IPBprez went and wrote a article... there goes the Tundra...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yepper - that's right, I went and actually wrote a real article.. not just a discertation for the message board....

RYAN should have it uploaded soon... watch for it...

More to come in the form of uploaded pics under my profile later on tonight. Keep checking back...

Go Pack Go!

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: IPBprez went and wrote a article... there goes the Tundr

Done. On the homepage.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didnt know we could shamelessly plug our articles on the forum. read my article too then. I am IPBprez's inspiration.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually, Tromadz.. while I would not mind at all, giving you the lion's share of why I started writing articles.... I defer to Packernation, a longtime comrade and FTO brother... for having inspired me to take a stab at this....

You do pretty well on your own.. you don't need my muddy boots in the way....

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
I didnt know we could shamelessly plug our articles on the forum. read my article too then. I am IPBprez's inspiration.

Says the guy with a link to his topic in his signature...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hey, ur an advocate of the advertising in signature, dont you sass me! And everyone read our articles...and if you signed up a while back in the first palce, write one yourself!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPB-What was your take on the benching of RaShard? J.K., good article, and I cannot wait to get a chance to go to my first Lambeau game.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good Article, I would like the guys that back Sherman uncondicionally to read the parts about THE TEAM and how distant he seems to be from his players... A HC MUST BE ABLE to fire up his players, and Mike is not able to fire up himself..

I will be there for the november 21st monday night game and I think that all Packer fans MUST bring their portable phones and have someone call them at the same time, lets say KICKOFF this seems to really fire up Sherman !!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPB.....OK......you asked for an honest opinion, right? It sounds like you had a good time but I think you obviously had some preconceived opinions about our fine coach. Complaining that he isn't Bill Cowher doesn't make sense. Every coach has his own personality. Did you ever see Tom Landry or Don Shula go around and "pound guys on the shoulder pads"? Obviously you started the game looking for things to pick on Sherman about. Comparing your job as a president of a fan club to that of an NFL coach is....how can I say this politely?...a bit arrogant. Lee was taken out after the fumble just like Green is at times and just like Davenport is at times. Gado came in and started off real well so Sherm stuck with him. My guess is that if he took out Gado after a couple series' you would be complaining about that coaching move.

Other than that.....I liked it!

And Chamuka.......they are referred to as CELL PHONES....not portable phones!

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd rather he called them portable phones than saying things like "ring me on my mobile" like the dandies in England!:mrgreen:

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
IPB.....OK......you asked for an honest opinion, right? It sounds like you had a good time but I think you obviously had some preconceived opinions about our fine coach. Complaining that he isn't Bill Cowher doesn't make sense. Every coach has his own personality. Did you ever see Tom Landry or Don Shula go around and "pound guys on the shoulder pads"? Obviously you started the game looking for things to pick on Sherman about. Comparing your job as a president of a fan club to that of an NFL coach is....how can I say this politely?...a bit arrogant. Lee was taken out after the fumble just like Green is at times and just like Davenport is at times. Gado came in and started off real well so Sherm stuck with him. My guess is that if he took out Gado after a couple series' you would be complaining about that coaching move.

Other than that.....I liked it!

And Chamuka.......they are referred to as CELL PHONES....not portable phones!

Arrogant or not - create a fan club in your area as a demonstration of your fandom.. see how well it works out, with followers that is.... And, be that as it may - I did not corrolate that I was better than anyone on the Packers - I cited that our club would not necesarily exist at all, without them... but the effort needed to succeed is very comparable - one wouldn't know til they tried.. and that's the thing........

To be more clear here - I did not go in there with pre-conceived notions...
As anyone playing I-NFL would see, I chose the Packers over the smart move this last weekend, when just about everyone else had chosen Pittsburgh - that's related to supporting the WHOLE team, not just certain members of the group. IF I COMPARE anyone to another - it would be "Lombardi versus whomever" --- and even though we saw tons of write-ups early on that Sherman had a very close record to that of Vince Lombardi - we now see that his stats were padded to some extent with the Ron Wolf created Teams of his early HC career....

Certainly, Mike Sherman has "his" style... but, keeping it secreted away from the fans who are there to see the whole show, not just certain things.. (including myself) ... is a bit short-sighted. You weren't there, were you, DePack? If you had been, I'd have bought you a beer, too! We could have compared notes... - in fact, I only had two beers during the whole game, because we were watching as much as possible and trying to get ourselves on TV, for our Club to see the new Banner we had made up... (IPB homepage) .. it was a promise I had made to the VP...

Truth is, DePack - my write up is a very direct and "honest" assessment of what did go down and what didn't..... On top of that, quite a few of the others were noticing very much the same thing before the game.... even the Steeler fans. Apparently, from what I was told, Bill Cowher has the same standard approach to every pre-game warm-up.. no matter where they go. Could be why the fans still luv him so much despite being there how long (?) and still no SuperBowl.

