Interesting article...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
"Keep trying to pet a dog that bites them............" or, does this diminish dogs?

"Keep returning to an unfaithful lover......." or, does this diminish cads?

"Keep beating their head against a brick wall....." or, does this diminish brick walls?

"Keep sticking a fork in their eye...." or, does this diminish forks?

Any of these working for ya?

Since when are you a literalist?

HEHEHEHEHE....I really got to you!

Once again you bring up TT. To the best of my knowledge nobody knocked TT in this thread but that is what it is really about with you Sherman haters isn't it. I'd like to think that TT and Sherman can both be supported. Go back to my oroginal post here. I support TT and said I don't have a problem with what he did but I don't have to say that I agree with it. It was his decision. My original post was about the a-holes that turned it personal. I'm not really sure if you were one of them, but I don't think so.

If you start ripping his record I will defend him.

Dakota.....that is a good comparison. Denny Green and Tony Dungy, both of whom are still headcoaches and are not as "good people" as Sherman is. Please don't give me this "Dungy is a great guy" crap either....do some research.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not directing the TT comments to you, DePack. I know where you stand on him. Merely putting it in there pre-emptively as that is always where the conversation goes in defending Sherman..."Oh yeah...what about TT last year.....".

And, no....I do not take it personally or personalize it toward others....well, except 66 in the past when he really turned up the wattage.

And finally, DePack....I am not a Sherman hater any more than you are a TT hater. I defended him up until 3 seasons ago...vehemently, I might add....but his lapses in judgement became too much for me to bear, hence, a change in attitude. Simply put...hating takes too much energy...easy to do in your 20s...not so much in your 40s. I just was happy to see him go...that's all.

Are we buddies again? LOL

Reaction score
Damn you know it's getting a tad out of control when digs and DePack start going at it with each other. Can't we all just get along? :p

Seriously though digs, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Sherman made mistakes repeatedly, and never learned from them. I'm saying that we had a greater chance to get to the playoffs today with Sherman as compared to McCarthy. It seemed Sherman learned the hard way that he had to have a scheme fit his players last year, when he had to tone everything down a few notches to suit his players. I just think that the greatest chance of winning a SB is with Brett, as opposed to the immediate years after he retires. McCarthy and Sanders will need time to get into their groove, get the players in sync with their O system, but Sherman and to a lesser extent Bates wouldn't have needed that time. Add to that, that I wanted to see Brett go out on top, and I believe Sherman gave a greater chance of doing that.

Unfortunately, to say he had the team decline is not something I agree with completely. Yes the team decliened, but was it because of Sherman's coaching, or lack of depth and solid players on the roster that Sherman the GM had gotten? I would have liked to seen Sherman have a chance to show what he could do with a roster that had good players and some solid depth. I believe he could have done a lot better than 4-12, or even 9-7.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 years is a long time...and if the rumors are true (yes, only rumors) that some of the players had begun to tune the coaches out...change had to be made. I saw far too many times a look on Brett's face when the play came in that he was basically disgusted with what he wa being asked to do. That says a lot, to me, at least.

DePack and I are kinda like an old married couple at this point....we like to ***** at each other and stir the pot a bit......but in the end, we're good....especially now that he has a tasty set of **** and a man-gina!! LOL

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said,
Dakota.....that is a good comparison. Denny Green and Tony Dungy, both of whom are still headcoaches and are not as "good people" as Sherman is. Please don't give me this "Dungy is a great guy" crap either....do some research.

DePack, the reason why Dungy and Green are still coaching in the NFL, and Mike Sherman is not, is because they are better coaches. That's why.

Too many times did Sherman get conservative with a lead, choked in big games with his play calling, or deferred to Tom Rossley to do the play calling, that the Packers were beginning to become a joke! The only reason they made it to the playoffs so many times was because they had ol' #4 running the plays under center, and pulling their collective coaching fat out of the fire--numerous times.

You can't deny that Sherman made terrible decisions in big games when everything was on the line. Atlanta, Philadelphia, Minnesota, and the NY Jet games come to mind, and there were others. Sherman was just not a very good game day coach period!

His unflinching loyalty to Tom Rossley was another reason for his demise. TT did the right thing. The Packers were never going to get any further with Coach Sherman at the helm. He's the typical coach that looks good, says the right thing, and is a nice guy and all, but just does not have what it takes to win football games when it counts--in the post season..imo.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
all about da packers said:
Thats the thing, I don't think pyle and I are saying McCarthy is the worst choice ever.

