Interestingly enough

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I just watched the whole Favre thing on the official Green Bay Packers website. It was possibly edited, and I accept that, but while he was running off the list of names he wanted to thank for his career and achievements, Ron Wolf, Frank and Mike, yada yada yada......Ted Thompson never got a single mention. Just an observation.

Sorry guys, I still don`t buy it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I noticed the silence on Thompson as well - wasn't 100% that Thompson didn't get mentioned, but ... therein lays the rub of being the guy calling the "football" shots. Wolf brought him in and Thompson was the enforcer at the end. Human nature I suppose. Ted did what needed to be done in order to retain Rodgers.

I don't blame Favre, I don't blame Thompson ... had to happen and if Brett needed to be shown the door, so be it. Doesn't alter the fact, in the least that before my guy (who didn't have a jersey number I could buy), Ron Wolf, was the proverbial "trigger moment" hiring that turned this franchise around. He did it by bringing in Holmgren, who EVERY NFL team that needed a coach, was chasing - Wolf referred to Holmgren at the time as "the girl with the curl"...everyone wanted him ... and Holmgren made Favre an NFL QB. That sequence of events, followed by the White signing .... bringing in Favre was one of the integral moves made back then ... the perfect guy for Green Bay to build on.

Those were some fantastic times to watch develop and play out here in North Eastern and North Central Wisconsin. Prior to that, Packers' fans expected that noon on Sunday afternoon was going to be an effort in pain and futility. The "expectations" of winning on Sunday weren't there. The half-hour drive up to Green Bay on Sunday was just that - a predetermined outcome. As LeRoy Butler said repeated this weekend, "With him suiting up, we knew we at least had a chance." It was an entirely different time and mentality from a fan in North Eastern Wisconsin's standpoint. Then, the media blathered on about how the fans in North Eastern Wisconsin supported their Packers ... they didn't blather on about the Packers' "national" following. Back then, the Packers were a steaming hot pile of nasty smelling dog crap year in and year out, but, they were OUR steaming hot pile of nasty smelling dog crap.

I know that it's expected that one take either side in this squabble over Favre going to the Vikings after the Pack moved on with Aaron. I didn't want Favre to retire back in '08, but he did, and for me...that was that. On to the next guy who just happened to blossom into arguably the best in today's game - and our run of good QB fortune continued.

Never going to take thing one away from Favre. He was and is what he is. He came with a package of events that turned the Pack around. It wasn't happenstance, it was the guy steering the ship -- Ron Wolf -- that turned this thing around. His moves in the aggregate saved this franchise. Favre was just one of the pieces, one of the spokes if you will. Favre needed the Packers as much as the Pack needed him -- because, and I believe this sincerely, were it not for Wolf's belief in him and Holmgren's technical savvy, Brett would have ended up a High School Special Ed teacher in Mississippi.

Now after this dissertation, I'll finish up by saying that Favre's induction into both of the Halls of Fame is earned and he is worthy. Make no mistake, he is worthy in my book. I've still got a bug up my *** about the number retirement. So be it ... it was inevitable I guess.

Say what you want about Favre as a young man, a player prone toward bad judgment, an ego-maniacal turd, a guy whose desire to play trumped his loyalty to an organization (that one would make me point at you and laugh, though) ... and I'd say "Whatever" .... in the grand scheme of things, things were dramatically different AFTER his arrival from PRIOR to his arrival. The NFL has always been a QB driven league - football has always been a QB driven game at every level ... and, the guy changed the Green Bay Packers -- make no mistake.

So... like him or not ... he's one of our guys. I hated Sterling Sharpe -- but he sure could catch the ball. Congrats to Favre -- and cue the Bob Hope song -- sing it with me folks... pick 'er up on the downbeat .... Thanks for the memories...

OP
OP
I

I noticed the silence on Thompson as well - wasn't 100% that Thompson didn't get mentioned, but ... therein lays the rub of being the guy calling the "football" shots. Wolf brought him in and Thompson was the enforcer at the end. Human nature I suppose. Ted did what needed to be done in order to retain Rodgers.

