Is Adams the next homegrown talent to get a new contract?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He needs to again put up similar numbers to last season and he will be taken care of. If not Ted then someone else will step up.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really think that it is time for him to really step up to the plate.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is the kind of player that presents a conundrum for the Packers. Do you try to resign him early, in an attempt to get a small reduction in price or do you let it play out and pay him/let him walk based on his 2017 performance? I always contend (and history has shown) that playing on the Green Bay Packers offense, with Aaron Rodgers throwing to you is going to make you look like a better receiver than you might actually be. If Adam's numbers this year are better than last year, you know he is going to command top dollar and it might force the Packers into the same decision they had with Cobb, pay high market value or lose him. On the other hand, if he has an "average" season, than they may get him for less than they would have paid based on his 2016 stats. Toss in Jordy's age, Cobb's contract and currently no clear cut guys at #4-#12 and you almost think it would be wise for the Packers to resign Adams early. My guess is they see what those #4-#12 guys look like through the preseason, if one or more aren't looking like quality starters, the Packers may be smart to try and lock Adams into a long term contract sooner than later. If it looks like some of the younger guys are quality, then let nature take its course and only resign Adams if it makes sense, not because you have to.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id gamble and lock him up now with cobb highly unlikely to be a packer next season unless he takes a major reduction in pay or has an all pro season. Adams will only turn 25 during the season so hes still got plenty of upside. he looks to be the new greg jennings in this offense, a great route runner, deadly on slants able to win with short area quickness which allows him to be an effective deep threat despite average speed.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By early in the season, they should know if last season was a fluke or not. He was pretty impressive last season, hoping it continues.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't like the thought of this. But I think Ted is hoping he can allow Davante to walk in the next off-season. Why? Because he drafted two WRs this year. I think Ted wants Davis to step up and play close to how Allison has when Geronimo got his opportunities and capitalized last year. If Davis makes a big jump, along with Allison being steady/Yancey and/or Dupree picking up the offense and making plays in practice early in the season, TT is gonna go the cheap route and let Adams test the market and get a bag from another team. He won't restructure Jordy or Cobb because I think when he signs guys to the second contract he sees that as their one true reward. He would rather be cheap/stingy in how he acquires/retains players than redo a contract once its been made. So yeah, I'm worried about us keeping #17. Unless Ted stops being stubborn in his ways/doesn't feel confident in all the cheap young guys he has brought in as insurance, we might have one more year with the kid and then he'll be gone.

I hope that Ted restructures Jordy/Randall (basically extend them for 2-3 extra years while also lowering their cap #s) in order to give Davante an extension before the end of TC.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think last year was his first healthy year......997 yards...........not bad!

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the Packers should re-sign Adams. It would probably be smart to extend him either before or early this season.

id gamble and lock him up now with cobb highly unlikely to be a packer next season unless he takes a major reduction in pay or has an all pro season.

It's highly unlikely that the Packers release Cobb after the 2017 season as it seems Thompson doesn't even approach underperforming players about renegotiating their contracts let alone get rid of them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think last year was his first healthy year......997 yards...........not bad!
It's not bad, but you have to look at a guy like Rishard Matthews who put up similar numbers and only had a $5M cap hit, or Chris Hogan, who wasn't as featured a player but was a serious deep threat and an affordable player. If Adams gets signed to a salary twice of what these guys make, I just think that's too rich. He's going to have to show a lot more before I can buy into him being capable of more than playing second fiddle to a good WR or a beneficiary of receiving throws from an All time great.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not bad, but you have to look at a guy like Rishard Matthews who put up similar numbers and only had a $5M cap hit, or Chris Hogan, who wasn't as featured a player but was a serious deep threat and an affordable player. If Adams gets signed to a salary twice of what these guys make, I just think that's too rich. He's going to have to show a lot more before I can buy into him being capable of more than playing second fiddle to a good WR or a beneficiary of receiving throws from an All time great.

You have to consider that Adams was second in the league in touchdown receptions in 2016 though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider that Adams was second in the league in touchdown receptions in 2016 though.
Second to who?

Every #1 or #2 guy that Rodgers has who is worth his salt will lead the league in some category and pile up numbers against weak competition, but how many of them produce in a similar fashion against the league's best CBs or defensive schemes? Padding stats against the weak Bears or Eagles' secondaries doesn't really do much for a team wanting to build towards a championship.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
By early in the season, they should know if last season was a fluke or not. He was pretty impressive last season, hoping it continues.
I suspect he gets re-signed some time in the first half of October if his quality of play resembles last season's.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't like the thought of this. But I think Ted is hoping he can allow Davante to walk in the next off-season. Why? Because he drafted two WRs this year. I think Ted wants Davis to step up and play close to how Allison has when Geronimo got his opportunities and capitalized last year. If Davis makes a big jump, along with Allison being steady/Yancey and/or Dupree picking up the offense and making plays in practice early in the season, TT is gonna go the cheap route and let Adams test the market and get a bag from another team. He won't restructure Jordy or Cobb because I think when he signs guys to the second contract he sees that as their one true reward. He would rather be cheap/stingy in how he acquires/retains players than redo a contract once its been made. So yeah, I'm worried about us keeping #17. Unless Ted stops being stubborn in his ways/doesn't feel confident in all the cheap young guys he has brought in as insurance, we might have one more year with the kid and then he'll be gone.