How could he be worst choice ever? He hasn't even stepped a foot on the field as an HC so how can ANY statement be said regarding best/worst or anything?

I agree Z2C...no way to tell either way right now. You know it's a cut-throat business when people are already discounting you before you've even been given the chance...wow.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or...this forum has its fair share of psychics!

I will wait to judge MM on his performance...which has not yet begun. I had 6 years to witness MS's performance, which made it easy for me to make conclusions.

Someone mentioned yesterday that MM was a bad choice because he was a second choice. Holmgren was a THIRD choice after Parcells and Schottenheimer. How, praytell, did he do what he did given his less than auspicious entry to the HC ranks?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...the term "Sherman hater" is an analogy...LOL/j/k

I got no problem. I keep telling myself not to get worked up when people bash Sherman but for reasons you know about I really respect the man. He could have done a better job and I don't have a problem with the new regime. AADP you'll never break digs and me up so stop trying LOL.

Whoever said Green and Dungy are so much better than Sherman are basing that strictly on an opinion. These two haven't gotten much better talent into the Super Bowl than Sherman hasn't. Did anybody follow that? If it truly is "about what you do in the playoffs" like trom and others have said these two should never be allowed to coach another team.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line is that we all need to see what McCarthy can do on gamedays. Speculating how he'll do because of what's happened in OTAs or during some press conference is assinine in my opinion.

Let the man be judged like all head coaches should be...how many marks does he put in the win column as compared to the loss column.

(BTW, for those that want to point out Sherman's regular season record, go ahead. I'm fine with that...bottom line was that he may have accumulated that kind of record in spite of some of his game-day decisions, not because of them).

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green being a HC still makes me scratch my head. Dungy is a decent coach, but his reputation is beginning to mirror that of his QB.....a choker when it matters. He is running out of chances as a HC in my book.

Yeah, AADP....what he said!! A Stevie Wonder song comes to mind...."You are the sunshine of my life...forever you'll stay in my heart.................LOL

Now, get over here, DePack....and bring Daddy his beer!!

Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Yeah, AADP....what he said!! A Stevie Wonder song comes to mind...."You are the sunshine of my life...forever you'll stay in my heart.................LOL

I'm pretty sure I speak for all the members of this forum when I say NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE (ok maybe tromadz) wants to read about what you do with depack. The funny thing is DePack has yet to actualy decline your advances.... :shock:

Seriously, digs you were referring to me when I said McCarthy wasn't first choice, but my problem lies that Bates had the job, until he had a fallout with Ted. That is when Ted decided to give the job to McCarthy. (What I've heard) Should this rumour be true, I mean it doesn't give me the greatest confidence in our coach, but true, he could turn out to be a wonderful choice. I just don't think he will come in right away and have this team contending, it will take time if it happens, and unfortunately time isn't on the side of our HOF QB's side. I just really want to see Favre go out on top...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"what I do with DePack?" What I do TO DePack!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I know what you are saying AADP...Sherman, despite his shortcomings, was in better position to hit the ground running whereas MM has yet to get his feet wet.

That said, I am of the mindset that when a change is deemed necessary, there is no reason to prolong the inevitable.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyle asks previously: "Do you think Sherman approached playoff games any differently than regular season games?"

The answer, and the problem is, NO, he did not approach them differently. The intensity rises in the playoffs and Sherman's teams never seemed to display that urgency...hence the lackluster performances. Coupled with a persistently depleting roster...the results speak for themselves.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
digsthepack said:

I'm pretty sure I speak for all the members of this forum when I say NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE (ok maybe tromadz) wants to read about what you do with depack. The funny thing is DePack has yet to actualy decline your advances.... :shock:

It's pretty hard to DECLINE them........while at the same time driving from Delaware to the Twin Cities. :wink:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Tony Dungy and Denny Green are excellent coaches. Both built franchises from the dead. Mike Sherman took control of an already solid team. Sherman is a great guy but being a great guy doesn't mean you should be an NFL Head Coach. With that said Sherman got a nice pay from Green Bay and is also the offensive line coach for the Texans. He's a good coach, maybe not a great coach but a good coach that will get another job Head Coaching eventually.

Latest posts