Investigation

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

IF so.. here is one for the 29th..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

LEAGUE LOOKING AT WHETHER PACKERS ARE VIOLATING BOUNTY RULES

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the league is looking into the question of whether members of the Green Bay Packers have violated the league's rules against bounties.

On Sunday, Bob Holtzmann of ESPN reported during Sunday NFL Countdown that a couple of Packers defensive backs had promised to pay each of the team's defensive linemen $500 if there were able to hold Vikings running back Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing in Week Ten.

They succeeded.

For Week Eleven, another $500 per lineman was promised if the Packers held the Panthers to under 60 yards rushing.

They failed.

We asked Aiello whether these extra payments counted against the salary cap, given that they were coming from teammates and not from the team. Aiello said that it's not a cap issue, but he explained that the league is looking at whether such promises are impermissible bounties.

The classic bounty is an offer of money or other benefits in exchange for injuring a player. But to the extent that limiting a player's production can be satisfied in part by, for example, tearing the player's LCL, it's probably not a good idea for incentives of this nature to be dangled in front of NFL players.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

I think bounties are a great motivator. I use to pay my son 5 bucks a touchdown.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

That rule is stupid.

The only bounty I'd be against is injuring someone.

I pay my son when he gets As. It's the same thing.

You get rewarded for success. That's how it should be.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Placing Bounties???

...given that they were coming from teammates and not from the team. Aiello said that it's not a cap issue, but he explained that the league is looking at whether such promises are impermissible bounties.

The classic bounty is an offer of money or other benefits in exchange for injuring a player. But to the extent that limiting a player's production can be satisfied in part by, for example, tearing the player's LCL, it's probably not a good idea for incentives of this nature to be dangled in front of NFL players.

As to the bolded part, I was amazed (ok not really) that PFT took this route.

It was Al Harris that tore AP's LCL, why would he intentionally do that? So that he (as a member of the secondary) could pay out the D-linemen $500 a piece?

Makes no sense that he, as the paying player would rip Peterson's LCL, costing himself money.

Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

PIB, thats logic, and logic rarely has a place on PFT.

This is just some fun the players have with one another. The NFL really is becoming the No Fun League.

The NFL heads need to learn to lighten up a little.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

This is a clear misuse of the word "Bounty"

Insert the word: "Incentive", "Bonus", "Commission", "Fee For Service" or "Spiff" and this is a non-story.

NFL Q.B's have routinely rewarded their O.Line with Rolex's. It is in appreciation of a job well done.

The word "Bounty" is visioned in our lexicon as a take down or hunt for hurt.

Rent that old classic movie.... "Slap Shot." LOLOL They had a bounty. "An Old Time Hockey Bounty." This is not even the same thing.

Reggie Dunlop: I am personally placing a hundred-dollar bounty on the head of Tim McCracken. He's the head coach and chief punk on that Syracuse team.

Jim Carr: A bounty?

Reggie Dunlop: Yeah, a hundred bucks of my own money for the first of my guys who really nails that creep.

McGrath: Are you crazy? We could all end up in the clinker for this. You can't put a bounty on a man's head.

Reggie Dunlop: I just did.

Dave 'Killer' Carlson: Coach, I want that hundred dollars.

Reggie Dunlop: Ya gotta earn it, Killer.

Dave 'Killer' Carlson: My attitude's right.

Slap Shot.... (The Un Edited Version.) The best Sports Movie of all time.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

just a tidbit. One of the Carlson borthers lives in my town and is the coach of the high school hockey team. Actually a great guy who played professional hockey with Gretzky in the WHL at edmonton.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

True, AADP.

You know, maybe the NFL would better allocate their resources if they started "looking into" the sh***y officiating (which is happening all over the league, not just in Packers games. Look @ the CLE/BAL game yesterday)

But hey, God forbid players have fun together and pay paltry amounts to the guys they share the field with, cause team bonding is to worse than making bad calls... :roll:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
PIB, thats logic, and logic rarely has a place on PFT.

This is just some fun the players have with one another. The NFL really is becoming the No Fun League.

The NFL heads need to learn to lighten up a little.

I think the NFL heads need to take the sticks out of their butts.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

I think it's a dumb rule. But when I heard the Packers doing this on ESPN, I thought right a way that it was probably against league rules. If I thought this, I wonder why ESPN brought it up and never mentioned it might be against league rules.

Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

Interesting to note what LeRoy Butler had to say on this matter, courtesy JSOnline:

Q. It has been reported that some of the Packers' defensive backs have set up incentives for their defensive line in which they'll pay cash or gift certificates if they'll keep the opponent from rushing for a specific number of yards. Did this happen when you were a player and is it ethical?

A. Oh yeah, we did that all the time. It was fun. We would put money in a pot and whoever got the interception would win the pot. If we held Barry Sanders, that one time we held him to negative yards, some of our offensive guys were giving us money. It's different if I get $100 bucks from like Brett Favre or Al Harris or Reggie White than getting 100 grand from the team. It's different. The guys are showing you how much they appreciate what you've done. I loved that. It's almost like you're playing a game within itself. There's more incentive when it comes from your teammate. It's like him saying, 'I need you this week. Every week I need you but this week is special. We have a guy who's coming in and has been destroying every team. We'll put some money in the pot and whoever gets a big hit or whoever stops him, great. Here's some cash.' When your teammates do something like that it makes you feel good. I think it's an awesome gesture.

There is a clear difference between offering a pot for stopping an offensive threat on the opposing team and offering a pot to injure someone.

I think players realize that other players (like themselves) use their play in the NFL to earn a living and provide for others. They wouldn't want to jeopardize someone's ability to feed their families and make a living by having incentive to injure the player.

Like Al Harris said after the Vikings game, he didn't want to injure AP because football is his means of making a living.

Having a pot that motivates a team to step up their play isn't doing anyone harm.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

lol but when u are earning millions 100 bucks is nothing, if the players were paying for say a free dinner or something then it would be no problem. Sure i remember a few years ago Plaxico Burress payed Jeff Feagles a trip to Disneyland for his family in exchange for the no17 jersey at the Giants :D

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

So what would be the consequence of this? We are not talking suspensions are we? Probably just fines, huh?

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

First of all, I didn't even know this was a rule.

Secondly, how does ESPN even know this was going on? We didn't.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

i doubt it will lead to anything, its hardly Patriots style cheating, perhaps this crap only gets stirred up when successful teams are involved? :p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

this is from end of october

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...umenyiora_dline_motivated_by_per.html?ref=rss

The secret to the Giants' devastating pass rush this season isn't new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's blitz schemes or an improved secondary. It is actually a pool in which each defensive end contributes money based on his salary, with the winner taking home the loot based on his production.

The pool has all the defensive ends talking trash and desperately trying to top one another in stats. So far, Osi Umenyiora is running away with the money.

Umenyiora, who sacked Donovan McNabb six times in Week 4, continued to terrorize quarterbacks as he blindsided Trent Dilfer, forced a fumble and picked it up before galloping 75 yards into the end zone for a third-quarter touchdown in the Giants' 33-15 rout of San Francisco yesterday.

With a team-high eight sacks, two fumble recoveries - both coming yesterday - and a touchdown for the season, Umenyiora can smell the money already and credits the pool with motivating him.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

How many teams use"bounties" just the Packers?

That is why this witch hunt has to stop... BEFORE it even begins.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing Bounties???

I am definetly for this....a little motivator...it is petty change to them, just a nice gesture from team mate to team mate. If this is college, understood...but this is the NFL...this isn't even 1/100th (or even close) of one game's paycheck...the packers should file an offical complaint against the NFL if they ***** at this....Larry Johnson destroyed the field (putting a hole in it with a flag)...the NFL allows that against the pack, but they don't allow what is similar to a good job, go get him on the sidelines????

I would be against if it was to injure a player, but it isn't (of course unless it Tom Brady, Randy Moss, or TO)

V

Vikeman

Placing Bounties???

This site is run by a Viking fan...so expect some slant to it. However the story does have legs.

You guys gotta understand something. If a real defensive player had made that hit, a whole lot less Viking fans (or Peterson fans) would be upset. Because it was some overrated, non-tackling, non covering, Whoopi goldberg looking corner named Al Harris...who for years was Moss's lil b*tch and was humorous to watch complaining about push off's when there wern't any...it stings Viking fans...including myself. Al Harris is weak...always has been, always will be...and I can't wait to see TO **** slap him like Moss did two Sundays out of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu5ev7n5TqA&feature=related

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

This site is run by a Viking fan...so expect some slant to it. However the story does have legs.

You guys gotta understand something. If a real defensive player had made that hit, a whole lot less Viking fans (or Peterson fans) would be upset. Because it was some overrated, non-tackling, non covering, Whoopi goldberg looking corner named Al Harris...who for years was Moss's lil b*tch and was humorous to watch complaining about push off's when there wern't any...it stings Viking fans...including myself. Al Harris is weak...always has been, always will be...and I can't wait to see TO **** slap him like Moss did two Sundays out of the year.

Jealous much?

V

Vikeman

Vikeman said:

Jealous much?

Jealous of.....?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan said:
Vikeman said:

Jealous much?

Jealous of.....?

Brett, Jennings, Driver, Jones, SB tropys, Division titles, sell outs, team not thinking about moving away, team not wearing purple, SB trophy named after a Packer coach, Brett getting TD record in your DUMP, team not OVER paying for over rated D backs..

Shall I go on?

Latest posts