I hope that Ted restructures Jordy/Randall (basically extend them for 2-3 extra years while also lowering their cap #s) in order to give Davante an extension before the end of TC.
That is a rather jaded way of looking at it. I'm more of the opinion that Thompson would like to see all the players play to the best of their ability and be successful.

D

Deleted member 6794

Every #1 or #2 guy that Rodgers has who is worth his salt will lead the league in some category and pile up numbers against weak competition, but how many of them produce in a similar fashion against the league's best CBs or defensive schemes? Padding stats against the weak Bears or Eagles' secondaries doesn't really do much for a team wanting to build towards a championship.

Every other receiver in the league played against weak secondaries as well yet only Nelson caught more touchdown passes in the NFL last season. Adams is most likely not a #1 receiver but for sure a decent option as the other starter on the perimeter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a rather jaded way of looking at it. I'm more of the opinion that Thompson would like to see all the players play to the best of their ability and be successful.
agreed. I'd think it far more likely Thompson is hoping he goes for 100 receptions, 1400+ yards and 15 TD's and earns a fat contract with THIS team than he hopes he can get rid of him and plug in Davis?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm partial. Any wr who can get open can easily catch double digit touchdowns playing with Aaron Rodgers. I'm more convinced every wr on the roster outside of Jordy Nelson is a product of the system to be honest. Just look what happened to James Jones, and Greg Jennings when they left. Proof is in the pudding.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every other receiver in the league played against weak secondaries as well yet only Nelson caught more touchdown passes in the NFL last season. Adams is most likely not a #1 receiver but for sure a decent option as the other starter on the perimeter.
I do agree with this, but his production is likely to warrant an offer from other teams in the $10M range,and that's too much for a #2 WR, as it was for Cobb. Factoring in the addition of Bennett, and that's a ton of money wrapped up in that group if Adams stays around.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm partial. Any wr who can get open can easily catch double digit touchdowns playing with Aaron Rodgers. I'm more convinced every wr on the roster outside of Jordy Nelson is a product of the system to be honest. Just look what happened to James Jones, and Greg Jennings when they left. Proof is in the pudding.
Jones had 73 catches in his only season with the Raiders and 6 TD's with a rookie quarterback. Greg Jennings had absolute garbage throwing to him. I'm sorry, but if you can't see what Greg Jennings was you're a football fool. That man was so precise and smooth. He had every bit as much of making AR look great as the other way around. Turned lots and lots of short to medium passes into huge gainers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I do agree with this, but his production is likely to warrant an offer from other teams in the $10M range,and that's too much for a #2 WR, as it was for Cobb. Factoring in the addition of Bennett, and that's a ton of money wrapped up in that group if Adams stays around.

But they will be able to count on getting Cobb and Nelson off the books in coming seasons. Both expire after 2018, and Cobb could be released sooner. So at most, their deals should only overlap with Adams by one season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Adams' numbers are surely affected by Rodgers. With another team, he very likely would see more targets, but would have fewer touchdowns. But his value, relative to other receivers, is pretty clear to me after our most recent playoffs. AR had a much harder time without a healthy Nelson and Adams. It wasn't like the next man up could replace what Adams does.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Second to who?

Every team's WR's pad stats against weak opponents. You need to apply the rule evenly.

Adams is a #3 receiver, pretty much the equal of James Jones imo at this point in his career. If he shows continued improvement he'll get a nice paycheck soon.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Second to who?

Wait, so you're saying Dez Bryant isn't all that good because he plays against those same Eagles and Packers DB's? And Megatron was only so-so because of the Packers and Bears DB's?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the Packers should re-sign Adams.

It's highly unlikely that the Packers release Cobb after the 2017 season as it seems Thompson doesn't even approach underperforming players about renegotiating their contracts let alone get rid of them.

Unfortunately i dont see how they keep cobb nelson and adams at 30 million against the cap. and that would entail structuring adams to only count about 6 million against the cap in 2018. i dont see how it wpuld be smart to keep cobb at the cost of losing adams. adams is only 24 and the team has no one ready to replace him. while cobbs replacement is ready to go and will be much better than cobb, jotdy nelson. what TT needs to find is a replacement for nelsons snaps on the outside. also i think nelson gets a 3rd contract after 2018

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets see how well he does this year before jumping to conclusions after last year's performance. he has proven that he has the ability to perform as expected. question is will it continue? hopefully he doesn't have the 2015 debacle this year. if he does perform like he did in '15 then adams could be one of those hit miss type players

Members online

Latest posts