[INTERVIEW] Charles Woodson . IGN

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Old article, but I thought it was interesting.

June 23, 2004 - In 2003, the Oakland Raiders finished the season tied for last, going 4-12 and leaving fans wondering what happen to that "commitment to excellence" that put them in the Super Bowl the year before, a game where they lost to their former head coach Jon Gruden and the Tampa Buccaneers. Well, according to four time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, one large ego got in the way…or was it two or three?

Last November, Woodson voiced his opinion on ESPN about then Raiders head coach Bill Callahan and how he refused to listen to some of the veterans on the team. A move that left Woodson taking the heat from reporters, border-to-border, water-to-water and from every corner of the NFL universe.

Charles Woodson's decision to go public about how the team was unhappy with the way Callahan had changed things was a bold move that he thought would help turn the season around, maybe jumpstart the team. Unfortunately, his plan backfired on him, leaving the star corner to answer all of the questions about a team in disarray.

It was another case of "when keeping it real goes wrong".

This year, Woodson has made it clear that he wants to be the face of the Raiders. He has even gone so far as to go to mini-camp without a contract to prove that he bleeds silver and black.

He is arrogant, cocky, confident, talented, outspoken, self-centered and maybe the best in the game today at his position.

IGN Sports caught up with lone Raider in ATL (he lives there in the offseason) to talk about the art of playing cornerback, the upcoming season and his talents away from the field, even if one of his talents is definitely not playing video games.

IGN Sports: When you step up to the line, is their a particular thing that you are looking for to get the edge on your opponent?

Charles Woodson: Most of the time, when I step up to the line I am looking at the quarterback and I look at his eyes. I can really tell when I look into his eyes if he thinks he can come to my side and be successful. So I try looking into the quarterback's eyes up until the very snap and then I go to the receiver because I am not too concerned about whether he beats me or not. I feel like it doesn't matter who is opposite me, he's not going to beat me. I look at the quarterback to see if he is going to come over there and make my assessment if he going to throw my way or not. I just make sure I am on top of my man so if the ball does come over here, that he just doesn't catch it.

IGN Sports: Would you say that you pretty much know before the snap if he is coming your way?

Charles Woodson: A lot of times. But sometimes a quarterback may stumble and you are running around with the receiver and it just so happens that he throws it to your guy. But you know when they walk up to the line, he don't want to throw the ball your way.

IGN Sports: Are there some receivers in the league that you like going up against because you that it is going to be a good battle?

Charles Woodson: Yeah, I respect guys you know what I mean: I respect Terrell (Owens), and I am supporting him in his event ("Star with a Cause" for Alzheimer's). Marvin Harrison (Colts) who I think is the best receiver in the league, Jimmy Smith from Jacksonville, Randy Moss (Vikings) of course. Eric Moulds (Bills) who I think is the strongest receiver in the league, and a few other guys like the two in St. Louis, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Those guys I respect tremendously. Those guys I do respect and enjoy going up against…always.

IGN Sports: How special is it for fans to see two players who represent teams that are rivals come together for a positive cause like Alzheimer's when you are away from the game, even though you compete against each other on the field?

Charles Woodson: I think that is really how it is for most players. I think it is rare that one player really hates another player on a team. I think most of the time it is competition. You do not like a player during game time, during that battle, but once the game is over we are back to living our lives. I respect T.O. tremendously as a receiver and he is one the best out there, if not the best. I have no problem doing something like this with him. There is no competition with T.O. I do my thing and he does his thing and we meet up here for a good cause and that is what it is. There are no hard feelings about nothing, even though the last time he got the best of me out there on the field, you know what I mean. I got that in the back of the my head so when we meet up again on the field I got to get right, but at the same time that's the game and this is life. We are here for a great cause in Alzheimer's disease and it's lovely.

IGN Sports: In the offseason you have charity events that go on like the Alzheimer's "Stars with a Cause", that allows you to compete at other events outside of football, one being the new ESPN NFL 2K5 video game. How good are you at playing the football games that are out?

Charles Woodson: I am really a lot better in person. The video games are good but I am really not good at them because I get really frustrated by them. I am a sore loser. I will be the first to admit that. When I get on video games I am not that good and when I play against somebody and they beat me, I want to rip the game out the wall, that type of thing. So, I really hesitate from playing them.

IGN Sports: Do you like the way the characters in the game resemble how you play on the field?

Charles Woodson: Really, I listen to people that play the games when I am out in the streets. I lot of times people may say, "Man I played with you when I play the game and man you had three interceptions." Another guy may say, "I played against you and I could not complete a pass." So, I feel like, okay the game is really representing me and that is real. I can't do nothing but respect that. I know people out there love the game and people, they like to play with certain guys and that helps them relate to those guys better. Then, when they see that player on the street, they want to say what they got to say about the game. That's good, and as long as they are saying positive things about the game, I'm straight.

IGN Sports: Cornerback is a tough position to play. Who was your mentor that took you under their wing to teach you about playing with that competitive edge at all times?

Charles Woodson: Eric Turner, may he rest in peace. When I first got in the league he was just a friend to me. (Pauses with emotions in his eyes) You know he died when he was like just 28 or 29. He was just a beautiful person that when I got here he let me know different things like training camp: Like training camp is long, be cool, get your work in but don't try to kill yourself because it is a long training camp, it's going to be alright. He showed me around Oakland and he took me to San Francisco, just spent time with me as a young player. I am from the Midwest and I am a long way from home, just to have him there with me as a friend because I don't have any family on the west coast. That was real to me. Eric Turner; man, that was my man a hundred grand.

IGN Sports: What made you choose Atlanta as the city to take up residence in during the offseason?

Charles Woodson: Really just visiting. I came down here when they had the Super Bowl when it was here in I think it was 1998 or 1999 (Super Bowl XXXIV) something like that and just really fell in love with the place. I fell in love with the people, the atmosphere and the girls, it was good and I had a good time. I had just moved my mother to Florida, and Orlando is a good distance from Atlanta not to far, just a hop, skip and a jump, it's real close but I don't have to stay with moms. I can have my own place so it just worked out like that and it's all good.

IGN Sports: Last year was a very tough year for you and your team. What is the one thing that stands out from last season other than the wins and loses that you would like to change this year?

Charles Woodson: Just the atmosphere of the team. Anytime you lose, it is going to be a negative atmosphere. Last year we were losing early, but there was still time to turn it around. But if the atmosphere is negative, you know what I am saying, if the atmosphere is negative nobody is really concentrating on making it better. It was just a negative situation. F*** it, we are going to just ride it out. So just make sure that everybody on the team is focused on what we have to do as a team to make it better. Make sure that the atmosphere of our working conditions is a positive atmosphere. If we can do that we will be alright.

IGN Sports: Norv Turner has come in and has focus his attention to the defense. How important was it to sign Warren Sapp and Ted Washington up front to help take some of the pressure off you?

Charles Woodson: Very important. Last year our run defense was basically garbage. When a receiver or a quarterback has time to sit back there and look at a defense and pick a defense apart, you can't win. When an offense can just run the ball to run the clock out, you can't win. That was the position we were in last year. The addition of Warren Sapp and Ted Washington and a couple of linebackers and things like that is going to make my job a lot easier. I think this year is going to be a lot of fun. I am going to go out there and do what I always do, but have fun doing it. Having those guys up front is going to make it a whole lot easier.

IGN Sports: What do you get mentally prepared week-after-week knowing you are facing the opposing team's number one receiver each game?

Charles Woodson: Man, I play ball because I am good at what I do. I don't stress my mind during the week worrying about who I am going up against. If he can beat me then he can beat me. I don't feel like they can, so I am just going to go out and do my things.

IGN Sports: Where does this confidence or attitude come from?

Charles Woodson: Early on, I feel like early on I have been the best on my team from football to basketball to baseball or whatever. I felt like I was the best on my team. When I was younger I just felt like it did not matter because I was the best out there and my confidence just grew. I just feel like I am the best man no matter what anybody else has to say. You can't beat me unless I let you beat me. And there it is.

Members online

Latest posts