Is Aaron Rodgers an elite QB?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or is it too soon to think of him as such?
Drew Brees won a SB yet he isn't really thought of as one.
What's the difference?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Brees is an elite QB.

The media/fans/players/commentators put Manning and Brady in a class by themselves though. Rodgers either has to have an epic season numbers wise or win another trophy for him to be put in that class by the media/fans/players/ect. A reg season MVP wouldnt hurt the argument either.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's just time. He's only started for 3 seasons. He's got everything else(Superbowl MVP and Title) and is on track to match proportionate numbers with Brady, Manning, and Brees. Give him another 3 years and everyone will unanimously give him the "elite" label.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its interesting to note that its starting to change. Peter King of Sports Illustrated put out his top 100 players list. He has Rodgers at #2 behind Brady. I completely agree with his reasoning. Brady threw 36 TDs to 4 Ints last season. One of the greatest seasons I have ever seen from a QB. But its valid to put him ahead of Mannings, who has serious injury concerns and is 35 years old. The past two seasons Rodgers has been the better QB when compared with Manning.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Or is it too soon to think of him as such?
Drew Brees won a SB yet he isn't really thought of as one.
What's the difference?

Brees is an elite QB and I would disagree with you. I think most people do think of Brees as an elite QB. Although just winning a super bowl doesn't make you elite, (Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning prove that) the rest of Rodgers play speaks for itself. The stats are there. The work ethic is there. He is a super bowl MVP.

I can't think of any other qb in the league I would rather have on my team right now. If I were starting an NFL team and I could have any quarterback in the league to start a franchise with.....definitely Rodgers.

He IS elite.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A-Rod is number one on a list of QBs over on Yahoo! sports.
I don't think they are calling him elite, but the QB to watch this season. And I agree.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering everything, regular season performance, postseason performance, team achievements, awards, clutch play, in the last 3 years, there wasn't a better QB than Aaron Rodgers.

And, here's a question. If you could choose any QB to have next year, who would you choose? I have no doubt that it would be Rodgers. And even if you wouldn't pick Rodgers, you can't find 3 guys you'd rather have than Rodgers. And even if you go to the extreme lenghts of trying to rationalize a way to say there are 3 guys you'd rather have than Rodgers, no one can make a serious case that, with Rodgers at the helm for the 2011 season, your team wouldn't be extremely well served at QB, and you wouldn't have a shot at winning it all with him.

So, yes. He is elite right now. And will probably be for quite some time. So, enjoy the ride. Packers fans are trully blessed. Only the 49ers can say as well that they've had back-to-back elite, HoF bound QBs. Some Packers fans have never had to go through a season where there was doubt about the QB.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees is an elite QB and I would disagree with you. I think most people do think of Brees as an elite QB.
I respect that.

Even though I don't pay that much attention to sports media, I haven't really seen or heard too many claim that Brees is elite.
Is it more of a matter of personal opinion or did I miss something?
(Brees is #5 on that Yahoo! list.)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
side note, peter king has Rodgers, Matthews, and Williams in his top 20 nfl players of 2011. thats very impressive

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I see Rodgers as an elite QB, his first three seasons stat wise were very impressive. And what more would it take for him, other than league MVP? And if he has a tough season this year, doesn't every QB have at least one bad year?

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who doesn't consider Brees elite? Rodgers may have some doubters left but he is as good as anyone at the postion right now.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
side note, peter king has Rodgers, Matthews, and Williams in his top 20 nfl players of 2011. thats very impressive

I think Tramon Williams is one of the most underrated players in the league. I think he will have a big year and get his due respect this season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Tramon Williams is one of the most underrated players in the league. I think he will have a big year and get his due respect this season.

Its nice to know we locked him up last season before he fully broke out. Cant believe we got a shut down corner like him, its amazing that TT can pull these guys out of nowhere.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you could exclude Rodgers. The only distinction is that he hasn't done as long, but that cuts both ways as he has gotten to the top fast.

Do I think Brees is better? Well yeah, but I realize I am biased. The distinctions between these top guys is not worth arguing over, IMO.

I think Steve Young had the best take on this (thugh he wasn't talking about Rodgers at the time -- 09 game NO vs NE). Young's point was that these guys are playing at such a high level that they have the position down to an art, and you really can't say one artist is "better" than the other. Each is best for his team.

Fortunately for you guys Rodgers is so young. If you were selecting one QB for a team his youth would probably make the difference. (Although I would still say screw it, I am taking Brees).

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say he is. He puts up as good as/better numbers than the "Elite" QBs, and he has a Super Bowl Ring.

I thought what separated the "Elite" from the others in the first place was a Super Bowl Ring... But that's just me...

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Bears fans consider him to be elite... That should tell you all you need to know.

Cliffs notes... Our QB is elite. I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is an elite quarterback. Brees is too. P. Manning and Brady as well. Its a no brainer when Rodgers does what he did this last year. Not much of a running game and he made it happen with his arm. All he needed was confidence and now he is brimming with it. I think looking at him now and seeing Favre at his age - Rodgers has loads more patience and poise. What is to come could be really incredible if Rodger's supporting cast continues on this path. And for all Rodgers skill, he keeps it pretty low key compared to others.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only the most head-up-their-bum Favre fan would say he wasn't Elite. Speaking of that one, lets hope MM sticks around for a good long time. The thing that screwed up our last qb was after he became "elite" Holgrem left and we got stuck with coaches that just fed his ego instead of did what was best for the team first.

Staff online

Members online