I know what I saw... maybe he'll change - who knows - how about you go to a game without pre-conceived notions that Sherman can do no wrong... and then write up your article for PF. We'd luv to read it. I know this.. I had planned on having way more beers than what ended up... I was on vacation, ya know. It's just that I hadn't watched the pre-game warmups at my last time, for the Bears game, last year.. and this time I was damned sure gonna do that....

You have a right to see it that way, I'll give ya that - but please don't put words in other people's mouths and expect them to see something that really isn't there. -- I actualy sat there, during the second quarter, after Gado's TD and watched Favre standing at the sideline (47 yd line), with Sherman not 12 feet away, and never once for almost 4 solid minutes during the game, did these two ever look towards the other, nor speak to each other... I watched Favre walk off the field after that... and it as if nothing had occurred as far as Mike was concerned. I would have thought he'd get an attaboy... There was one Assistant that came by and had some words for Favre, but nothing at all from Sherman.

When it's there - I discuss it and point people towards it.. that's just how I am.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now I am no Sherman fan and the only reason I am not a Sherman fan is the Packers are not getting it done as a team.

Perhaps this is becuase I live in a corp. world. I do I believe there is only one person to blame when a company or team is failing, that person is the team leader or in this case coach.

There is no such thing as a bad or poor employee in the world. There is only a bad manager. For if there was a good manager that employee would be performing well or be out the door and therefore there would not be a bad employee.

Observations from the stands does not make a good article. The only reason is observations from the stands have no validity unless one has access to the players and to the locker room.

I enjoyed the article... It was well writen. But observations from the stands is like observations from over seas in a war. One needs to know what was said in the first hand all week before the battle and what was said first hand during the battle.

Could it be that the assistant came and said to Brett. "You and Mike are one and the same.... You both are so focused and yet so frustrated, look at him, look at Coach."

Could it be the reason that Brett does not want Sherman to be replaced is because as a coach and team leader they are in sync and need not speak to each other about what they both know?

Could it be that Brett get's enough personal feed back about his heart and effort during the week that Brett does not want it on game day becuase Brett and Sherman are both on the same page?

Does Sherman really need to pat a future hall of fame QB on the back?

Did Brett get where he has becuase he had a coach who always patted him on the back? I think not. I think Brett is Brett becuase of what drives him inside.

Perhaps Sherman knows that?

It is a game gentleman and ladies.... and we in the stands know little of what is really happening on the field. The reporters with access to the players know a little more than we do.

Just enjoy the feed back on your very insightful article IPB and do not take any feed back personally.

RP

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to worry RP -- not to worry.....

For my take - I would really enjoy everyone here taking time out to write a Sports Article about their favorite football team. I think it'd be great to see all the differing styles and opinions. Not to mention, RYAN wouldn't be deciding that some weren't gonna hit the presses, like they are doing over at PackerChatters. My friend, Packernation, isnot allowed to write critical statements about Brett Favre, over there... think on that.

DePack and all others are entirely free to comment as they see fit.
I got a pretty thick skin - it's necessary for a lot of what I do.

GO PACKERS!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"I got pretty thick skin"....go back and reread your response to me. You asked for an honest opinion of the article. The article IS well written but in my opinion it was an anti-Sherman piece that probably could have been written from your home PC. I appreciate the effort. There is no way I would be able to do that. Cutting back on my beer consumption?

You watched Favre and Sherman for 4 solid game minutes on the sideline? Don't you think that in itself shows a preconceived notion? And as far as "The Steeler fans love Cowher"....did you ask them how much they loved him during their lean years. He went through the same thing Sherman is going through. Had a few great years then they hit a wall and rebuilt. Steeler fans were calling for his ***...not unlike some alledged Packer fans are doing to Sherman. Their pretty glad that the Steeler's management had the patience to hang onto him now, aren't they. If the Packer's management shows the same patience you will be just as happy. If not.....we move on and root for the next headcoach.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not gonna argue with you on this DePack - apparently you're looking for out of kilter here.... I "specified a four minute review" as an example of the overall scenario - which you've just blown out of proportion.

My hope is that Sherman would be a more hands on Coach ala Mike Holmgren - that was my point --- Lombardi was very much the hands-on coach, as well. In "both" instances, the Packers - or any other team - were proven to be tremendous winners, correct?

Some Coaches, like Lindy Infante couldn't get it to a winning season because (like now) top notch players were just not there - even though Majik Man gave it a whirl, anyway --- I didn't get to see up close how Liny handled the players - it would be interesting if someone were to provide some insight from that time.

The approach to coaching style(s) was noticed all game long, btw
Singling out my four minute example aas the complete situation was an error on your part. Although I appreciate the critique.. It was, after all, my first attempt at this....

Winning makes everyone happy - somehow I don't think Cowher was intentionally avoiding inter-personal interactions betweeen the players back in their losing seasons either - he just didn't seem to be that type of coach.. THe piece is not intended to be anti-sherman, whether it comes off that way or not -- my question in the article was "How hard can it be?"

