1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Iranian-born Swedish soccer player stopped at airport check

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Dagento, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Dagento

Dagento Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Behrang Safari stopped in US security check

One player was caught in the security check, and three others got lost at the airport - all four of them missed the plane to San José.
    — Not good at all; it's unfortunate. I've never seen anything like this, says Team Sweden official Lars Richt to TT.

It's not easy these days, and it's quite a distance to Costa Rica in Central America.
    Four of the players in the Swedish national soccer team didn't meet up with the other team-mates in time and didn't arrive until late Wednesday, Swedish time. As a result, they missed the first training on Proyecto Gol in the outskirts of San José.

Malmö FF defender Behrang Safari was caught in the passport/security control in Houston and was held for so long that he missed the plane.

"In Behrang's case, I think it's about origin. That's why he got the extra attention", says Richt.
    Safari is of Iranian origin (he was born in Teheran in 1985) and the relations between the United States and Iran have been very tense. Especially since naval units from the two countries were close to a confrontation at the Strait of Hormuz.
    Team Sweden officials didn't want to leave Safari alone, so he was accompanied by assisting coach Roland Andersson in Houston. They were booked into a plane to San José the next day.

His older brother had a year before been interigated for three hours when he was stopped in a passport control when he were trying to get into the U.S.A. He got chocked by the news when he read that his younger brother has also been exposed by the same thing[/align]

[​IMG]

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Re: Iranian-born Swedish soccer player stopped at airport ch

With the terrorism so prevalent in our world today, they have to be cautious and at times it seems over the top. But what would you rather have? People checked, or allowed to come and go, with that allowing another 9/11 incident?

3. Dagento

Dagento Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [align=left]I just think it strange that they interigate a proffesional athlete. I don´t know how many athtletes that are terrorists. What did they excpect him to do bomb something on his way to his national team meating on Costa Rica? I personaly would take it as an insult and I would like to see the Swedens soccer team stand up for him. [/align]

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Fact is........if they DON'T check everyone, then there are some "politically correct" people that will shout out "racial profiling!" if we just check the people that would more appear to be what the terrorists are.
    I have heard where elderly people have been strip searched at airports.........now, who thinks some 70 plus year old white man is gonna be carrying a bomb? But we have to be "PC", or the "PC POLICE" will start screaming.
    I know...........it's STUPID. But to me, "political correctness" is stupid.
    JMO

5. Dagento

Dagento Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [align=left]He wasn´t just simply checked or so, he was questioned and interigated for over three hours by CIA agents[/align]

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well, they have more info in the CIA then we do, so there must have been a reason. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. They may have had a valid reason.
    I'd rather have them follow through then take a chance.

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, security is what causes the problem in the first place.
    Taking a nail cutter from a 70-year-old woman does NOT make us more secure. Neither does taking a cigarette lighter from a college girl.

Under a hostage situation, you admit you're dead already. Then you attack with intent to kill the terrorists. You do what they did on Flight-93. You do NOT sit around and wait to be rescued.

The problem is, security has made us insecure. It's totally Orwellian. I'd rather see them handing out everyone, terrorists included, a Kabar. 90 passengers vs 4 terrorists, all with Kabars? I like my odds. Honestly, I'd have fun slicing and dicing terrorists. Imagine how Al Queda would feel if they found out that all the planes landed safely, and 16 passengers bled to death, but all the terrorists were cut to pieces, literally. 9-11 would have never happened.

4 terrorists against 90 unarmed passengers? Now, I don't like that so much.

Plus, airport security are generally barely above retarded. Is it possible to hire someone with brains? Apparently not. I've NEVER seen a profession with less intelligence.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Re: Iranian-born Swedish soccer player stopped at airport ch

How true Zombie..........they hire less then secure security people.