Is Aaron Rodgers the best Packer QB of all time ?

Squonk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why whether you like him or not matters with regard to his greatness as a QB.
He was great. I didn't say he wasn't, did I? Just said I didn't care for his off-season jerking around of the team, his fans, and how he played the media game. Does that clear it up for you? Rodgers is a better all around quarterback, and definitely a smarter player. And he (Favre)
was second, ahead of Bart Starr on my list.

Last edited:

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
You cannot determine "GOAT" until that player has retired IMO. Currently, I do believe is the best quarterback in the NFL. There is not a single QB in the NFL I would give up Rodgers to have, and that includes Tom Brady. Tom Brady is a systems QB. He is a product of the system. Aaron Rodgers is the only QB in the NFL, you could put on any team and immediately make them better. Aaron Rodgers would make the New England Patriots better. Said it.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
You cannot determine "GOAT" until that player has retired IMO. Currently, I do believe is the best quarterback in the NFL. There is not a single QB in the NFL I would give up Rodgers to have, and that includes Tom Brady. Tom Brady is a systems QB. He is a product of the system. Aaron Rodgers is the only QB in the NFL, you could put on any team and immediately make them better. Aaron Rodgers would make the New England Patriots better. Said it.

And Rodgers is not (in part) a "system QB" ? ... some could argue that though ... Remember Matt Flynns 5 td game ?

While Rodgers is a very talented and skilled QB, Brady has at times (seasons) done more with less ... but that is a moot point as Rodgers wouldn't fit in NE ...

Belichick is probably the greatest coach in the NFL (- ever), and in my opinion a huge Factor in NE succes through the years, however, Brady should be given some credit atleast aswell ...

Just take yesterdays game; Pretty much everyone is creditting Rodgers - nevermind the defense who stepped up and kept the Giants from scoring, before the offense (and Rodgers) found their groove ... Rodgers didn't exactly look too good the first quarter ... my point being ... the Giants could have been up by two scores and made it an entirely different game ...

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Rodgers is not (in part) a "system QB" ? ... some could argue that though ... Remember Matt Flynns 5 td game ?

While Rodgers is a very talented and skilled QB, Brady has at times (seasons) done more with less ... but that is a moot point as Rodgers wouldn't fit in NE ...

Belichick is probably the greatest coach in the NFL (- ever), and in my opinion a huge Factor in NE succes through the years, however, Brady should be given some credit atleast aswell ...

Just take yesterdays game; Pretty much everyone is creditting Rodgers - nevermind the defense who stepped up and kept the Giants from scoring, before the offense (and Rodgers) found their groove ... Rodgers didn't exactly look too good the first quarter ... my point being ... the Giants could have been up by two scores and made it an entirely different game ...
Funny how you mention GB's system, while failing to mention that NE is 14-6 with Brady out (just off the top of my head for the Cassell year and this year). Look at GB's performance with no Rodgers.

His defense is consistently ranked higher than GB by a long shot, and Rodgers has the highest QB rating of all time, and higher than Brady in the playoffs. I fail to see how he has done more, or how he's done it with less.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Tom Brady is a great quick release pocket passer. Possibly the greatest of all time. Brady is a great game manager and wil probably end his career as the most "winningous" QB in NFL history, but that is a TEAM stat. 52 players and 12+ coaches play a huge role in wins vs. losses. Sure, the QB is the main role, but Bill Bellicheck plays a much bigger role in the New England Patriots. So down to the gritty: as soon as Brady is outside of the pocket or as soon as he has to throw longer than a 15 yard pass, he throws the ball away. When it comes to versatility, arm strength, accuracy, elusiveness, rushing, QBR, completion rate and throwing over 15 yards, Rodgers wins in every category. I live in New England, and everyone here thinks Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time. Of course I drop names like Johnny Unitas and they give me a blank stare...but how often do you watch Tom Brady play football and say "omg how did he do that", "that is one of the best passes I have ever seen" etc. The answer is throughout his career approximately 6 times a year you might legitimately hear those types of comments. Aaron Rodgers, approximately 4-6 times per game. There's the answer.

