Interesting mock

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I don't see Armstead dropping that far.

This. Based on his physical attributes alone, he's going to go first round. Even if his production was average. He's like... Peppers-level of freak just based on his physical attributes.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the commentary after the guess of Perryman is correct, a lot of Packers fans will be disappointed, me included. The geek writes it’s time to start thinking about Hawk’s replacement and Perryman would serve as an upgrade to Barrington or Jones opposite Hawk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's likely Armstead gets drafted before Perryman. Another thing about Armstead is that he doesn't address a huge need for the Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

Drafting Armstead would be an acknowledgement that D. Jones is not the guy. I don't see that happening.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Armstead will be long gone before the #62 pick. He'll probably be gone by the time the Packers are on the board in the 1st. I also agree, he's too much like Datone Jones whom I do not think the Packers have given up on. Far from it, he seemed to show enough improvement this year to hope that he'll take another step forward next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he's the best guy by far when the Packers pick second, him not being need is not a big deal.

I don't expect him to be on the board when the Packers pick at #62. I wouldn't like the Packers to pick him in the first round though.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Armstead is being listed as a DT though? Hes like 6'8 290.

D

Deleted member 6794

Armstead is being listed as a DT though? Hes like 6'8 290.

He's listed at 6-7 and 292 on the official Combine website, way too small to play NT in a 3-4. He would for sure play DE in a scheme like that (either 3- or 5-technique).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's the best guy by far when the Packers pick second, him not being need is not a big deal.

Given all the factors, I don't think, certainly after the first few picks, that anyone is 'the best guy by far'. There a number of players all rated in the same general tier, and the pick will be one that helps in a particular area.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Given all the factors, I don't think, certainly after the first few picks, that anyone is 'the best guy by far'. There a number of players all rated in the same general tier, and the pick will be one that helps in a particular area.
Unless TT is on his game in which he trades down until there is only one player on that tier remaining.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gotta disagree. With every team's board being very different, I could see one team being much higher on one guy than others teams are so he slides down. Nick Collins, for example, was thought to be a reach. He must have just been much higher on the Packers board.

H

HardRightEdge

I was underwhelmed watching Armstead in the National Championship game. He made a play or two early, but was pushed around for the most part. If a guy this height does not use his hands to separate from the blocker, which Armstead does not, NFL linemen will have an easy job getting up under the pads for leverage. He doesn't have the nose for the ball you'd like to see, and I did not see much in the way pass rush technique other than a bull rush move.

He's all about the projection and needs a lot of technique work. Since guys with exceptional length are prized for the 3-4 DE position, somebody might pick him before #64. But they'll have drafted a projection, not a first year starter.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta disagree. With every team's board being very different, I could see one team being much higher on one guy than others teams are so he slides down. Nick Collins, for example, was thought to be a reach. He must have just been much higher on the Packers board.

No argument, I probably just didn't express my post correctly. What I meant was, for each team, at any given time, there isn't one guy that's higher on their board than everyone else. In your example, my thought is that, for the Packers, there were several players, of which Collins was one, who were at the top of the heap. Within that band, the guy who can help that team the most gets picked.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone always assumes you draft your number one pick to solve your greatest need. You pick according to the board you prepare and take the highest ranked player on the board regardless of position, in most instances. QB was not the highest need when Aaron Rodgers was selected but he became a Packer because he was the highest ranked player at the position on the board still available to Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone always assumes you draft your number one pick to solve your greatest need. You pick according to the board you prepare and take the highest ranked player on the board regardless of position, in most instances. QB was not the highest need when Aaron Rodgers was selected but he became a Packer because he was the highest ranked player at the position on the board still available to Green Bay.

Taking the best player in the entire league as the lone example doesn´t prove anything to me. In most cases position of need factors into a team´s pick.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given the Favre situation, QB may well have been viewed as critical, especially since most need some time on the bench. Also, there's almost never a single player that's the best available - it's a group/tier of similarly ranked players, and from that bunch, a need is met.

Members online

Latest posts