1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

International players

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by all about da packers, Dec 28, 2006.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's happening in baseball and basketball, while it is already a stable in hockey. I'm talking about an injection of international talent coming through the ranks (and being quite successful too!).

Is the NFL eventually going to get more international players (there is at least one - the Vikings punter)? I'm talking about more in terms of talent at the skill positions...

Sports such as Rugby are tough, and definitely use similar skills and abilities that (American) football uses, and some of those players are beasts in their own right.

Do you see the NFL ever getting an injection of international flavour?

Personally, I am torn on the issue; I can think of reasons this would and would not happen.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    well see...in a lot of foreign places, they actually play baseball and basketball. thats why they come in, cuz they know the sport and are good at it.

football isnt played much in a lot of foreign places (from what ive heard) so...you wont see it too often.

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not. Basketball and Baseball are huge worldwide. Football isn't as big as Soccer in most countries. So I wouldn't expect many international players to come in and change the game like you've seen some in Baseball and Basketball.

4. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The first thing that came to my mind when I read this post was the huge talent pool that the NFL seems to be missing out on in the Punter and Kicking positions.

Soccer ( football to the rest of the world ) has some of the strongest and most accurate kickers in the world ( any fan of football outside of North America has seen this ) Yet for some reason; we here in North America have not taken advantage of it. I really don't know why but I am sure it's just a matter of time.

Cheers !!!

5. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to tackle that part in my post, but you do see the NFL trying to expand the game worldwide; there have been a ton of people showing out to China I believe to see the game. Mexico is also being talked about as an expansion location.

If the game does expand internationally, is it possible then? Or will popularity of the NFL take time to build up so that there will be pick-up games and leagues over seas in a decade at the earliest?

6. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Winni, but I would think the pay (a few hundred thousand) wouldn't match the ton of pounds they'd make over there.

Wasn't a punter we tried out a while back from Australia? He had some huge consistency problems that led to his eventual release...

7. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you guys really see a majority of Mexicans or Chinese coming. Maybe I am just steriotypeing but I dont think that overall the Chinese would have the build to play. And the Mexicans seem to have their place in baseball.

8. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't wait for the Sumo wrestler O-linemen.

The international players will be smarter than the persons coming to the NFL who have not learned fundamentals yet.

Morency is an example of a guy who came to the Packers not knowing how to take a hand off. Gado (International kind of guy) is much smarter.

9. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    ago, there are also Australian, England, South American areas...

10. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    there was that guy from the Chargers?? Bennet?

But I do seem to recall a guy trying out for the Packers that was from another country..

When I was in high school seemed like there were a lot of soccer players as the kickers on the football teams around my area..Our kicker was on the soccer team and kicked bare footed

But like others have said, basketball and baseball are more of a world wide sport..

AMERICAN football is hardly played in other contries, but if it were to take off and get players here, I wouldnt mind!

11. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just reffering to the two that you mentioned in your first paragraph. But yeah definitly I can see them coming from those places. Look at the NBA the teams love these guys, because they are hard workers and are not selfish. Thats one thing I like so much about Bogout(if i spelt that right)

12. C-Mize

C-Mize Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

13. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I didn't mean it in a "you forgot these other parts" sort of way, rather I wanted your opinion on the above 3 countires because I agreed with what you said in that post. I mean when I think of Chinese men in sports, first thing that pops into my head is Yao Ming. Truth be told, he has height and not much of anything else. He'd be terrible in the NFL...

14. Cubanpenguin

Cubanpenguin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Canada counts there are already about 10 players in the league including our own punter Jon Ryan. Vanderjact, Burlinson and Paython the WR are a few I can name off the top of my head, Bennett and the Jets punter are from Australia.

I'm sure there are more but it is still very limited compared to other sports. I know Hockey and Baseball have a very large international prescience and it is growing more and more every year but I doubt that football has to be worried anytime soon as football is mostly limited to North America and does not have the same international prescience as other sports do.

15. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Im just thinking overall. Your gona get some oddducks anywhere. But yes Ming is intheNBA but how many other chinese are in the nba?

16. dxbfan

dxbfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    College football would seem the most obvious and easiest way to draw both international players and an international audience. Given the large number of international students at universities and colleges all across america, one would expect either some of them to have played at the college level or to have taken the game back to their home countries. Yet that doesnt seemed to have happened. The closest I've been to seeing this happen was when I was in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, there was a group of UAE nationals (all college educated in the US) who formed an informal league and would play 5 a side!! games every Sunday.

17. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Theres an ameteur American Football league here in Ireland. Dunno what the standard is like, i'd say its about high school level.

18. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    No...

In Europe they play Football, which is really something called.."Soccer"...

(which is really not even considered a real sport over here in America..!!!)

(Ryan..don't ban me...this is just a joke..see...lolololololol...hehehe...Soccer's a wonderful game..played by warriors in short pants...)

19. fvre4mvp

fvre4mvp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Where do the Samoans come from. There are a few in the league but do most come from Hawaii or do they come from out of the country?

20. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    American Samoa

21. mike_donnelly

mike_donnelly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jets punter is Ben graham, because australian football uses the kick as a pass, so some players are used kind of like punters - they just whack the ball up the field. I saw on Xmas day game that they had Ben Graham holding for a field goal attempt and he muffed it. the commentartors said they should get the backup QB in to do it.