It is pretty amazing that we get to even have the discussion about a 32 year old QB. Still cannot say who is GOAT until they retire and I do not know if anyone will pass up Johnny Unitas in my book, but we will see.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he wins another SB, he passes Favre in my book. Favre had better supporting players ( Butler, Freeman, Driver, Walker, etc) than Rodgers has had. He also had a GM who wasn't afraid to make bold moves.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he wins another SB, he passes Favre in my book. Favre had better supporting players ( Butler, Freeman, Driver, Walker, etc) than Rodgers has had. He also had a GM who wasn't afraid to make bold moves.

That's why you don't judge QB's by championships. Was Dan Marino a zero because he won no championships ?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Marino is overrated. People think he didn't win a SB because he never had a running game or defense. But if you look at his playoff stats, they are terrible. In most of his playoff games, he threw at least one pick, and in about half of them he threw 2 picks. Also, in most of his playoff games, he threw for under 300 yards.

I'd say right now Rodgers is at Favre level, because at least Favre made it to 2 SBs.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily. Rodgers is the best quarterback in the last two decades. His mobility is what sets him apart from guys like Brady, Manning, and the rest. They simply cannot do the things Rodgers can outside the pocket.

If the Cowboys are playing Favre, Manning, or Brady last week I fully believe they win that football game. Unfortunately they were playing football's version of Michael Jordan.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily. Rodgers is the best quarterback in the last two decades. His mobility is what sets him apart from guys like Brady, Manning, and the rest. They simply cannot do the things Rodgers can outside the pocket.

If the Cowboys are playing Favre, Manning, or Brady last week I fully believe they win that football game. Unfortunately they were playing football's version of Michael Jordan.

Good Observation........Thanks

Sky King

Reaction score
That's why you don't judge QB's by championships. Was Dan Marino a zero because he won no championships ?
Oh yes you do. BTW, nobody said or implied that Marino was a zero. Well, it appears that you may have. Marino has not earned the same legacy status as those QBs who have earned multiple championships. That doesn't make him a zero but also doesn't make him a champion. He won a lot of battles along the way but he never won the war.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yes you do. BTW, nobody said or implied that Marino was a zero. Well, it appears that you may have. Marino has not earned the same legacy status as those QBs who have earned multiple championships. That doesn't make him a zero but also doesn't make him a champion. He won a lot of battles along the way but he never won the war.

Championships no doubt play a huge role.

Tony Romo has far superior numbers than the likes of Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, but he'll never be even close to those guys in most people's eyes because he never won a Super Bowl in Dallas.

There are a lot of good quarterbacks to play this game that never won championships and fair or not they'll be remembered as not being able to win that big game.

Sky King

Reaction score
Championships no doubt play a huge role.

Tony Romo has far superior numbers than the likes of Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, but he'll never be even close to those guys in most people's eyes because he never won a Super Bowl in Dallas.

There are a lot of good quarterbacks to play this game that never won championships and fair or not they'll be remembered as not being able to win that big game.
Case in point. Two examples of guys who did win when the winning was the most difficult and another who never has. Rarified air is just that.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Case in point. Two examples of guys who did win when the winning was the most difficult and another who never has. Rarified air is just that.
Yep my hope is Prescott can be the former, but you never really know with these things.

Sky King

Reaction score
Yep my hope is Prescott can be the former, but you never really know with these things.
When I look around at the next big thing in QBs I rarely ever give a nod towards somebody as short in the tooth as Prescott is at this early juncture. However, he is one to keep a close eye on over the next few years IMHO. He still has a lot yet to prove through experience, and longevity performing at the top level at his position should also a factor into anointing a QB's overall status. But I have no problem acknowledging that he's off to an exceptionally good start.

Next season will be even more of a test for him. DC's and their staffs will up the ante with an entire year of tape study under their belts. The wild card is always going to be injuries, especially if they occur in droves at key positions. Timing of injuries, as well, since it's not always who you play but when you play them. Whether he can carry the team on his back when adversity strikes is yet to be learned. He looks like he may be up to the task, at this point.

It should be fun for you to watch all that sparring that's bound to occur next season.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern with Dak isn't that he's a one year wonder. Pretty confident he's gonna be a pretty good for awhile. Bigger concern is whether Dallas can build that defense. To me that's really what has kept them from building a consistent contender. You either need a trancadent talent at QB or a dominant defense/run game/consistent and steady QB play. Most teams have neither.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts