Is Aaron Rodgers the best Packer QB of all time ?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly... we have the big 3... and I don't plan to order them.... and after that in no real order we have Lynn ****ey... Magic.... and I'll let someone else dig up all the old timers they feel belong on the list lol.
Rich camble

Randy Wright

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. His playoff resume is spotty at best minus one miracle run. ( Where the D bailed him out in the title game vs Bears. He was "okay" in that game).

So then Favre must be third since the year year won it he had one the best if not the best defenses in the league and one of the best if not the best special teams in the league. That Super Bowl Desmond Howard bailed Favre out then huh?

I have no idea who the best is but just judging off Super Bowls seems weird because then every player on those teams was our best ever. Best rb, best wr, best te, etc.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This. His playoff resume is spotty at best minus one miracle run. ( Where the D bailed him out in the title game vs Bears. He was "okay" in that game).
First of all, I love it when people say "miracle run" or "lucked into it" (you didn't use this, but I have heard it many times). Super Bowls are hard to win.

And yes. The defense played well in that game against a poo poo platter of assorted quarterbacks. Though the defense played well and I give them all the credit in the world, I also recall them getting sliced up way too often by Caleb fricken Hanne in the second half. Now, Rodgers also threw up a goose egg in the second half to be fair.

Rodgers played well. Not good enough to his standards, but he did set the tone early with an opening drive touchdown, and then another touchdown to open up the second quarter. Threw two picks, but one of them bounced off of Driver's foot. Unfortunate break for the Packers, and the pick by Urlacher I don't think Rodgers ever seen him, totally his fault, but he also made a touchdown saving tackle on that same play! Also, I think we were inside the 10 on that drive. There were multiple drives that stalled in Chicago territory, so it's not like Rodgers couldn't move the ball for the entre game or something.

In those temps in a high pressure game, he wasn't gonna go 30-35 for 380 and 4 TD's. Those are games that your defense BETTER help you win. A few more efforts like that over the past 6 years since then would have been extremely nice.

Even that game granted, he was great throughout the playoffs and was great in the Super Bowl. And yes, he got a huge assist on a pick 6, but he played great in that Super Bowl, and the Super Bowl run in general.

Add up the # of times Rodgers was the reason for losing in the playoffs v.s. the defense and it's no where near equal. That defense was so great because they were so opportunistic, and that's why we win the Super Bowl. Without that, we don't win it all regardless of what Rodgers does so I give the defense all the credit it deserves for winning that year. But let's try not to paint this false narrative that Rodgers postseason career has been a disappointment when he has better overall playoff numbers than the greatest playoff quarterback ever.

Reaction score
First of all, I love it when people say "miracle run" or "lucked into it" (you didn't use this, but I have heard it many times). Super Bowls are hard to win.

And yes. The defense played well in that game against a poo poo platter of assorted quarterbacks. Though the defense played well and I give them all the credit in the world, I also recall them getting sliced up way too often by Caleb fricken Hanne in the second half. Now, Rodgers also threw up a goose egg in the second half to be fair.

Rodgers played well. Not good enough to his standards, but he did set the tone early with an opening drive touchdown, and then another touchdown to open up the second quarter. Threw two picks, but one of them bounced off of Driver's foot. Unfortunate break for the Packers, and the pick by Urlacher I don't think Rodgers ever seen him, totally his fault, but he also made a touchdown saving tackle on that same play! Also, I think we were inside the 10 on that drive. There were multiple drives that stalled in Chicago territory, so it's not like Rodgers couldn't move the ball for the entre game or something.

In those temps in a high pressure game, he wasn't gonna go 30-35 for 380 and 4 TD's. Those are games that your defense BETTER help you win. A few more efforts like that over the past 6 years since then would have been extremely nice.

Even that game granted, he was great throughout the playoffs and was great in the Super Bowl. And yes, he got a huge assist on a pick 6, but he played great in that Super Bowl, and the Super Bowl run in general.

Add up the # of times Rodgers was the reason for losing in the playoffs v.s. the defense and it's no where near equal. That defense was so great because they were so opportunistic, and that's why we win the Super Bowl. Without that, we don't win it all regardless of what Rodgers does so I give the defense all the credit it deserves for winning that year. But let's try not to paint this false narrative that Rodgers postseason career has been a disappointment when he has better overall playoff numbers than the greatest playoff quarterback ever.
Good post, but to be fair he doesn't have better playoff numbers than Joe Montana when you factor in the era played

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Good post, but to be fair he doesn't have better playoff numbers than Joe Montana when you factor in the era played
Well when I say greatest playoff quarterback I was referring to Brady, maybe incorrectly. It's debatable. Brady has the most wins and tied for the most rings. And has 2 more appearances than Montana in the SB.

I can certainly see an argument made for either Montana or Brady, but there's absolutely no denying that Rodgers' numbers across the board are better in the playoffs than Brady. But no one wants to mention or acknowledge that. Not you, but others. And it drives me crazy because it's such a narrow minded approach. The quarterback position is the most impactful of them all, but quarterback success is predicated on so many uncontrollable factors that it's not fair to judge a quarterback strictly based on records.

It's easy to look at 22-9 vs 7-6. That's the easy, convenient argument. I choose to dig deeper.

Now, all that being said, if Rodgers wants to get into that "greatest" ever category, he'll need atleast another ring or two. Just the way it is. But on pure talent and God given ability, he's certainly the best that my eyes have ever seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that Rodgers is sometimes unfairly criticized for his playoff performances there's no doubt he had a bad game vs. the Bears in the NFCCG as Caleb Hanie had a higher passer rating in that one than him (55.4).

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A loss Sunday and Rodgers will be 2-3 at Lambeau field in the playoffs. With one of those wins being against a Joe Webb led Vikings team. Eli will of had more playoff wins in Lambeau. Favre won his first 6 home playoff games. After that? 2 -3. Starr never lost at home in the playoffs.

Rodgers is the most talented of the three. He is the most productive when it comes to stats. Playoffs matter though. He's been "okay" since the SB run.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A loss Sunday and Rodgers will be 2-3 at Lambeau field in the playoffs. With one of those wins being against a Joe Webb led Vikings team. Eli will of had more playoff wins in Lambeau. Favre won his first 6 home playoff games. After that? 2 -3. Starr never lost at home in the playoffs.

Rodgers is the most talented of the three. He is the most productive when it comes to stats. Playoffs matter though. He's been "okay" since the SB run.
The defense was garbage against the Giants. Favre's defenses played exceptionally well, never giving up over 20 points during that span.

D

Deleted member 6794

The defense was garbage against the Giants. Favre's defenses played exceptionally well, never giving up over 20 points during that span.

In addition the game vs. the Niners in 2013 was only Rodgers' second back after breaking his collarbone that season.

Squonk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he is, and Favre second, Starr third. At one time I loved Brett Favre, but his prima-donna antics each off-season-- "should I stay, or should I go?" -- or better yet--"should I become a traitor?" Ever since then, I couldn't stand him. Yet all my GB fans that live here close to me and are friends, still love the guy.

Reaction score
In Business dealings I've learned to stay away From using "Best, Most and Free
For instance you can't say "this is the best interest rate".
However You CAN say "most competitive rate available" "Many" or "included"
or make the assertion you have to buy into something first to get one free
I think it's because those words are considered misleading and can't be quantified without some more specific parameters.
E.g, Like best TD to INT or best yardage
Or best on the final drive behind by 3 etc.. just saying "best" is purely conjecture and you can't win that debate unless you have the best answer most of the time and offer it freely

Either way.. I'll take Lynn ****ey ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he is, and Favre second, Starr third. At one time I loved Brett Favre, but his prima-donna antics each off-season-- "should I stay, or should I go?" -- or better yet--"should I become a traitor?" Ever since then, I couldn't stand him. Yet all my GB fans that live here close to me and are friends, still love the guy.
Not sure why whether you like him or not matters with regard to his greatness as a QB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts