Irrationality

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Okay, let me first just say that I would have been more than fine with a WR in round 1 last night if the right player or move presented itself.

But someone help me understand this.

The Packers have a fantastic track record of taking receivers after round 1 and developing them into fantastic NFL players.

And yet a certain, large segment of the fan base is obsessed with the idea that they must take one in the first round.

Why?

If your team has demonstrated this ability to find great players at a particular position outside of round 1, in what world does it make sense for them to force a selection of a guy at that position in round 1? That's so irrational.

It's like someone who is really savvy at finding excellent deals on lightly used cars and they decide to go pay the premium for one on the dealer lot because... they haven't done it that way for a while? Makes no sense.

And it makes even less sense this year when the WR market has been artificially inflated by bad franchises giving out bad contracts.

Honestly, my best theory is that people have listened to media types say "no 1st round receiver since Javon Walker" so many times that they just accept that statement as being really important and meaningful without even thinking about it.

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did the javon walker pick go. Nelson Adams Jennings Cobb even third round James Jones was better than walker. Got two good players and running mates with two established pro bowlers. Defense is gonna be pretty good for a while

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, let me first just say that I would have been more than fine with a WR in round 1 last night if the right player or move presented itself.

The Packers have a fantastic track record of taking receivers after round 1 and developing them into fantastic NFL players.

And yet a certain, large segment of the fan base is obsessed with the idea that they must take one in the first round.

Why?

If your team has demonstrated this ability to find great players at a particular position outside of round 1, in what world does it make sense for them to force a selection of a guy at that position in round 1? That's so irrational.

It's like someone who is really savvy at finding excellent deals on lightly used cars and they decide to go pay the premium for one on the dealer lot because... they haven't done it that way for a while? Makes no sense.

And it makes even less sense this year when the WR market has been artificially inflated by bad franchises giving out bad contracts.

Honestly, my best theory is that people have listened to media types say "no 1st round receiver since Javon Walker" so many times that they just accept that statement as being really important and meaningful without even thinking about it.
Because they all play fantasy football?
Because they think media talk, former players and internet mocks are the definitive answer in player assessment?

Bunch of amateurs talking amongst themselves, hearing the same thing echoed back at them eventually becomes their "truth".

Scouts and GM's seldom talk, and for good reason. THEY are the professionals.

Forget the noise of the screaming banshees. Watch closely, and listen closely to the professionals.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did the javon walker pick go. Nelson Adams Jennings Cobb even third round James Jones was better than walker. Got two good players and running mates with two established pro bowlers. Defense is gonna be pretty good for a while
Javon Walker was a home run. His third season was one of the most dominant receiving seasons ever, logging 1300 yards and a higher yards per target than Davante Adams ever logged in his career.

Had he not shredded his knee and had Favre not crossed the picket line on him, he'd probably have had a long and great NFL career.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why?

I'm guessing it's because of the unique immediacy of the need. When all of those receivers were taken, there were proven starters already on the roster so none of them had to produce their rookie years.

I like Tolbert and Skyy Moore so I'm not too worried. I also like the idea of signing Julio.

Reaction score
Another point is this. Rodgers earned 2 individual (back to back) MVP awards throwing to zero 1st Round WR over a 33 game period.

Either through intentional (trying to push a narrative) or non intentional (lack of education or awareness or both) there is a push by the media to debase our team. I think a big part is because it makes for a juicy story.

The truth is that our current WR room today is NOT what it will look like during the course of this season. There’s lots of work to be done to round out receiving targets. What’s irrational is to pass judgement on a team with just 13% of the draft completed as if regular season starts tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why?

I'd be perfectly happy if the Packers traded into the top of the second round to draft a WR (see Tee Higgins). The issue is that the Packers no longer have much time to wait on raw receivers to figure things out, they've built a team with a MASSIVE hole at receiver and drafting a project at 53 is, at best, going to be a year or two away from being a good NFL receiver. When the team constantly puts off replenishing a position then at some point that position becomes what I would refer to as a massive weakness.

The issue this season is that the Packers are, currently, counting on Rodgers to lead an offense that is bereft of any receiving threats. Sure, during the season against bad teams the offense is gonna look swell. What happens when the Packers play a good playoff defense, but this time with the illustrious Sammy Watkins as the primary receiver? Fans whine about Rodgers not producing against the 49ers, wait until a defense can cover the team's wide receivers with linebackers.

I personally think this is Gute's way of ensuring no more MVPs for Rodgers...he's okay with drafting a wasted backup behind a consecutive MVP winner, but three straight MVPs for Rodgers would make Gute feel bad.:D

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves guys. The drumbeat of hysteria that the Packer must take a receiver in round 1 extends back beyond this draft.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but I will say this current Packer team has not been all that successful in developing any WR.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree but I will say this current Packer team has not been all that successful in developing any WR.

MVS was a 5th round pick who became a viable starter and earned a significant second deal.

Beyond that, they haven’t tried too hard yet. We will see if that changes today.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a Packer fan thing. Football is entertainment and people get upset about anything that might potentially interfere with their enjoyment of said entertainment or complain about something that diminishes their enjoyment in any manner. Even if they would have picked a WR, there would have been a subset of people upset that it wasn't the right WR, if a trade up then upset that they gave up too much and so forth. It is the same thing that happens when the Packer's win. It wasn't by enough, they allowed a team to hang around, too many yards given up.. etc.

This isn't limited to football. Pick something entertainment related and people complain. This character wasn't written right, I don't like that line of dialogue, this character wouldn't do that.. etc, etc.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Fan," short for "fanatical." Fans (myself included) are not well known for rationality. And that's OK. It's fun to have passion for something like a sports team. It makes things more fun.

The person who needs to be rational is Brian Gutekunst. And he is.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves guys. The drumbeat of hysteria that the Packer must take a receiver in round 1 extends back beyond this draft.

I am fine with 2nd round receievers, even 3rd round guys. The problem is that the receiver group has become so bereft of talent that getting someone who can play at a decent level ASAP becomes more and more paramount. If the receiver group has some good players under contract then you can wait on young guys to develop. Packers not really in that position at the moment.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am fine with 2nd round receievers, even 3rd round guys. The problem is that the receiver group has become so bereft of talent that getting someone who can play at a decent level ASAP becomes more and more paramount. If the receiver group has some good players under contract then you can wait on young guys to develop. Packers not really in that position at the moment.

Ok, yea I get that.

But they could draft a receiver or two and then sign someone like Will Fuller or OBJ or both.

They could still fill out the corps with respectable NFL targets and be fine.

But so many fans pigeon hole themselves into thinking we must have a receiver in round 1 right now.

Realistically, Will Fuller stands a better chance of giving them a deep threat, for instance, than Jameson Williams (in 2022) for instance.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, yea I get that.

But they could draft a receiver or two and then sign someone like Will Fuller or OBJ or both.

They could still fill out the corps with respectable NFL targets and be fine.

But so many fans pigeon hole themselves into thinking we must have a receiver in round 1 right now.

Realistically, Will Fuller stands a better chance of giving them a deep threat, for instance, than Jameson Williams (in 2022) for instance.

which is funny to me because they all want a WR that we can rely on now. If you are looking beyond 2022 then yeah, a rookie is probably a better choice but so many want to give Rodgers the best tools right away and that is probably not a rookie.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don’t care about what round the Packers draft a receiver or how they go about addressing the position. But the inescapable reality is that the Packers have a glaring need at WR, which existed even before knowing Davante wouldn’t be here.

And as of the present, I’m less than impressed with the methods with which the Packers have went about addressing it.

Reaction score
MVS was a 5th round pick who became a viable starter and earned a significant second deal.

Beyond that, they haven’t tried too hard yet. We will see if that changes today.
Yeah. Plus the jury is still out on Lazard. If he has another modest increase off his 500+ yd 8TD season?
Also he’s had 11 rec 200yd 18.2 avg 1TD in playoffs.
ZERO career fumbles

I think we can call him a success also, as in his case he was poached off the Jags Practice Squad

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Plus the jury is still out on Lazard. If he has another modest increase off his 500+ yd 8TD season?
I think we can call him a success also as he was poached off the Jags Practice Squad

If Lazard isn’t already a success to someone I’d argue they are clueless at grading prospects and success stories of players.

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon Walker was a home run. His third season was one of the most dominant receiving seasons ever, logging 1300 yards and a higher yards per target than Davante Adams ever logged in his career.

Had he not shredded his knee and had Favre not crossed the picket line on him, he'd probably have had a long and great NFL career.
Idk about homerun, took three years to have that season. If we moved up and got Jameson and he had one ok season 2nd year and one great season 3rd year then reshreaded his knee. Would you consider that a homerun considering what we would of had to give up. Jordy Jennings Cobb even James Jones was rd 3. Idk I like filling weak links on defense first round then the kid from Dakota is a stud athlete best in the draft imo. I’m calling him to have a way better career than walker

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why?

How about the Packers consistently not trying to find those great players in those rounds for multiple seasons in a row and watching the depth at that position group wither until it's honestly one of the worst groups in the league? The issue with waiting until something is a dire need right now is that the team is forced to forego the process of letting the guy develop behind other excellent players. I could care less about round 1 receivers; what I care about is moving up to draft a backup QB and ignoring two great receivers that could help this team much more while also prioritizing backup RB and a FB ahead of known needs at receiver.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How about the Packers consistently not trying to find those great players in those rounds for multiple seasons in a row and watching the depth at that position group wither until it's honestly one of the worst groups in the league? The issue with waiting until something is a dire need right now is that the team is forced to forego the process of letting the guy develop behind other excellent players. I could care less about round 1 receivers; what I care about is moving up to draft a backup QB and ignoring two great receivers that could help this team much more while also prioritizing backup RB and a FB ahead of known needs at receiver.

All fair.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Also he’s had 11 rec 200yd 18.2 avg 1TD in playoffs.
ZERO career fumbles

I think we can call him a success also, as in his case he was poached off the Jags Practice Squad
Plus a solid blocker

D

Deleted member 6794

Let me first be clear about me not having an issue with the Packers not spending a first rounder on a wide receiver in this year's draft. But it's also irrational to expect one being selected in the second round to end up being successful just because the Packers had success in the past drafting players at the position in that round.

I disagree that MVS was a viable starter for the Packers at any point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts