Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.....Glenn was a keeper. He has done quite well after leaving here. I don't know why they let him go.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, it all comes down to what people feel is an acceptable level of performance. I know some who say anything less than the Super Bowl is a disappointment, others who are happy to be in the playoffs every year with a chance at the Super Bo0wl, and others who are perfectly happy to see improvement in a team regardless of the win/loss record.

IMO, it's pretty hard to argue with Mike Sherman's success in GB. Was he perfect, hell no. But I'd much rather watch the level of success at football we had under his tenure than what we've had under TT's so far. Let's hope he's as good at talent evaluation and building a team as many people here seem to think he is. I'd hate to be here 2-3 years from now seeing people still having to blame Sherman for his lack of success.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's hope he's as good at talent evaluation and building a team as many people here seem to think he is.

Personally, I think that this is as good an indication as we can get at this point....
(From the "GOOD NEWS" thread)

Zero2Cool wrote:
Which Players on the team currently were product of gaining extra picks from trading down?

Just from last year (2006):

We traded pick #36 to New England for Picks #52 and #75

With #52 we picked Greg Jennings
With #75 we picked Jason Spitz

With the #37 pick that we acquired for Javon Walker
We traded #37 and #139 to Atlanta for #47, #93, and #148

With #47, we picked Darin Colledge
With #93, we traded to STL for #109 and #183
With #148, we picked Ingle Martin

We traded the #109 pick (from STL) to Philadelphia for #115 and #185
With #183 (from STL) we picked Johnny Jolly

With the 2 picks from Phildelphia we chose Wil Blackmon (115) and Tyrone Culver (185)

So -- with our regular 2nd round pick in 2006, we traded down and got 2 starters. Then with our pick that we got for Walker, we got 5 players -- one of which was a major contributor (Colledge) and others who potentially could contribute this year (Blackmon, Culver)

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Let's hope he's as good at talent evaluation and building a team as many people here seem to think he is.

Personally, I think that this is as good an indication as we can get at this point....
(From the "GOOD NEWS" thread)

Zero2Cool wrote:
Which Players on the team currently were product of gaining extra picks from trading down?

Just from last year (2006):

We traded pick #36 to New England for Picks #52 and #75

With #52 we picked Greg Jennings
With #75 we picked Jason Spitz

With the #37 pick that we acquired for Javon Walker
We traded #37 and #139 to Atlanta for #47, #93, and #148

With #47, we picked Darin Colledge
With #93, we traded to STL for #109 and #183
With #148, we picked Ingle Martin

We traded the #109 pick (from STL) to Philadelphia for #115 and #185
With #183 (from STL) we picked Johnny Jolly

With the 2 picks from Phildelphia we chose Wil Blackmon (115) and Tyrone Culver (185)

So -- with our regular 2nd round pick in 2006, we traded down and got 2 starters. Then with our pick that we got for Walker, we got 5 players -- one of which was a major contributor (Colledge) and others who potentially could contribute this year (Blackmon, Culver)

I agree pib. I just hope the performance of these players ends up being somewhere close to their potential.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree pib. I just hope the performance of these players ends up being somewhere close to their potential.

Agreed, and I think that there's a better than average chance of that happening. If nothing else, MM and TT give their young players PLENTY of opportunities to make the roster. Colledge played in all 16 last year, GJ is evidently starting to stand out in M-C, and Blackmon is finally looking ready to make a run at the nickel position. He can KR/PR, too.

Needless to say I'm excited about these guys' potential, and encouraged by the staff's methods. This season could be alot of fun.

Reaction score
Well, I thought Joe Johnson was going to be good. We had Terry Glenn then traded him away. I'd have liked to have kept him. That's two jus off the top of my head that I was surprised about.

I've always wondered what exactly went wrong with Joe Johnson.

He had the skills, and when we signed him, he had a couple of years of consistent all-pro play where he was a damn great player.

People are always quick to bring up Sherman's failure of signing Johnson, but at the time every "expert" and their mother was praising the move. I'd have loved the move to work out (what Packer fan wouldn't?).

As for Glenn, didn't (s)he ask for a trade?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Well, I thought Joe Johnson was going to be good. We had Terry Glenn then traded him away. I'd have liked to have kept him. That's two jus off the top of my head that I was surprised about.

I've always wondered what exactly went wrong with Joe Johnson.

He had the skills, and when we signed him, he had a couple of years of consistent all-pro play where he was a damn great player.

People are always quick to bring up Sherman's failure of signing Johnson, but at the time every "expert" and their mother was praising the move. I'd have loved the move to work out (what Packer fan wouldn't?).

As for Glenn, didn't (s)he ask for a trade?

Terry Glenn is a male. It's embarrassing you, someone of no NFL experience once so would even get that wrong.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many people here know so much more about football than I do.

So I ask this question.

Name me a G.M. who HAS NEVER made a bad pick? Name me a GM who has NEVER BEENsucked in. There were plenty of scouts, exprts, and analysis that said he had all the tools to dominate in the NFL.