I don't blame Favre, I don't blame Thompson ... had to happen and if Brett needed to be shown the door, so be it. Doesn't alter the fact, in the least that before my guy (who didn't have a jersey number I could buy), Ron Wolf, was the proverbial "trigger moment" hiring that turned this franchise around. He did it by bringing in Holmgren, who EVERY NFL team that needed a coach, was chasing - Wolf referred to Holmgren at the time as "the girl with the curl"...everyone wanted him ... and Holmgren made Favre an NFL QB. That sequence of events, followed by the White signing .... bringing in Favre was one of the integral moves made back then ... the perfect guy for Green Bay to build on.

Those were some fantastic times to watch develop and play out here in North Eastern and North Central Wisconsin. Prior to that, Packers' fans expected that noon on Sunday afternoon was going to be an effort in pain and futility. The "expectations" of winning on Sunday weren't there. The half-hour drive up to Green Bay on Sunday was just that - a predetermined outcome. As LeRoy Butler said repeated this weekend, "With him suiting up, we knew we at least had a chance." It was an entirely different time and mentality from a fan in North Eastern Wisconsin's standpoint. Then, the media blathered on about how the fans in North Eastern Wisconsin supported their Packers ... they didn't blather on about the Packers' "national" following. Back then, the Packers were a steaming hot pile of nasty smelling dog crap year in and year out, but, they were OUR steaming hot pile of nasty smelling dog crap.

I know that it's expected that one take either side in this squabble over Favre going to the Vikings after the Pack moved on with Aaron. I didn't want Favre to retire back in '08, but he did, and for me...that was that. On to the next guy who just happened to blossom into arguably the best in today's game - and our run of good QB fortune continued.

Never going to take thing one away from Favre. He was and is what he is. He came with a package of events that turned the Pack around. It wasn't happenstance, it was the guy steering the ship -- Ron Wolf -- that turned this thing around. His moves in the aggregate saved this franchise. Favre was just one of the pieces, one of the spokes if you will. Favre needed the Packers as much as the Pack needed him -- because, and I believe this sincerely, were it not for Wolf's belief in him and Holmgren's technical savvy, Brett would have ended up a High School Special Ed teacher in Mississippi.

Now after this dissertation, I'll finish up by saying that Favre's induction into both of the Halls of Fame is earned and he is worthy. Make no mistake, he is worthy in my book. I've still got a bug up my *** about the number retirement. So be it ... it was inevitable I guess.

Say what you want about Favre as a young man, a player prone toward bad judgment, an ego-maniacal turd, a guy whose desire to play trumped his loyalty to an organization (that one would make me point at you and laugh, though) ... and I'd say "Whatever" .... in the grand scheme of things, things were dramatically different AFTER his arrival from PRIOR to his arrival. The NFL has always been a QB driven league - football has always been a QB driven game at every level ... and, the guy changed the Green Bay Packers -- make no mistake.

So... like him or not ... he's one of our guys. I hated Sterling Sharpe -- but he sure could catch the ball. Congrats to Favre -- and cue the Bob Hope song -- sing it with me folks... pick 'er up on the downbeat .... Thanks for the memories...

Very eloquently put my friend, and you know what ?...........You didn`t try to beat me over the head with your opinion :tup:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He did mentioned Ted only in passing, his mother in law Ann----tendency to do Ron's or Ted's job from time to time..Exact quote.

Not really something one would think was a compliment like he did for other coaches

The nfl network broadcast was edited as they took out the part where Winters said the S word..But on the Packers.com web cast it wasnt..it was delayed at least 15 minsutes

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn’t watch it so if he offered a sincere apology to Packers fans (or if he does so in the future) I’d appreciate it being posted on this board. All the following IMO: Weeds’ post is certainly rational but from my point of view it misses on a couple of points. It is much more likely it was McCarthy pushing Favre out the door more than Thompson. But in fact neither ‘showed Favre the door’, that was Favre himself, twice showing himself the door. And Favre’s actions against the Packers involved more than just his manipulations to join the Vikings.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched the whole Favre thing on the official Green Bay Packers website. It was possibly edited, and I accept that, but while he was running off the list of names he wanted to thank for his career and achievements, Ron Wolf, Frank and Mike, yada yada yada......Ted Thompson never got a single mention. Just an observation.