As far as I'm concerned - Coaching is more than just standing there and game-planning against the next opponent. And, with Big Ben outta the way - I figured the Pack to get this in the WIN column, even with a struggle. This time around, with one exception, I blame the players for lack of execution for not winning... Pulling the first RB because of an early fumble, to me was wrong... No one would ever get to play much in the NFL if they made that the staple diet for players.....

Coaches need to be public with their fealty for the Team - players always thrive on those interactions around other outsiders.. it builds them up - a Coach also has the right to berate a player for ******** up - heck, Lombardi did it all the time - they also won all the time, too!

Thanks for the feedback, DePack - I'll only get better at this!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fair enough....my main point was that every coach has a different personality. Hence, my example of Landry and Shula. They seemed to do alright. If players were healthy, executing properly and winning, you probably wouldn't have had a problem with Sherman's style.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

true DePack...

and if the coach's gametime decision making and play-calling wasn't so jackassed and bone-headed...we would probably not have a problem with SherRossley...

but alas..it is not so..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mommy,Daddy, Stop Fighting

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey now, you're scaring Trom!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great article, IPB. It made me feel like I was at Lambeau--and in a much better seat than the ones I've had in the past! It was valid to note the differences between Cowher and Sherman, even if you were a little more anti-Sherm than you needed to be. The benching of Rashard Lee after the fumble was the kind of move that coaches often make to send a message to a young player. It is not done with players who have already proven themselves to be reliable. Expect Lee back in the lineup this week and MUCH less likely to fumble. I'm glad to hear that the Steeler fans were well-behaved, and it sounds like you and your companions treated them well, keeping up the Lambeau reputation. Even though the Pack lost, I envy you for having been there.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DePack said:
Fair enough....my main point was that every coach has a different personality. Hence, my example of Landry and Shula. They seemed to do alright. If players were healthy, executing properly and winning, you probably wouldn't have had a problem with Sherman's style.

Truly a point to ponder... I certainly remember questioning some of Holmgren's decisions; especially during that second SuperBowl.... (suddenly Dorsey Levens wasn't good enuf? why?)

I'll admit that wining erases many questions ..for the moment. It should also demand that those running the show try as hard as humanly possible... to win! (Not just go thru the motions)

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I find it funny that Sherman last year when he took over playcalling responseablity he was call near to a genious. I believe that the injuries and lack of a coherent rush has limited what sherman can call.

Like going to war with twelve year olds you cant expect them to create a effective ambush. (see ****** youth) those *** clowns were killed by the hundreds too when they went up against a seasoned troops.

There are parrarells in history when it comes to going to war whether on the football field or the battle field. Your plans are dictated by what you can muster

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The focus always sits on Sherman. I would like to point out that since Jan. 1, Ted Thompson has been in charge of personnel.

It was his decision to let both guards go.
It was his decision to sign cheap free agents(most of whom haven't panned out)
It was his decision to draft relative unknowns(some of whom have panned out)

While the Packers were cap-tight, both Sherman and Thompson admitted they could have signed Wahle, by making adjustments elsewhere. The loss of the guards, coupled with the loss of playmakers Walker, Green, Bubba Franks for a time, Davenpoop, left Brett with less than a stellar cast on offense. Flanagan is just a shell of his former self. Both tackles are having crappy years. The offense went from #3 to the toilet hole in just a few months.

I can't see how anyone, repeat anyone, including Vince Lombardi, could have resurrected this offense. Always lost in the analysis like the one that started this thread is that Vince is dead, and there have been few like him since. Sherman is always judged by those who think you can act like Vince Lombardi and suddenly you're a winner. If T.O. isn't evidence enough that the modern player wouldn't put up with that crap, then go see an optomitrist. Vince also was blessed by a booty of All-Pro talent brought to the Packers by some shrewd late 50's drafting. Sherman's greatest failing as a GM(and he wasn't as bad as all his detractors think he was) was the inability to draft well, seeing veterans as more important than draft picks. George Allen thought the same way and won.

When you have the turnover and injuries this team has on offense, how could anyone have done any better? They haven't been blown out of any game, a tribute to Jim Bates, who has made chicken salad out of chicken poop. No mention that it was Sherman who lured Bates here, not Thompson.

When the thread starter mentions OBJECTIVE, it means both or all sides of an issue are looked at. A theory evolves after a hypothesis is pushed forward by facts, given critical review. Your theory about Sherman is flawed because your facts are selective, based on an opinion that looks for facts to fill in just your theory.

Pride: corporations also are subject to the talent they hire, and often the managers are only partially in control of that. Are the Eagles bad managers because they brought in a pre-teen with All-World talent at end?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Once again net you are able to say exactly what I was trying to say with tact and grace. Unfortunately I have neither the patience nor the writing capabilities that you possess. I can tell you were either "in the business" or still are. Thanks for the well written piece.

Members online

Latest posts