Interesting view on Sherman extension

FL Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Profootball Talk.com
The decision of the Packers to give coach Mike Sherman a contract extension of only two years essentially means, in our view, that new G.M. Ted Thompson has "hired" Sherman pursuant to the standard three-year contract that many newly-minted head coaches get.

And it also means that if Sherman doesn't keep the team competitive and/or push it back to prominence within the next couple of seasons, Thompson will have the ability to make another head-coaching hire.

It's a common, and unfortunate, phenomenon in the NFL. The General Manager's accountability is far less immediate than the head coach's. And the G.M. typically can get away with ******** the piooch with the first head coach that he hires (see Donahoe, Tom), even though the guy who hired the head coach that tanked should at least bear some responsibility for the failure.

This dynamic, in our view, is one of the main reasons why most teams can't, and won't, duplicate the success of a franchise like the Patriots. In New England, the coaching staff and the front office are on a leash of identical length. Thus, neither department has anything to gain by blaming the other if/when the thing goes bad. (If it ever does.) Instead, everyone works together because either everyone succeeds together, or everyone fails together.

So, in Green Bay, Sherman's three-year deal means that if the team tanks, Mike takes the fall -- and Thompson gets a do-over.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That IS an interesting view. I didn't know that the Patriots structure was different from most others.

This guy thinks it is unfair that coaches are given a shorter leash than GM's, but I don't see any problem with that. It takes a few years to see how a GM's draft picks pan out, while the quality of a coach is usually apparent much more quickly.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead-says:" Poor b@[email protected] gets 6.4 million guaranteed for 2 years worth of work."-------- The big money in NFL in the new century is a fact of life. And the NFL head coach should benefit from it and is. As example, tight end Bubba Franks just received 6 million dollars reporting bonus for signing his contract. The Packers are rewarding Mike Sherman for his five year coaching record of 53-27 which put him up there as 4th best Head coach in Packer history and since 1970 only Chuck Knox, Joe Gibbs, and Mike Ditka had better records in their first five seasons. None of those coaches before 1993 had to contend with competitve balance (free agency and salary cap) as present day NFL coaches like Mike Sherman have to. . The NFL is by far the number 1 Pro sport in the world and as such, NFL takes in huge revenues and it reflects in the compensation paid the players, as well as the coaches in NFL.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PWT

You can't POSSIBLY be saying that Mike Sherman is as good a coach as CHUCK KNOX, JOE GIBBS, OR MIKE DITKA...are you?

If you are..then i seriously quetion your judgement....

(next you'll be saying he's as good as LOMBARDI...)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this hack thinks that "if Sherman doesn't keep the team competitive and/or push it back to prominance within the next couple seasons, Thompson will have the ability to make a new coaching hire".

What a friggin' genius. Isn't that pretty much the way it is on every other NFL team? If the coach sucks the GM can hire another one? Thanks for enlightening us Football talk.com.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
PWT

You can't POSSIBLY be saying that Mike Sherman is as good a coach as CHUCK KNOX, JOE GIBBS, OR MIKE DITKA...are you?

If you are..then i seriously quetion your judgement....

(next you'll be saying he's as good as LOMBARDI...)

He didn't say that. He said he had a comparable record in the first 5 years. Just comparing stats. What's the problem with that?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
A positive statement about Sherman always gets things wound up!

No kidding. I never thought that on a Packers forum that support for a member of their staff would be so outragous. Guess I'm too much of a cheerleader. Or maybe it's because I know that what I think isn't going to have an effect on the Packers decisions.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I often think people get Sherman the coach confused with Sherman the GM.

Unlike many I have a memory. In 2000 when the team started out slow Sherman got them believing and had a great second half of the season.

In 2004 in the final 11 games the Packers were 9-2. Keeping a team from giving up on itself when the chips are down is the mark of a good coach.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
digsthepack said:
A positive statement about Sherman always gets things wound up!

No kidding. I never thought that on a Packers forum that support for a member of their staff would be so outragous. Guess I'm too much of a cheerleader. Or maybe it's because I know that what I think isn't going to have an effect on the Packers decisions.

YOUR PROBLEM IS YOU SEE THE GLASS HALF FULL AND GALL DANGIT ITS HALF EMPTY NOW SEE IT LIKE THE REST OF'EM.

/sarcasm

Members online

Latest posts