Carrol had all of the combine numbers and stats that one would look for as far as his physical ability. He did not have GLARING CHARACHTER CHALLENGES going into the draft.

He was a bad pick, a bad move, and a bad child. Most of all a bad child.

It happens....

There is a truth in business. That truth is "There Is No Such Thing As A Bad Employee, There Are Only Bad Managers."

What that means is, the only bad employee you have on your staff is the one you have not replaced.

Management canned Carrol's ***. An outright release. That is great management.

Reaction score
Terry Glenn is a male. It's embarrassing you, someone of no NFL experience once so would even get that wrong.

To quote Bill Parcells from an old interview:

Reporter: How is Terry Glenn doing?

Coach Parcells: She is doing good. (laughter in the room)

WestPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assume 5 years of taking the best player available with the #1 pick vs picking the best player available to fill the most immediate need. Not an easy choice otherwise there wouldn't be any controversy about the two pathways.

The question is who in the long run pursuing either pathway will have the better personel? I'll go with 5 years or for that matter 6, 7, 8 .... of best player available. Better chance I think with the first round pick to get the difference maker.

There are so many other factors; quality of management, coaching, luck, etc that enter in, all very importent but combine that with best available ... not a bad idea in the long run. Nuff said.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I am firmly aware of the quote that was said YEARS ago, and forgotten by most who have a life, also, you are not Bill Parcells.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, it all comes down to what people feel is an acceptable level of performance. I know some who say anything less than the Super Bowl is a disappointment, others who are happy to be in the playoffs every year with a chance at the Super Bo0wl, and others who are perfectly happy to see improvement in a team regardless of the win/loss record.

IMO, it's pretty hard to argue with Mike Sherman's success in GB. Was he perfect, hell no. But I'd much rather watch the level of success at football we had under his tenure than what we've had under TT's so far. Let's hope he's as good at talent evaluation and building a team as many people here seem to think he is. I'd hate to be here 2-3 years from now seeing people still having to blame Sherman for his lack of success.
My own feelings on this.............back in the early 1990's, when we just made the playoffs, that was enough for me. We had SO many years of not even getting close to the playoffs, even a wild card was enough for huge celebration.Then when the team made in all the way, i think most of our expectations rose along with that. I really don't like ripping on Sherman, as we DID make the playoffs several times. But i see it that he had SO much talent on those teams, and never could seem to make it pay off under Sherman, for whatever reason. His teams got knocked off early and often under his ruling. Sherman came in with huge talent to work with. TT came in when the team was way on the decline. So the situations are extremely different. Thats why I'm a little more patient with seeing results.
Of course i don't have indefinite patience. I expect to see improvement each year now, and will hold TT accountable for what he does, or does not do.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I am firmly aware of the quote that was said YEARS ago, and forgotten by most who have a life

Right, and people will also forget AIs "we talkin about practice ?!" rant or "playoffs?!?!"

c'mon...

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Zero2Cool said:

I am firmly aware of the quote that was said YEARS ago, and forgotten by most who have a life

Right, and people will also forget AIs "we talkin about practice ?!" rant or "playoffs?!?!"

c'mon...

You missed the point, big surprise.

:whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zero2Cool said:
Zero2Cool said:

c'mon...

You missed the point, big surprise.

:whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin: :whippin:

yeah i didnt read the thread all the way or read your posts thoroughly, i rarely do with yours.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
yeah i didnt read the thread all the way or read your posts thoroughly, i rarely do with yours.

It's completely normal to dodge things that are of higher intelligence than your brain can comprehend. I hold no hard feelings.

Let's carry on with the thread and if you wish to continue a pissing contest, well wait for pyle to be reinstated because ....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

It's completely normal to dodge things that are of higher intelligence than your brain can comprehend. I hold no hard feelings.

Let's carry on with the thread and if you wish to continue a pissing contest, well wait for pyle to be reinstated because ....

You mock me then say 'lets carry on with the thread' ? are you serious? And if I respond, I look like a jerk, right? So immature it makes me smile.

im just bustin your balls, stop bellyachin.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:

You mock me then say 'lets carry on with the thread' ? are you serious? And if I respond, I look like a jerk, right? So immature it makes me smile.

You seem to miss starting **** with pyle so much that you've brought me back into your radar. Perhaps you should catch him on MySpace because ... well quite frankly this is getting old. It's good to see who the true culprit at PF.com is.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:

You seem to miss starting **** with pyle so much that you've brought me back into your radar. Perhaps you should catch him on MySpace because ... well quite frankly this is getting old. It's good to see who the true culprit at PF.com is.

Wow. You are ****ing insane. Ok. No more replying to your posts then. LOL, a little ball breaking makes little zero cry. Its cool, man. I'll just ignore you. I'll joke around with others. Where's Darth Cheesey.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Wow. You are ****ing insane. Ok. No more replying to your posts then. LOL, a little ball breaking makes little trom cry. Its cool, man. I'll just ignore you. I'll joke around with others. Where's Darth Cheesey.

[align=center][flash width=600 height=120]http://packershome.com/zFllash/wahbalance.swf[/flash][/align]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts