IRVIN WRONG TO RIP FAVRE

Zero2Cool80

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
profootballtalk.com said:
For a guy who lives in a stained-glass and powdered-mirror palace, Michael Irvin sure loves to toss the boulders.

His most recent target is Packers quarterback Brett Favre, whom Irvin blames for the current predicament facing receiver Javon Walker.

Walker stayed away from the team's entire offseason program in protest of a rookie deal that pays him $515,000 in 2005 and $650,000 in 2006. Based on his 2004 Pro Bowl season (which came on the heels of two average-to-mediocre campaigns), Walker wanted to cash in, hoping to be paid (so we heard) like Randy Moss.

Said Favre in early May, when Walker's intentions became clear: "If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way."

Walker eventually showed up for training camp. And in the first game of the regular season, Walker tore an ACL. He's done for 2005, and likely won't see a new contract in Green Bay until he proves in 2006 that he is healthy and still effective.

Irvin blames the whole thing on Favre.

[quote=" Dylan B. Tomlinson
":3g1iw45u]"Now, this is a story here," Irvin said Thursday, according to The Palm Beach Post. "This boy came back into camp because of Brett Favre. The great Brett Favre. This is not some rookie quarterback calling him out when he was asking for his money. This is the great Brett Favre. . . .

"I love Brett, I appreciate Brett," Irvin added. "But Brett should know business is business. You don't mess with another man's business.

"Now, what do you do, Brett? If I'm Brett, how you can walk in the room when you just did surgery to say, 'Hey, man, I'm sorry this has happened?' How could you do it? How could you look that man in his eyes?"

We haven't been, won't be, and never will be Brett Favre sycophants. There are already too many of them out there. But on this point Irvin is way, way off.

The flaw in Irvin's reasoning is that Walker showed up for camp because of Favre's comments. Not true, based on our knowledge of the situation. Walker didn't report because of Brett Favre, but because of the many thousands of dollars Walkers would have lost if he didn't show.

For starters, the Packers would have been able to recover a big chunk of Walker's bonus money if he had breached his contract by not reporting to camp. Likewise, if Walker had failed to report by August 8, he would have lost a year's credit toward free agency. He also would have been susceptible to daily fines.

If the holdout had lasted into the regular season, he would have lost more than $30,000 per week in game checks. And if he'd missed more than 10 regular-season games, Walker's contract would have been tolled for a year.

The other flaw in Irvin's argument is the presumption that the Packers would have caved in and paid Walker if he had held out. The team, however, made it clear that Walker wouldn't get a new contract this year. The fact that Walker didn't hold out suggests that he and his agent found the team's commitment in this regard credible.

So money talks much louder than does Brett Favre or anyone else. It's convenient for those of limited cognitive abilities (inherent and/or chemical-induced) to blame Favre, but we suggest that before Irvin or anyone else points to Brett as the reason for Walker's present twist of fate, they consider the facts.

The facts, of course, don't always fit with the agendas of guys like Irvin, who never lets reality get in the way of yet another chance to draw attention to himself.

And the notion of Irvin criticizing anyone is curious, to say the least. As one high-level league insider opined on Friday morning, "For a guy that has as many skeletons in his closet and past transgressions in life, the guy is awfully opinionated and judgmental about people. . . . [He] represents an angle of the game that is bad for football -- just like him supporting the two idiots that got into a brawl" prior to Monday night's Eagles-Falcons game.

The whole thing makes us wonder why the NFL hasn't pressured ESPN to put a sweat sock in Irvin's stew shoot. Although we like the idea that someone/anyone is willing to actually express opinions other than "Michael Vick is the greatest quarterback ever to play the game," a guy spouting off takes that are misguided and misinformed isn't a good thing.

If the NFL was able to squeeze Bristol's balls into dropping its former show Playmakers, our guess is that the league office eventually will suggest to ESPN that it might want to consider dropping a former playmaker who will only make more trouble if no one calls him out and/or shuts him up.
[/quote:3g1iw45u]On Wednesday, Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said he didn’t regret criticizing teammate Javon Walker for threatening to hold out.

Walker didn’t hold out, he arrived on time for training camp and never said a disparaging word about Favre, the franchise or anyone.

In the season opener, Walker tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and is out for the season.

On Thursday, former Dallas Cowboys receiver and ESPN NFL analyst Michael Irvin said Favre owes Walker an apology.

“Now this is a story here,â€

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how a guy whose rap sheet is longer than almost all professional athletes has any right to speak about anyone else's character or behavior at all.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Irvin is an example of the continued ghetto-ization of the NFL. That little hootenany before kickoff of the Eagles/Falcons game is just the latest incident, and the fact that he condones it is testimony to that fact.

Dear God, I hope I do not see this beloved game go the way of the NBA!!

Yes, with his rap sheet he shouldn't be chucking rocks. Guys a punk..always has been, always will be. Like his energy, hate the noise he makes.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
DePack said:
Why do they let him speak?

No one is perfect and we need to be reminded of the stupidity of others to make us feel better??

He's a waste of space.
Righto, Slick - You guys remember him wearin' all the **** gear?
Got caught with a trunk full of the white stuff... which suddenly disappeared and no charges were forthcoming.... at least that was the end result.... (???) Guy's a crook - and ESPN continually spritis these guys to the top of the food chain (Ray Lewis, anyone?) for Role Models.... You'd think they were handling the Rap Music World Artists from yer local prison....

It's the number one reason I won't waste too much time with ESPN.
'Course, John Salley's not makin' any brownie (joke?) points with me these days, either...

It's the Press these days, I guess - rotten agenda, to say the least.
Michael Irvin gets kudos from Tom Jackson
Mayor of NO gets a free pass for not using the buses to evacuate the City before the flood.
Same deal with the Governor... whatever...!
I see no difference in the agendas.....

Back to football... Good call, Slick.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are no stupid questions...just stupid people. He's either railing on someone or just plain railing still. He has as much credibility as "Dom DeLouise's Workout" tape. Though he was pretty good in Longest Yard.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, here's my opinion on the Javon Walker money thing:

All I can say is too damn bad. Why does he deserve more money because he gets injured? That's ludicrous. You play your contract. If you don't want to get injured don't sign the contract and stay out of football.

Javon knew the risks he was taking by playing professional football. How does that garner him any more cash?

I don't think he has the right to any more money, nor is he no more entitled to it than the next guy. Too damn bad if you get injured. Get a real job like the rest of us.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Michael Irvin is an example of the continued ghetto-ization of the NFL. That little hootenany before kickoff of the Eagles/Falcons game is just the latest incident, and the fact that he condones it is testimony to that fact.

Dear God, I hope I do not see this beloved game go the way of the NBA!!

Yes, with his rap sheet he shouldn't be chucking rocks. Guys a punk..always has been, always will be. Like his energy, hate the noise he makes.
I AGREE DIGS. Irvin carries no credibility with me. One of the biggest biggots on ESPN. I'm waiting for the bomb to be dropped on him. Something in his past will come up and the whole sports world will really dump on him. I'm not defending Favre, because Brett did nothing wrong. I'ts Irvin that opens his pie hole before he thinks. So I consider the source. It just scares the hell out of me that the media actually listens and wires his remarks around as legit commentary. I hope to think this will only backfire on the coke sniffer. He'll try to back pedal but won't have a leg to stand on when scenarios of his past will be brought up. He'll probably just wave his hands wildly and say something stupid like "that was then, this is now!" over and over. I believe Favre won't even comment or say "everybody has their own opinion and right to say whatever" and carry on. Like Irvin knows the meaning of "TEAM". sheesh :loser:

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a racist against coke sniffers and dealers and hypocrytes. NOW BACK TO FOOTBALL, SORRY RYAN

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is nothing racist about it. Sports as a whole is reflecting the popular cultural movement in this country. To me, that pre-game incident looked more like gangs squaring off than professional sports. And to condone it in any capacity is deplorable..black, white red, yellow or purple...it was low-rent ghetto ********. And I am not referringto the Trotter/Mathis incident, I am referring to the squads squaring off.

Utter garbage...and it would be in hockey as well, 66!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee 66 throwing out the race card. Man I defended you when everyone thought you were chase. But using the race card is very chasely!

Ghetto-ization is not racist because it comes from my brother digs.....but it is borderline! That's why you gotta love digs.....he knows how to walk that fine line!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Irvin should blame Rosenhaus instead, as I read Javon is considering canning him.

I think the following statement from the article says it best:

"It's convenient for those of limited cognitive abilities (inherent and/or chemical-induced) to blame Favre"

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
seems to be some racism slipping into this board..hmmmm...
Wrong. The word "ghetto" is not a black thing. There are ghettos all over the world and are inhabited by people of all colors. Seeing the gang banging, thug life, look at the **** attitude that is killing the NBA work its way into the NFL is not a good sign. I believe that Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and Reggie White were all black football players and they carried themselves with the dignity that any grown man should.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the world were just Irvin would be making those comments from a prison cell.JMHO

Also, why do they keep insisting on not including Javon's signing bonus every time they talk about his income. If they don't want to include it, he should give it back.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesehog said:
I'm a racist against coke sniffers and dealers and hypocrytes. NOW BACK TO FOOTBALL, SORRY RYAN
You are right. P@ck66 lists his occupation as "farmer" so I doubt that he has had very much experience with the ghetto other then seeing it on TV. I on the other hand grew up on the West side of Chicago and have seen it up close and personal. Believe me there is nothing hip, cool, cultural or fascinating about this way of life. Trying to sugar coat the truth under the old stand by cry of racism is naive and counterproductive.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depack..

(i never mentioned "who" was being racist...in my post..but since you brought it up...)

Do we ever hear anybody stand up and decry the WHITE trailer trash thugs who can't skate, but are primarily in the NHL as intimidators and goons to start fights and maybe take the opposing teams star player out of the game?

Does anybody stand up and say it seems like the "TRAILERIZATION" or "CRACKERIZATION" of the NHL?

Say what you will..but I think alot of this falls along "racial" lines...We still have a problem with racism in this country..and if you don't agree..you're just not being honest..or realistic.....This is a deep and complicated issue in this country and should not be glossed over or sloganeered away....

I think it even applies to the way fans feel about some players who want to renegotiate their contracts...the race factor, that is...if you think about..you will realize that this is true.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is for everybody ----- (from MTV, circa the 80's)

A commercial

Prejudice & Discrimination.....

....are borne of Ignorance & Fear.

And Ignorant People should never be allowed to breed!

Now - while that may seem harsh... to the "I feel your pain" crowd....
It does strike to the heart of the matter...

Prejudice and Discrimination are environmental.... meaning, it's "taught"...
Taught to the next generation by - a lot of times.... Parents.....

I'd rather walk on past that nonsense and get to real life! How about you?
It's a better way of demonstrating real strength, whereas imitating that offensive behavior is admitting how weak you really are...

JMHO

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
This is for everybody ----- (from MTV, circa the 80's)

A commercial

....are borne of Ignorance & Fear.

And Ignorant People should never be allowed to breed!

Now - while that may seem harsh... to the "I feel your pain" crowd....
It does strike to the heart of the matter...

I'd rather walk on past that nonsense and get to real life! How about you?
It's a better way of demonstrating real strength, whereas imitating that offensive behavior is admitting how weak you really are...

JMHO

Is that not true? Well said.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:

....are borne of Ignorance & Fear.[

JMHO

Stupidity and lack of respect are also taught from generation to generation. Let's not give people like Michael Irvin a free pass on being a a**hole by acting as if it were just a cultural difference. Don't claim that you want to be treated as equal and then cry when you are treated as just that.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya, PHIL... but I do think that phrase says it all... all others adjectives and adverbs and descriptives are borne of what I've posted... It actually bases its methodology from a book I had for my Psych & Socialology Classes...

Sad part is..half the time the applying of such actions are so ingrained that they don't understand it might be wrong... Others just think there should be two sets of standards, instead of one united community.. you can spot 'em in a NY minute.

Irvin will get his along the way! So will Tom Jackson, and any other bandwagon rider for that nonsense.... Somewhere, someone will apply their own tactics right back at them... which they will not be able to handle....bet on it.

Members online

Latest posts