibly resulting in a complete tear ending his season.

Sorry, but I'm concerned about that.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet he'll be close to 100%. In other words, he'll be in a lot better shape than he was before the Lions game.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and the Packers downplayed the injury before the Lions game saying it wasn't anything to be worried about. Turns out it was. I'm not going to put any stock in what Rodgers or MM says about it because of course they are going to put a positive spin on it right up until the moment that Rodgers cannot play on it (which hopefully will never come). I will trust only what is reported by a doctor or the Packers medical staff, which will probably not be made fully public anyway, and from what the one doctor who was quoted has said so far, it sounds like it could be a significant injury.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anything less than 100% just makes it more likely we see exactly what we did on Sunday. He'll be fine if he doesn't have to push it. but it only takes once where he plants and pushes off to avoid a rusher, he doesn't even need to run, and he's right back to where he was.

It didn't affect him SUnday much because the Oline didn't allow anyone near him and he could adapt his play style so it was ok. If there's pressure, things change in a hurry.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It didn't affect him SUnday much because the Oline didn't allow anyone near him and he could adapt his play style so it was ok. If there's pressure, things change in a hurry.

Really? Having to leave the game barely being able to walk and go to the locker room to get treatment doesn't count as affecting him much? I realize he came back and was able to still produce, but to say it didn't affect him much is a bit of a stretch.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're misinterpreting me. Of course it "affected" him. he was ****ing hurt. It didn't have a lot of affect on his game because he didn't have to move much. The offensive line played outstanding and he was able to adapt his game to play within his limitations. If was having to throw on the run and avoid pressure the entire half i'm sure it would have been a lot different for him and he probably wouldn't even have finished the game.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well we don't know how fast aaron heals, but we know that they shot him up when he went into the locker room cause if he didn't theres no way he comes back in the game. Ive had calf strained and they are much more like like hamstring pulls. I think aaron calf injury is a pretty good one the way he couldn't get back up, i bet he felt it pop so A good tear takes like 4-8 weeks to fully heal. He won't be 100 percent in 2 weeks for sure.
I didnt really want to fuel speculation. But Im sure he was shot up. The way he went down, I thought he was a goner. The way he came back was miraculous. 3 more games to go after the 2 week rest... Its a balancing act with alot at stake.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine any self respecting training staff would have even suggested a cortisone shot for this injury for their 100 million dollar quarterback.

Reaction score
From my experience, which started with 4 years of cross country and Track throughout high school, weight training with heavy free weights and plenty of calf raises single legged both etc.. I've hopped out weight rooms pulling a calf muscle at his age. His was not any worse and Id guess 3-4 weeks safely. I'm guessing his is 2-3 weeks and thats if he doesn't tweek it day 5. He's not gonna be running a lot in 8 days from today. Or he risks going back to go
good news is I dont like it when he scrambles anyways. Based on what we saw last Sunday against Detroit, he's slmost just as dangerous not scrambling and hitting quick targets. We might avoid him holding the ball too long which very well could offset any deficiency of his rushing yards

Last edited:

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine any self respecting training staff would have even suggested a cortisone shot for this injury for their 100 million dollar quarterback.

I totally agree. I think it's ridiculous to say he just needed to handle the pain and he couldn't damage it anymore. Pain is a way of telling us that something isn't right and masking the pain can lead to further damage.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. I think it's ridiculous to say he just needed to handle the pain and he couldn't damage it anymore. Pain is a way of telling us that something isn't right and masking the pain can lead to further damage.
True. But the alternative, is we get beat by the lions, lose the north, and Rodgers gets one week to prepare for a wild card game. Recipe for 1 and done. Rodgers could have come back in and injured it again, finishing his year... same result. So why not try?
And lets not act like the training staff pinned him down and shot him up before they kicked him back onto the field... Rodgers probabally said, "give me something to take the edge off"... He wasnt out there numb from the hip down, just hoping he doesnt wake up with a calf torn up. He shot up the pain, and probabally got some heat on it. Managed to come out with perfect execution to protect it, and win the game.

I guarantee Rodgers wont be the one to sit back and say, sorry everyone. The magical season is over, because I need to save myself for next year... I MIGHT tear my calf muscle........ Ummmmmmm. At this point. This close to the promised land. You run it til the wheels fall off... Its a muscle. Now if it was a blown ligament like RG3, I dont think anyone would risk shortening his career for a chance to go farther...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think people quit understand what a cortisone shot does. I'm sure he got nothing but some soft tissue work and ultrasound and then compression to get back out there.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cortisone or maybe something else? You cant tell me they dont have something like the dentist, has where they shoot up the hurt spot, and two inches over the calf is still functional. If he has a 20% tear (im not a doctor obviously) and the only thing stopping him from using the good 80% is alot of pain.... stop the pain.

The calf is a LOT of small muscles. It would be safe to say he could have torn one of the small ones, and not have the other muscles effected at all... Tearing the crap out of a small muscle will drop you like a ton of bricks. (like he went down in 2nd quarter) But take that pain out of the equasion, and he's back on the field looking pretty damn good. Moving in the pocket like nothing was wrong at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pain was his friend at that point, once they took care of the initial muscle reaction that occurred after trying to run on it. Not being able to feel it with the destructive nature of cortisone over time would have left him much more likely to be injured much more severely than he was. They didn't want to take the pain away, it was letting him now how he could play.

Why would you take an area that is less than 100% and unstable and prone to further injury and take away one of your body's most effective safety nets to prevent further injury and then tell the MVP of the league to get back out and play football? I'm thankful they are smarter than that and took care of the acute situation and then had him adapt his play so he could stay within his limitations and the play calling, rather than say, go play 100% on a leg that's 50. Then you can have offseason surgery too.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pain was his friend at that point, once they took care of the initial muscle reaction that occurred after trying to run on it. Not being able to feel it with the destructive nature of cortisone over time would have left him much more likely to be injured much more severely than he was. They didn't want to take the pain away, it was letting him now how he could play.

Why would you take an area that is less than 100% and unstable and prone to further injury and take away one of your body's most effective safety nets to prevent further injury and then tell the MVP of the league to get back out and play football? I'm thankful they are smarter than that and took care of the acute situation and then had him adapt his play so he could stay within his limitations and the play calling, rather than say, go play 100% on a leg that's 50. Then you can have offseason surgery too.

Well said. I think a lot of people don't understand the implications of using cortisone in a situation like that. I'm sure Rodgers wanted to get back out there any way he could, but with the heightened focus on player safety, do you really think a trainer is going to risk further injury by shooting him up, plus exposing himself and the NFL to litigation if Rodgers did hurt himself more because of it? I don't think so.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts