Interesting Read - Rodgers or Cutler?

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Cutler or Rodgers? NFL Experts make their picks

by Sean jenssen

ESPN ''Monday Night Football'' analysts Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski, two quarterback connoisseurs, can't wait for tonight's matchup of two under-30 stars.

But it's not just Jay Cutler taking on Aaron Rodgers when the Bears host the nemesis Green Bay Packers at Soldier Field.

''What makes it so cool is the incredible rivalry,'' Jaworski said. ''We're excited about this game because of the quarterbacks, and these two teams have been going at it for a long, long time.''

In anticipation of the game between 2-0 teams, the Sun-Times posed a simple question to 10 NFL analysts: Cutler or Rodgers, and why?

Here's what they said:

CHARLEY CASSERLY, former general manager of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, analyst for CBS and NFL Network:

Pick: Rodgers.
''I would take Rodgers only because of the consistency that he's had. But that's not fair to Jay Cutler because in three years, he's had three different offensive coordinators. You're comparing apples to oranges.''

MIKE DITKA, Hall of Fame tight end, head coach of Super Bowl-champion '85 Bears:
Pick: Undecided.

''I like Aaron Rodgers for this reason: You look at his past work, and it was a little better than Jay's. Coming into this season, I thought he was better. When you look at Jay, talent is not the problem. Now, I've seen him do some things I didn't know he could do. Right now, coming into this game, the two are about even."

TONY DUNGY, Super Bowl- champion head coach, analyst for NBC:
''Right now, I'd say Aaron Rodgers because he's in the middle of the same offense he's been running for a few years. Cutler's played good football for two weeks, but Rodgers has been playing well for a while.''

HERM EDWARDS, ESPN analyst, former head coach of the New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs.
"I just think he's got a calmness to him that I like, and he's been more consistent. But he's been in the same system while Cutler's changed teams. You have to look at that, too."

RON JAWORSKI, Pro Bowl quarterback, ESPN ''Monday Night Football'' analyst:
''I think Aaron Rodgers has put together two really solid seasons. The guy is an accurate thrower, although he's been a little off these first two weeks. I would say, right now, he's more of a polished quarterback than Cutler but has a little better understanding of the system because he's been in it so long. Jay, I still see putting his toes in the water and testing it out.''

TRENT GREEN, two-time Pro Bowl quarterback, analyst for Fox and NFL Network:
''They're both good quarterbacks, but I'd have to pick Rodgers. He had a chance to sit behind Brett [Favre] and learn. He's getting close to [Tom] Brady and [Peyton] Manning, being able to control the game. Jay hasn't been as consistent.''

JON GRUDEN, Super Bowl champion head coach, ''Monday Night Football'' analyst:
Pick: Undecided.
''I don't want to choose anybody. I like both of these guys. I'd be glad to have either one of them. But at this stage of the game, Rodgers probably has more experience, and a supporting cast around him.''

JAMES LOFTON, Hall of Fame receiver, Westwood One analyst:
''Being a former Packer, I'd have to go with Aaron Rodgers. That's more gut than total evaluation. Because if you were evaluating them, you would flip a coin, and you wouldn't lose with either one.''

MIKE LOMBARDI, NFL Network analyst, former NFL executive:
''At this point, you like Aaron Rodgers because he's been in the same system so long, and he's been with those players and they've all grown up together. With Jay, this is his first year on the playground. So there lies the difference. So you're going to go with the experience.''

JOE THEISMANN, NFL Network analyst, two time Pro Bowl quarterback, one-time Super Bowl champion for the Washington Redskins:
''He's been more consistent with his play over the past two years, but they're very similar. They both throw the ball well. They both make plays. But I would give Aaron the edge right now because him and [Packers coach Mike] McCarthy have been together a lot longer than [Mike] Martz and Cutler, and there needs to be an unspoken understanding between the play-caller and the quarterback."

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gruden is such a punk about this stuff, only wants to compliment everyone. wait til tonight and listen to him say over and over "I like that guy".

