Interesting note from Gado-Morency Trade

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found an interesting quote on the TexanTalk forum:

"This morning I heard that Kubiak felt that a veteran RB could have found holes on Sunday that Lundy and Morency didn't. So maybe that had something to do with it. Having a RB to come in who is familiar with Sherman and his O-line scheme might show some benefit."

Does 5 or 6 games make Gado a veteran? Is it Sherman's blocking scheme (Packer's last year) or Kubiak's scheme (from Denver) that Houston is using this year?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Gado was bummed out about being traded. Morency was thrilled off his *******.

I'm bummed about Gado being traded. I really hope this isn't a mistake.

As for Gado being a veteran, Gado's one of the more intelligent players I've seen. He picked up the system fast. I'm sure he'll do well under Sherman.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Gado and Morency joined the NFL the same year. Last year. Morency was 3rd pick. Gado was undrafted.

Gado is 23
Morency is 26

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an era of me-first kind of players Gado was refreshing.
He was certainly a bright spot on a dim season.
He was at Fanfest and was liked by Packer fans.
He appreciated being liked.
It really takes a hard hearted coldly analytical person to be GM and trade him away.

Will Brett be suddenly gone in a mid-week trade? Anyone could.

Reaction score
CaliCheez, TT must make this roster better any way he can.

If that means trading a player like Gado, so be it.

In the end, players that have manners and fans liking them won't get you to the superbowl, players who have superb talent will.

If Morency is an upgrade from Gado in terms of talent, then TT is justified in making the move.

Gado hadn't shown a whole lot recently to justify keeping him around.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree generally. Why restate my point. It takes a unique person with the right temprament to buy and sell humans. No Packer is safe on the roster.

There is always the trade off in cutting experience in favor of physical ability and cutting physical ability for experience.

Please don't lecture me about a guy being an upgrade without seeing him play. That type thing went on with people like lemmings thinking Manuel was a starter when he has never proved to be one and never earned a starting job.

Finding a street free agent on the scrap heap one year and trading him for a third round pick the next year is the type of trade that can add value to the roster. Throwing away Roman, Sharper, Wahle, Thomas, Diggs, Thomas, and others with nothing in return loses value from the roster.

The GM will churn the bottom third of roster which seems to be his specialty. Like churning stocks in the stock market or spinning a car's tires on an icy street, there is a lot of activity but is forward progress being made?

Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Please don't lecture me about a guy being an upgrade without seeing him play.

I do agree there, it was not my intent.

Samkon was a great kid but lacked in the KR department. From past experience, Morency has shown something positive in the KR reutrn department. Dante Hall like? I am not going to even insult your intellegence by suggesting that. However compared to Gado/Herron, he is an upgrade.

In an analysis I heard on a sports show in Canada, they said Morency had some explosive punch to him, while Gado was more of the inside tough runner that Kubiak had said would have been useful for the Texans in their opener.

From that, I do take it that Morency is better suited to get the ball, one cut and go. With all due respect to him, I doubt Morency is planning to become a doctor after his playing career. It means he is more comfortable relying on his instincts, and just doing it as opposed to thinking about it. That seemed to slow Gado down.

So in theory, Morency is an upgrade in terms of the KR area and has the natural instincts that the coaches are looking for. However, in theory the earth was also flat. We all know how that worked out...

A more interesting question to pose might be IF Gado becomes a 1000 yard back with the Texans (assuming Texans run a similar version to Sherman's blocking scheme), would you have still traded Gado for Morency? Given that Gado isn't suited best for this system, that is one tough call to make.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Farve gets traded I am going with him to whatever team he is playing....I dont see that ever happening though, but I guess weird things can happen...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
If Farve gets traded I am going with him to whatever team he is playing....I dont see that ever happening though, but I guess weird things can happen...

I call BS :)

You be a Packer fan regardless. You know it. I know it. Your pillow knows it!

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
What if he geos to another team and retires ... then what team will you be cheering for :lol:

Members online

Latest posts