I don't think there was any need for him to mention Thompson.
Now if Aaron didn't mention Thompson when he is inducted then that would be questionable.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember Favre thanking McCarthy as a head coach, just mentioning that he was an assistant and that upon his exit Mike said that he would be a head coach some day.

At some point, Favre should thank MM and TT respectively. They resurrected his career when things were getting ugly in 2005 and 2006. TT put the pieces in place for him to compete and MM pushed him to be a better QB. That said, the 2007 was largely on Favre since he had zero running game to rely upon. Maybe he feels like he won despite MM and TT. Who knows. I know that Favre has spoken positively about the way that MM treated him and had the conversation when he came to training camp in 2008. That's about it though.

My wife, a Vikings fan, watched the streamed ceremony with me. It was entertaining, light-hearted, and we both laughed a lot. She commented about how Brett's personality speaks to people. I agree. While it was a bit too long it was always entertaining, or in his words "awesome."

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Favre thank Ted Thompson? What would he thank him for? I've always said Favre was a jock, he did a great job being a jock. He did a horrible job managing the end of his career.... You expect that from jocks. Ted Thompson is the General Manager, he failed miserably managing the end of #4's career. "Oh but hey if Favre had been more reasonable it would have went better"..... 24 years in the Army and a followon career managing people .... I'll tell you....I didn't get paid to lead or manage the "easy ones"....I got paid to handle the "problems"....Thompson blew it....why would Favre thank him for that? Favre probably saved both TTs and MMs jobs in Green Bay with his play there his last 2 seasons given the very mediocre cast he had around him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Favre thank Ted Thompson? What would he thank him for? I've always said Favre was a jock, he did a great job being a jock. He did a horrible job managing the end of his career.... You expect that from jocks. Ted Thompson is the General Manager, he failed miserably managing the end of #4's career. "Oh but hey if Favre had been more reasonable it would have went better"..... 24 years in the Army and a followon career managing people .... I'll tell you....I didn't get paid to lead or manage the "easy ones"....I got paid to handle the "problems"....Thompson blew it....why would Favre thank him for that? Favre probably saved both TTs and MMs jobs in Green Bay with his play there his last 2 seasons given the very mediocre cast he had around him.

What did TT exactly "blow" in regards to Bretts career? I mean its not his job to manage his career its his job to manage the team first off, something Favre fans never got over.

He put one of the most talented teams Brett ever played on together over that 07 season. Dont blame Ted for Brett throwing it away.

OP
OP
I

Wasn`t Thompson responsible for starting the ball rolling to begin this retiring thing?

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thompson didn't blow anything. He took a severely declining team as constructed by Mike Sherman (and probably Favre behind the scenes) and in TWO YEARS had the team back in the NFCCG. All the while, he had a prima donna who thought he should be the de facto GM or get to snap his fingers and go where ever he wanted. And despite that Thompson had the team surging upward. It was Favre who decided alone he was so important and above the team that he was to get treatment no other HOFer had ever gotten - not Tarkenton, not Staubach, not even Montana. It was Favre who was the prime mover of all the problems of 2008. It was Favre who thought he was so in the right that he could spout on Greta for three nights running. It was Favre who thought he was supposed to anoint head coaches (and the attendant play book he was to play under), he was the one who was to decide who got to stay and get paid, he was the one who was supposed to dictate free agent signings. He even thought he was due sign-off on the draft AFTER HE RETIRED.

In short, Favre just wasn't "difficult" he was a nuclear waste land of self centered stupidity. And under those conditions, I think Thompson did exceptionally well.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To0lkien--it never occurred to me that Favre actually was Gollum...but it explains much.

GBgouda

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love and respect Brett Favre. He lost his way for a couple of years and I was pissed off. My man was irritated because I brought it up every day. What happened is what happens to all older players. They are afraid of post life football. I can forgive him for that. He is trying to give back and will always be remembered as a Packer MVP and a Superbowl winner.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts