1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Is anyone else worried about Hawk?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TOPackerFan, Aug 7, 2006.

1. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to go to Milwaukee for work Wednesday and Thursday so I decided to stay for the weekend to take in practice on Friday and Family Night on Saturday and I was quite concerned about what I saw. I watched Hawk for most of the time he was on the field and he was totally invisible. Abdul Hodge was the guy I noticed from the LB corps. I expected AJ to be all over the field and he just looked like another guy out there. I know it's early, but I'm a little worried about how AJ is progressing.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    did you not read my latest article, which i made BEFORE the scrimmage?

one point was to not freak out if he doesnt WOW you right out of the gate. He IS a rookie, who is asked to do a lot, and he just got MARRIED, so...give him some time. If he doesnt improve by week 3 or 4 of preseason, then be concerned, but not now. The coaches\writers havent said ONE thing about him underperforming. And some GB writers(i wont name names) love to point out the negatives, and Hawk isnt one...so....lets wait to get concerned

3. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously I didn't - I do have other things to do aside from waiting for your latest pronouncement. I was just noting that in watching him he looked rather ordinary, not what you'd expect from the #5 pick in the draft.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    (I was...just kidding)

5. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not worried I'm sure he can rack up some numbers as the season starts

6. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    (so was I...)

7. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    in a word...no! :)

8. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I am not concerned either. Don't make a judgement from one scrimmage. Be patient.

9. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +62
    I'm not going to Tony Mandarich him yet. I think Hawk is the victim of the NFL/fans/TV hype machines. He is a rookie learning a new defense.
    But keep your eye on him. He signed that contract to be a starter. It's a promise the player makes that he is capable of playing at that level for that money.

I think he will give the effort to become at least a good starter. My one concern with him is something a few NFL scouts had is his size. He's only 6'1. Not small, but most of the linebackers today are in the 6'3 range. He's got all the intangibles, but he mastered the Ohio State defense. He needs time to master the Packers defense.

But I do remember the initial days of practice when Mandarich was drafted. Tim Harris was playing linebacker and made a fool of him. It became evident Tony was a steroid monster who couldn't match the level of play at the pro level early in his career. I haven't heard any rumblings about Hawk being destroyed, just a bit overwhelmed. Watch A.J. over the next several weeks. I think he will give the effort to improve and alleviate fears. The contract, however, means Hawk must be an impact player, or he falls into the 'semi-bust' level, an average player making large money.

Hodge has looked good, but keep in mind he often plays against backups.

10. Tylaa

Tylaa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of expected Hawk to make better plays then he has... I hope he will do alot better by the season. I guess we will see... Look at Prince Fielder he started in a slump and became one of the Brewers best player.

11. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is an article that was posted in my local paper from Bob Mcginn about A.J., it is a pretty good read, maybe someone who has access to MJS can post it.

12. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No i am not worried

13. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    geeeeeez. Not even a pre season game yet and we are worried. Most rookies don't start to catch on until mid season so if he isn't looking better by the end of September I would worry. If you expect him to play at the Pro bowl level from the start of his rookie season I think that is not likely. We also will have a lot of new faces on defense and it will take time for all of them to gel and work together.

14. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not worried at all.
    This guy will be the stud we drafted him to be.
    By the time we meet the Bears in game 1, the Hawk will be in full swoop.

15. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TO, I think the Hawk you saw was the product of many factors.

1. He is a rookie
    2. He has been hampered with lack of mental familiaration by not being there for OTAs.
    3. He has been hampered with lack of physical reps in the D system.
    4. He must be exhausted mentally, finishing school and now going on to knowing the playbook inside and out. Mental relaxation is important.
    5. Trying to keep up with TC, while he is trying to make up for lack of experience in OTAs too.

I think he just needs more time, it might be week 3 maybe even week 4 of preseason before Hawk starts to show flashes.

16. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What I look for early in the preseason is not consistency, because that's not going to happen with the younger players. I look for big play ability and physical skills. So it was disappointing not to see any of that from Hawk. But sometimes those things happen. Players get caught up in traffic and don't have a chance to get in on many plays. I've heard nothing but good things about Hawk's performance in practice, so I won't start to worry unless he struggles in the first couple preseason games, and even then I won't worry too much yet.

17. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Not worried at all....not at all.

18. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats what I say. Give him time. He better live up to his hype. cute dog by the way.

19. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Coming out of Ohio ST. it was known he would not be allowed to practice until he graduated. He has not been on the field enough yet for this to be second nature to him. It will come soon enough.

Remember, this guy was said to have what it takes to be a bigger impact player as a rookie than probably anyone else in the draft.

Once he get's it he will take off.

20. IndiPack

IndiPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Right, when he's drafted #5 with hefty accolades, early expectations're for him to set yellow helmets rolling all over the field, but trite as it sounds, it's early, and he's adjusting to a lot in a hurry, personally and professionally. He may take a while to settle in but the chances Hawk is gonna be a flop are minimal. Hodge may be getting more press at the moment, has had a faster start, but again it's too early to say Hawk's under performing. He's learning. Remember too that guys are keying on him - "Big shot rookie linebacker, eh? Chew on this - " *THWAP* - but it'll speed his development, slow as it may seem. As for his height, Hodge is shorter.

21. IndiPack

IndiPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    take 2 -

22. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    with hwak missing most of the ota's b/c of school, and being behind in knowing the defence i'm not worried at all. if the season is 5-6 games old and hawk still seems lost, then i'd have some concerns.

23. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    yeah now nothing to concern if he is still a little invisible and not showing good talent then its ok to be worried

24. IndiPack

IndiPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    3rd attempt (this'll be great, you'll love it. honest.)

25. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair, that is Big Willy, not many people would do much better than Hawk is in that pic.