Interesting connection of current Packer coaches

Reaction score
From Christl's blog:

The coaching profession sometimes makes for strange bedfellows. This year, offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski has introduced the Green Bay Packers to a zone blocking scheme, which calls for cut blocks on the backside of running plays. Jagodzinski learned the scheme under Alex Gibbs in Atlanta the past two years. From 1993-'94, Gibbs was an assistant in Kansas City, a team that made effective use of cut blocks, particularly with its wide receivers. Mike McCarthy, the Packers' new head coach, was an offensive quality control coach those two years with the Chiefs.

A cut block is when an offensive player throws his body into the knees of a defender. It's a legal block if the defender isn't engaged with another blocker.

After Gibbs left, but while McCarthy was still with the Chiefs, there were two incidents in 1996 that stirred controversy, if not outright bitterness.

One occurred in a game against Seattle on Oct. 17. Kansas City wide receiver Chris Penn blindsided linebacker Winston Moss with a cut back. An enraged Moss retailiated and was thrown out of the game, although the NFL subsequently fined Penn $5,000 for an illegal cut block. Ten days later, Kansas City's Dale Carter, a Pro Bowl corner lining up at wide receiver, cut block Denver cornerback Lionel Washington. Washington suffered a partially torn knee ligament and while he was being attended to by the medical staff, Carter stood near him laughing.

Today, Moss and Washington are defensive assistants for the Packers, working with offensive coaches who won't apologize for teaching cut blocks and working for a head coach who was viewed as the enemy a decade ago.

Interesting, if not ironic.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if we have three 1,000-yard rushers this year. Tackling people by the facemask is effective, too. Cut blocking should be illegal - period.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Since69 said:
I don't care if we have three 1,000-yard rushers this year. Tackling people by the facemask is effective, too. Cut blocking should be illegal - period.

Facemask? Not really. It's effective on breaking fingers though for sure. More effective way is to aim for the hips, hold tight and dig your shoulder into them towards the ground.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
I don't know man.

We all didn't like it when Denver did it!
We all?
Please, do not speak for me you do not know me and that is not a true statement.

It's football. It's a rough game. If their cheap shots, thats lame, but the cut blocks I've seen are not cheap.

Deacon Jones I believe it was said it best when he said something about if you can not take getting your neck rung find a new job.

I know its not related speficially, but the point was NFL is rough, deal with it or find a new job that pays you millions of dollars to play 60 mins a week on a field of grass/turf for a living while being cheered by thousands, sometimes millions of fans.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I remember watching Denver who cut blocks and they definitely were performing crack backs and illegal blocking below the waste infractions, and I can almost guarantee that over time people are going to start complaining about the Packers and saying that they are a dirty team--like Denver, if they employ the same techniques. It seems to come along with the scheme.

And another thing, if you are a linebacker, you really don't appreciate some fat lineman crashing into the back or side of your knee when you are looking into the backfield trying to read the play.

I guess we'll see how this develops in GB.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Well, I remember watching Denver who cut blocks and they definitely were performing crack backs and illegal blocking below the waste infractions, and I can almost guarantee that over time people are going to start complaining about the Packers and saying that they are a dirty team--like Denver, if they employ the same techniques. It seems to come along with the scheme.

I just hate those "blocking below the waste" infractions. They're crappy calls in my opinion. :)

Members online

Latest posts