Ditka is being a homer and I understand that.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Gruden is such a punk about this stuff, only wants to compliment everyone. wait til tonight and listen to him say over and over "I like that guy".
LMAO! Spot on!, except I think its "I like this guy"..."are you kidding me?"

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i understand cutler is new to martz,but he plays like he did in denver,they will see that tonight cutler takes big chances when he is rattled,that's the difference a-rod is more accurate cutler is not.:chisux:

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the Bears game stats from last week and it is pretty obvious why the Bears won. It had nothing to do with the Bears dominating the game. It was one thing. Turnovers. We cannot turn the ball over if we are going to win this game. One other thing stands out. Look at the Bears 3rd down efficiency (1-11). Wow. The Bears looked like they should have gotten their *** kicked!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very surprised that they're saying "it's close". Are you kidding me? Just look at the stats and accomplishment. Cutler has NEVER had a winning season, for crying out loud. He's never had a QB rating of over 90 in a season, and he spent his first 3 with the same OC, so what are you talking about, you ********? Cutler is talented, no doubt, but Rodgers is elite.

Not even close, and it makes me really angry that they're even debating this stupid thing.

They tried it last year, and Rodgers made all of them look like fools.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ill take the guy that doesnt throw the most interceptions in the league thank you very much

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cutler has the tools to be a superior QB for a very long time. Rodgers also has the tools, obviously. One thing I look forward to is when Rodgers can just impose his will against opposing offenses. When he can consistently lead 6, 7, 8 minute scoring drives that just chew up the clock. I'm not totally sure he's there yet, but he is very very good. It took Manning a long time to get to the level of success he's at today. I imagine Rodgers will get there too over the next couple of seasons.

The only drawback to Cutler is going to be the coaching staff. If the Bears don't do something now, that whole coaching staff is going to be replaced, which I could wind up being a bit setback to Cutler. But then again, it's the Bears, so it's not like I care that much.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cutler has the tools to be a superior QB for a very long time. Rodgers also has the tools, obviously. One thing I look forward to is when Rodgers can just impose his will against opposing offenses. When he can consistently lead 6, 7, 8 minute scoring drives that just chew up the clock. I'm not totally sure he's there yet, but he is very very good. It took Manning a long time to get to the level of success he's at today. I imagine Rodgers will get there too over the next couple of seasons.

The only drawback to Cutler is going to be the coaching staff. If the Bears don't do something now, that whole coaching staff is going to be replaced, which I could wind up being a bit setback to Cutler. But then again, it's the Bears, so it's not like I care that much.

First thing I said when Cutler came to Chicago. He had Brandon Marshall..........and now he has no one even close to that. Not to mention just being in Chicago with receivers that wouldn't even make our team. When Hester was on special teams, and they took him out of that role which at the time he was their best return man. Stupid move in my opinion. I was reading an article about how Urlacher was going to cover Finley. Ummmmm.........good luck with that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, Rodgers did do it against the Steelers and the Cardinals. Rodgers kept us on every single game last year, but you're right, that killing mode only happened those stances.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyone is saying cutler has done well the first two weeks, but are they even mentioning him being as good as manning or brees? i think not.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First thing I said when Cutler came to Chicago. He had Brandon Marshall..........and now he has no one even close to that. Not to mention just being in Chicago with receivers that wouldn't even make our team. When Hester was on special teams, and they took him out of that role which at the time he was their best return man. Stupid move in my opinion. I was reading an article about how Urlacher was going to cover Finley. Ummmmm.........good luck with that.

funny thing about that, i was reading that Bears forum and one of them said that their WR's are better than ours. *facepalm*

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give Cutler his due, I think he has shown great potential to lead the Bears in the future. But he is no Rogers and this is the present, not next year or two or three seasons down the road. I think both QBs are going to serve their respective teams very well in their given careers, but in terms of the game tonight, it's all Rogers to me. I will, however forgive Ditka for sitting on the fence there, LOL!

Latest posts